Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gold facism

ska invita

back on the other side
Starting to annoy me now, people in tears because they get silver, commentators treating non-gold winners like someone who's just lost a relative, i saw one woman crying saying 'im so sorry to the country who wanted me to get a gold, i hope you'll forgive me'.

No-one but you really cares if you get a gold or not.

It wasnt always like this was it?

The British have been watching too much American trash tv and their stiff upper lips are loosening up ;)

No-one but you could give a shit if you get a gold or not.
I'm not sure if you meant to be as blunt as this but I think people, including me, do give a shit if they win a gold or not. It obviously doesn't matter if they don't win the gold or a medal as long as they give their best but I'm very pleased for any of them who win the gold medal, or indeed if they win a silver or bronze.

Apparently if you only get silver you will have all your Sport England funding stopped and be immediately given 12 months of workfare, this has been decided as value for money as fit and healthy athletes will be able to stack shelves in Poundland double quick.

I'm not sure if you meant to be as blunt as this but I think people, including me, do give a shit if they win a gold or not. It obviously doesn't matter if they don't win the gold or a medal as long as they give their best but I'm very pleased for any of them who win the gold medal, or indeed if they win a silver or bronze.
And what if they don't "give their best"?

Apparently if you only get silver you will have all your Sport England funding stopped and be immediately given 12 months of workfare, this has been decided as value for money as fit and healthy athletes will be able to stack shelves in Poundland double quick.

Sport England funding should be in the form of loans which have to be paid back like other student loans. This would focus their minds a bit and stamp out this pathetic 'oh well, I did my best' attitude.

A Gold medal means plenty of work endorsing McDonalds and Nandos chicken.

Bronze and silver...worthless.

It's worse than thsat. Team gb athletes who get a silver will be quietly kneecapped after the games, while those who get a bronze will have their elbows done too.

You said, it doesn't matter as long as they "give their best", presumably then it matters to you if they don't?
It doesn't matter to me if they don't try their best but I wouldn't be supportive of them if they didn't.

I would think it odd that they've presumably trained hard for 4 years to get there and when they got there, they didn't bother to try.

I'm struggling to see what point you are trying to make. Do you think there are any athletes at the Olympics not trying to do their best?

It doesn't matter to me if they don't try their best but I wouldn't be supportive of them if they didn't.

I would think it odd that they've presumably trained hard for 4 years to get there and when they got there, they didn't bother to try.

I'm struggling to see what point you are trying to make. Do you think there are any athletes at the Olympics not trying to do their best?

Maybe he's thinking of the badminton players ;)

What's wrong with saying he's from Belfast?
There is nothing wrong with saying it, as presumably it is true. What seemed strange is that he is from Belfast and representing Ireland when I thought the GB team is actually GB and NI (and Belfast is in Northern Ireland). I know that in a lot of sports Ireland compete as a whole nation, but not sure of the situation for he Olympics.

Maybe he's thinking of the badminton players ;)
I was going to mention the badminton (and football). I wouldn't have been happy if I'd been there to see that rubbish. However, whilst they might not have been giving their best in those games, it was for tactical reasons rather than them not wanting to do their best in the competition as a whole.

I'd like to see comentators and spectators who think silver (let alone bronze) medals are worthless prove that they could do better than that themselves. Coming second or third out of the very best 8 in that particular sport on the day is quite an achievement, as is even qualifying to be at the olympics.

Don't folk in NI get to pick which county's passport they take?

It seems to depend on the sport they're competing in too

Belfast man Paddy Barnes won a bronze for ROI in boxing - all amateur boxing in NI is run under the auspices of the IABA, an all-Ireland body. This is why a few years back Wayne McCullough, from Belfast's staunchly Loyalist Shankill Road, won a silver medal for ROI.

from the comments on this blog

There is nothing wrong with saying it, as presumably it is true. What seemed strange is that he is from Belfast and representing Ireland when I thought the GB team is actually GB and NI (and Belfast is in Northern Ireland). I know that in a lot of sports Ireland compete as a whole nation, but not sure of the situation for he Olympics.

NI folk can be British or to be Irish. It's up to the individual. Not just in terms of sport, but in their actual real life. Once you know that, I suppose it makes it a bit easier to understand.

Back
Top Bottom