Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glasgow recommendations

Crimble crumble.
Good news everybody. I'm finally going on my long-dreamed-of holiday to Glasgow. I've got about 5 days there and then heading to housesit at my friend's house at the seaside. I'm staying in a hostel. Any top recommendations for Glasgow? I have the arts cinema on my list along with the college of printing. Also interested in cafes, cheap eats and good parks or indeed just anything else you think I shouldn't miss.

Here's some pointers. No doubt I've missed loads.

Cafes:

Café Gandolfi
- Cafe Gandolfi - Cafe Gandolfi Restaurant Glasgow, Scotland

Albion Street, Merchant city. A Glasgow institution, sounds Italian but is run by Gaelic speakers from the Hebrides. This is where to have a nice breakfast to treat yourself. And maybe a bloody Mary.

University Café - University Cafe, Glasgow - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Byres Road, West End. Not part of the uni, just near(ish) to it. An old-fashioned Italian family run greasy spoon/chip shop. Hasn’t changed since 1918.

Mother India’s Café - À la carte

Argyle Street, West End. Opposite the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, on the Finnieston side. Tapas style Indian food, freshly prepared, delicious.

Little Curry House - Little Curry House Glasgow | Wee Curry Shop Glasgow | Little Curry House Glasgow | Indian Restaurant & Take Away Glasgow

Byres Road, West End. Exactly what it says.

La Bodega - http://www.labodegaglasgow.com

South Street, calls itself “West End”, but is so far along towards Clydebank it could be in the sea. Opposite the Scotstoun bus depot, on an industrial street. Scruffy little tapas bar, not nearly as refined as the website makes it look. But it has a great vibe and good live music.

Museums:

The People’s Palace - About People's Palace

Glasgow Green, East End. History of Glasgow’s people.

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum - Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

Childhood favourite of mine. Great collection of Scottish Colourists.

The Hunterian Museum - University of Glasgow - The Hunterian

Part of Glasgow university. Really cool.

Market:

The Barras, Gallowgate, East End. Saturday and Sunday. A Glasgow institution.

Bookshops

Voltaire & Rousseau - Second Hand Book Store in Glasgow / Voltaire & Rousseau

Otago Lane, West End. You have to go here. The worst laid out bookshop in the world. But fantastic stock and knowledgeable staff. One of my favourite places ever.

Calton Books - Calton Books - Glasgow's Independent Radical Bookshop

London Road, East End. Near the Barras. Leftie books.

Pubs:

Loads of great pubs. Here’s 3.

Scotia Bar - The Scotia Bar - GLASGOW - Belhaven

Stockwell Street, City Centre. Very old, very low ceiling, been drunk in here millions of times. Played music here too.

Clutha - The Clutha Bar

Opposite the Scotia. If you get chucked out of one, you stagger to the other. I’ve played music here too. Famous music pub in Glasgow. Refurbished after the helicopter crash.

Dukes Bar - Welcome

Old Dumbarton Road, Finnieston. Handy for Mother India Café and the Art Gallery. Much more trendy than it was when I first started frequenting it, but I retain an attachment to it.

Record Shops:

Monorail Music - Monorail

Kings Court, City Centre. Great record shop, run by Stephen Pastel. Attached to Mono Café Bar - Mono

Mixed Up Records - Mixed Up Records, Glasgow record shop selling vinyl LPs, CDs and DVDs

Otago Lane, West End. Next to Voltaire & Rousseau bookshop. A great second-hand collection.

Ichiban fusion on Dumbarton Road. Cheap good Japanese food, also a short walk from kelvingrove museum and the transport museum by the Clyde. Also the new kelvinhall museum and archive complex across the road from kelvingrove.

THe mackintosh house at the University of Glasgow. Amazing experience of his former home.

Here's some pics from my recent visit. We played the Mono Club which was pretty good - it certainly had more soul to it that the Stereo gig we normally play.

Glasgow photos: rainswept streets, street scenes, street art and sunlight, Feb 2020

Glasgow photos: rainswept streets, street scenes, street art and sunlight, Feb 2020

Back
Top Bottom