Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gift for someone moving to Austria?

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
My oldest friend's birthday is next week and as she's moving to Austria in a few months I'd like to get her something related to that.

She's done a lot of travelling and will no doubt have other stuff bought either herself or for her, so want to get a bit more Austria-specific.

I was thinking maybe a book about someone living in Austria, that evokes the feeling of living there? Or, alternatively, maybe a voucher/ticket for something to do once she gets there, although obviously that's tricky as can't guarantee she'll enjoy it. Is there something like the Art Pass here in UK, that gets you access to various different things so she can pick and choose?

She lived there for a year during her studies and so knows the city pretty well already, meaning a general Lonely Planet guide or phrasebook ain't gonna cut it.

41tTZSUxoyL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My oldest friend's birthday is next week and as she's moving to Austria in a few months I'd like to get her something related to that.

She's done a lot of travelling and will no doubt have other stuff bought either herself or for her, so want to get a bit more Austria-specific.

I was thinking maybe a book about someone living in Austria, that evokes the feeling of living there? Or, alternatively, maybe a voucher/ticket for something to do once she gets there, although obviously that's tricky as can't guarantee she'll enjoy it. Is there something like the Art Pass here in UK, that gets you access to various different things so she can pick and choose?

She lived there for a year during her studies and so knows the city pretty well already, meaning a general Lonely Planet guide or phrasebook ain't gonna cut it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fin-Siecle-Vienna-Politics-Culture/dp/0394744780

Something to remind her of home or someone connected with Austria is the first question.
th
Connected with Austria. I figured she's got enough to remind her of home, plus the message of the gift should be positive and about Austria rather than about home.

Get her a packet of kaesekrainer cheese sausages, they sell 'em in the German shop in Borough Market. Truly the food of the goods and sold at all the best Austrian sausage stands.

I like that they've put the author in a much bigger font than the title, so they came reel in a few airport sales from punters in a hurry who sort of half-remember the writer's name, but are a bit hazy on what they might have written.
‘UNFORGETTABLE! THIS GUY KNOWS ALL THE TRICKS TO MANIPULATE AN AUDIENCE!’

‘BRINGING TOGETHER A PAINTER'S EYE AND A PAEDOPHILE'S MOUSTACHE IN A SINGLE SUPERCHARGED EXTRAVAGANZA’

‘LIKE DAN BROWN ON CRACK’

‘BALL-TO-THE-WALL ACTION AND EXCITEMENT!’

</embossed cover>

What about some decent tea bags? Vacuvin wine stopper thing - good wine there.

Subscription to a vpn so they can watch British tv?

Some amusing picture dictionary or German joke book?

Always give anyone going abroad some Marmite :thumbs:
Even if they don't like it, they're guaranteed to make a friend of someone by giving it away when they arrive.

(Sorry, I misread the OP but it's good advice for when the big day comes)
Marmite keeps forever.

I was going to suggest Mozart Balls...but then saw it would need to be a more permanent gift.
If your friend is in to jewellery or very nice sparkly decorative things you could always go down the Swarovski route.

413QAgPjD2L._SY355_.jpg

Enough about getting her a gift - get her to start shipping back crates of Red Bull Cola :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom