Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Going to a wedding in Bristol BS1

MrSki

Who am I to say you're wrong
On the 21st (a week tomorrow) I am going to my Goddaughters wedding at The Old Council House in Bristol followed by a reception at Zion BS13. Due to liking a tipple I would probably be best staying the night/s. anyone who is local got any recommendations for somewhere cheap & cheerful?

Thanks in advance.

I can’t think offhand, loads of hotels. Is Zion house not in BS3? If so it’s near the White House B and B. Which bizarrely is the second time I’ve mentioned it this weekend. It was on the most awful terrible dirty places thing years ago. It’s improved. Loads of contractors, builders stay there.

Oh ignore that, I’ve just seen it’s in Bedminster down. not million miles away but not where I was thinking of. Zion I mean.

So what I have found is the three budget hotels near the temple meads train station are all booked up.
What's your budget?

So what I have found is the three budget hotels near the temple meads train station are all booked up.
What's your budget?
Thanks kalidarkone Well as cheap as possible cos I am not rich. Think I might have to stay soberish & do it as a day trip if I can't find anything cheapish.

We stayed at a hotel near Bristol Temple Meads, a multi-storey, part of an international chain. Can't remember the name, but it was awful. The staff could not have been less interested if they'd tried. The receptionist was too busy on her phone to want to deal with guests.

When we booked we had been told there was parking. There wasn't, although there was a public car park 5 minutes walk away.

When we were unloading the luggage at the front of the hotel a cyclist shouted abuse at us and kicked the car as he went past, and, no, there was no prohibition on stopping outside for this.

Overall, I will never go back to Bristol, the hotel, and the overall experience there was dreadful.

We stayed at a hotel near Bristol Temple Meads, a multi-storey, part of an international chain. Can't remember the name, but it was awful. The staff could not have been less interested if they'd tried. The receptionist was too busy on her phone to want to deal with guests.

When we booked we had been told there was parking. There wasn't, although there was a public car park 5 minutes walk away.

When we were unloading the luggage at the front of the hotel a cyclist shouted abuse at us and kicked the car as he went past, and, no, there was no prohibition on stopping outside for this.

Overall, I will never go back to Bristol, the hotel, and the overall experience there was dreadful.

So you've blamed the entire city...

So you've blamed the entire city...
I had such a bad experience while visiting I'm not interested in going again. Not just the hotel, but pretty much everywhere. People were unfriendly and unhelpful in the shops and restaurants. It was things like going into fast food place 20 minutes before closing, and them not wanting to serve us because they were closing and the friers were already off. So, yes, I blame the city, or at least the people we encountered there.

The Whitehouse looks like a good bet from BS13. Also a cheap place called the Washington up the hill from town towards Clifton. 35-40 quid a night-ish.

What about just a room on airbnb somewhere that looks nice in Bedminster? Fuck staying by Temple meads or the city centre of Bristol, guaranteed expensive and shit. Lol dessiato driving to Bristol and staying by temple meads.... that sounds horrendous :D

How are you getting to Bristol MrSki?

Last edited:
How are you getting to Bristol MrSki?
I was planning on getting the train but there are engineering works on the Yeovil to Bristol line & otherwise I might need to go back to Salisbury & then down to Bristol. Whichever way is a pain & means getting a 7am train! Thanks for your suggestions Riklet :thumbs:

Thank you for all your help. Ended up getting a taxi both ways. Booked V cars on Friday night before I read the reviews :eek: Luckily they were only 15 minutes late picking me up which was a godsend cos I had overslept.£68 was cheaper than Uber. Used them again on the way home but were almost an hour late but it didn't really matter as I just had a couple of Jamersons whilst waiting. Lovely drivers both ways and cheapish. Gave them both a fiver tip for talking & not talking but it was a good day. :thumbs:

Also the caterers which were Katies Kitchen were top notch too. Great grub.

Would love to go to Bristol again because it seemed well worth a visit & not been there since the late 80s so I expect it has changed a lot. If there is ever a Bristol meet up then please tag me in. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom