Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glasgow pubs

Yossarian

⏭️
I'm going to be in Glasgow tomorrow night ahead of a morning flight and feel like it would be rude not to at least visit a pub or two, anywhere good in the Queen Street area?

If you want to venture a little further east, I used to like Heilan Jessie on Gallowgate. I haven’t been there for years, but I’ve had many great nights there. Also, just before you get there, the Saracen’s Head is world famous, and you might like to pop in to say you’ve been. It’s not what it used to be. I can remember when it had draught sherry (not optic, but hand pump), but it’s a lot more gentille these days.

Gallowgate isn’t far beyond the Merchant City.

But the ones I mentioned before are more central.

Is they your hardcore sectarian rangers pubs?

The Horseshoe is a notable 'non football' puibs. The Scotias/Clutha are folky/Lefty/older mans boozers. The Scotia and Clutha are more Celtic inclined because of the clientele but not where you'll get the Rebs on the jukebox or a rebel singer/band playing.

Queen Street isn't exactly brilliant frankly. Slightly further afield there's plenty to choose from. If you are peckish Paesano pizza on Miller Street is worth a visit. The Counting House-a Weatherspoons bar on George Square, massive pub, lots of beers and some decent grub is worth a look. If you want to go 'posh' The Atlantic bar and grill on St Vincent Street is worth a look. Personally i'd walk the quarter mile to High Street a
and go to McChuills, a Leftish/Music/Celtic pub run by Nick an old mod who runs a cracking pub. The Horseshoe on Drury Lane is, as has been suggested, worth a look. As is the Pot Still on Hope Street if you like whisky, it has about 400+ different whiskies on sale.
Just a few suggestions there.

Also worth a trip is the Alston Bar in Central station, cracking place for a variety of Gins. Also The Beer Cafe on Merchant Square in the Merchant City.

I only made it as far as the Horseshoe and the Scotia, both fine pubs indeed - if I hadn't needed to be up early I would most definitely have carried on to McChuills and sought out a pakora supper afterward.

I hardly ever saw any fights in 'rough' London pubs so I'd be very surprised. it was my lazy association of Glasgow with violence.

I hardly ever saw any fights in 'rough' London pubs so I'd be very surprised. it was my lazy association of Glasgow with violence.
Well, despite that reputation, I’ve always found Glasgow a very friendly city. I lived and worked there in the 90s, often doing night shifts or back shifts in the Gorbals. I’d get off the Subway at Bridge St, walk through Hutchesontown and onto Ballater Street at all times of night. Never felt in the least bit under threat.

And I’ve been going to Glasgow for nights out for decades, in various parts of the city. It’s a great place. I’d go back and live there like a flash, maybe in my retirement, if the circumstances arose. Sometimes check out prices of flats there in idle moments.

I found Glasgow to be a very 'atomised' city - the places I lived, Hillhead, Kelvindale and Langside were very safe, lovely, friendly places to live that simply had no relationship with the Glasgow of Taggart or any of the media portrayals that were around at the time or previously - but there were other places, some less than 500 yards from the tree-lined, 'nice' areas inhabited by people like me, that certainly appeared to be very different propositions entirely - and there was very little crossover between them.

I took part in what can only be described as an 'outreach project' in 2000/1 run by Glasgow City Council and the various universities in Glasgow - standard stuff, send students and recent graduates to the schools that don't send kids to uni, talk to the kids and try to show them it's entirely within their grasp. Overwhelmingly the kids had no 'went to university' role models in their family lives and they just didn't believe that graduate careers were open to 'people like them' - anyway, what surprised me (surprisingly perhaps...) was the number of kids from Maryhill (and this was repeated across the city) who had never been into the more prosperous areas that abutted the neighborhoods they lived in. I recall chatting to a 30+ class of 15/16yo's in Maryhill, and not one of them had either been to Byres Road or to the University and it's museums. It's a 10 minute walk...

Well, despite that reputation, I’ve always found Glasgow a very friendly city. I lived and worked there in the 90s, often doing night shifts or back shifts in the Gorbals. I’d get off the Subway at Bridge St, walk through Hutchesontown and onto Ballater Street at all times of night. Never felt in the least bit under threat.

And I’ve been going to Glasgow for nights out for decades, in various parts of the city. It’s a great place. I’d go back and live there like a flash, maybe in my retirement, if the circumstances arose. Sometimes check out prices of flats there in idle moments.

It's a great city, I hadn't been there since I was a teenager and I'd forgotten how much I liked it. Think I'm going to give Alisdair Gray's "Lanark" another read.

Back
Top Bottom