Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Going to Berlin in March! where to go - what to see?

Kaka Tim

Half Arsed and Slapdash till I Die
Myself and wife are off to berlin for a long weeked end of march - would appreciate advice on wheres good to stay etc.
Not bothered about high end tourist stuff - but bars, music , cafes in a vaguely alternative, boho style- and nice parks - kind of thing.

She likes the look of this place in in Kreuzberg -

Rental unit in Berlin · ★5.0 · 1 bedroom · 1 bed · 1 bathroom

Danke in advance! :)

Last edited:
Depending on how alternative you're looking for, the radar.squat.net listings are still pretty good for stuff around the autonomen-type scene: Events: Berlin | radar.squat.net
You should be able to find somewhere doing kufa/voxku meals pretty much every night of the week if you're interested.
Oh, and Stressfaktor's still going as well, that'll probably be much the same info: Termine | Stressfaktor
And they've got a place called The Black Lodge that's decorated like the Black Lodge, that's fun to see as well.

We've not been since 2018 sadly. :( It's an amazing place though. We really liked the area around Warschauer Straße for a drink before heading to a club, but no idea what it's like now.

It's fan to just walk around and using the metro when needed.

Treptower park, the Soviet War Memorial is totally bonkerz complete with poetry by Stalin.
Also Teufelsberg (old listening station) if you can still get up to it. Amazing views over the city.
The Philharmonie Konzerthalle is one of the finest in Europe. It's always a hot ticket , book in advance.

In March it can snow or the sun can come out and be spring like, prepare for anything.

Yeah DDR museum was really good. Also Jewish museum, the art in the central auditorium is mind blowing.

I loved the Flak tower tour, scary stuff.

Did find a couple of decent bars but it was so long ago they will probably have been gentrified so just have some touristy suggestions, sorry.

Definitely go to Bernauer Str. and to the Berlin Wall Visitor Centre and over the road there’s the Wall Memorial, where an area of the wall is preserved and there’s lots of info around and murals on the sides of buildings. If you go on Sunday morning then carry on to the Mauerpark where there’s a good flea market and you can grab a beer and a currywurst. From there head down Oderberger Str. then to Kastenienallee where there’s loads of bars, eateries and shops.

If you to the Brandenburg Gate not far from that is the Memorial to the Murdered European Jews which is worth seeing, and near there is where Hitler’s bunker was where it all ended - it’s now just a small car park but there’s an info board marking it out.

The tv tower at Alexanderplatz is ok but don’t do what I did and go up after dark as the views are ruined by the inside lights reflecting on the glass.

Last edited:
Myself and wife are off to berlin for a long weeked end of march - would appreciate advice on wheres good to stay etc.
Not bothered about high end tourist stuff - but bars, music , cafes in a vaguely alternative, boho style- and nice parks - kind of thing.

She likes the look of this place in in Kreuzberg -

Rental unit in Berlin · ★5.0 · 1 bedroom · 1 bed · 1 bathroom

Danke in advance! :)
I loved Treptower Park and Templelhof Airport, but it's depressing seeing how much the place had gentrified between each visit. I'd still love to go back soon though.

Here's a load of photo features you might find interesting:

We went earlier this year ( Ms 747 lived in east Berlin for a year in DDR times).

They have recently opened part of the Stasi HQ as a museum. Fascinating and horrific in equal measure. Definitely worth going to.

If you have time go out to Potsdam. The town is beautiful and all the palaces are amazing; you can also see the Glenicker Bridge, scene of many of the spy exchanges of the Cold War. Go on a sunny day. They do a hop on hop off bus round all of the site.

Last edited:
Next time, I'm going to check out all the Bowie related places of interest while playing, "Where Are We Now?" and get hopelessly emotional.

1705535147413.png

We went earlier this year ( Ms 747 lived in east Berlin for a year in DDR times).

They have recently opened part of the Stasi HQ as a museum. Fascinating and horrific in equal measure. Definitely worth going to.

Absolutely this! A quite riveting museum and when I went, not busy or particularly heavily touristy. Easy access by U-Bahn to Magdalenenstraße, which is one of the stations that retains all its DDR-era art.

Good/cheap little bakery/coffeeshop on the next block along that also looked like it hadn't changed much since the DDR-days either and offered a better choice for lunch than the very basic cafe at the museum.

If you have tone go out to Potsdam. The town is beautiful and all the palaces are amazing; you can also see the Glenicker Bridge, scene of many of the spy exchanges niche Cold War. Go on a sunny day. They do a hop on hop off bus round all of the site.

Also good - you don't need the Ho-Ho, there is a tram, from right beside the S-Bahn station to within a minute or two's walk of the bridge, then you can walk back into the centre through a lot of faded elegance. The restoration of the centre is also remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom