Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good book/website for baseball rules?

nightowl

Another day on that hamster wheel we call life
Any recommendations? Most stuff online just seems to cover the basics, which I know already. Looking for something more in depth.

Do you really mean rules? They're pretty straightforward. Strategy and tactics are shorely more to the point?

Do you really mean rules? They're pretty straightforward. Strategy and tactics are shorely more to the point?

I think the basics are straightforward but then you end up in all the more in depth stuff like when is a 'hit' not a hit because it's affected by things like 'errors' etc etc.

I think the basics are straightforward but then you end up in all the more in depth stuff like when is a 'hit' not a hit because it's affected by things like 'errors' etc etc.

batter hits a grounder to short. the fielder scoops it up and throws in time but sails it over the first baseman's head. the official scorer (who is not the umpire) will judge that routinely it would have been an out, but the batter reached because of the throw. that's an error, not a hit.

there's also a fielder's choice. man on first, batter hits a grounder to the second baseman, who is between first and second. the guy on first must go, and if the second baseman is positioned just right, he can throw equally easily to first or second. that's not a hit either, since the batter would reach because the fielder chose to throw to second.

Thanks. Couple more questions in the meantime.

If there's one person on base who scores due to the batter's effort but the batter scores as well is the latter credited with 2 RBI?

Bit confused by attachment from YouTube rules video. It starts off by saying on less than 2 outs on a fly ball you can't run until the ball is caught... but then goes on to say 'if you run on a fly ball with less than 2 outs and the defense catches it...' Am I reading this wrong or is it contradicting itself?

Attachments

• 20240829_233648.jpg
    20240829_233648.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom