Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ghost Signs - A London Story

RoyReed

Must fly!
Over the past six months of lockdown I've been working with Sam Roberts (Mr Ghostsigns) to produce a book on London's Ghost Signs - Sam's words and (mainly) my photos. We've teamed up with small publisher Isola Press and have a Kickstarter to raise funds to get the book published and printed. The book will feature about 250 of London's 750+ ghost signs, and will include essays on the production and history of ghost signs in general and an article on each featured sign.

Commit No Nuisance - Great Guildford Street - Roy Reed - DS3_3162.jpg

Hovis Warner Bros - Inchmery Road - Roy Reed - DS4_9266.jpg

Our Sons - Electric Lane - Roy Reed - DS2_5358.jpg

The book will be accompanied by a detailed online map, locating all of the signs. You can see a working copy of the map here. This will be updated once the book is published.

Thanks editor for the article in Brixton Buzz.

I love a ghost sign but have only just found this thread.
I searched for it because this has just cropped up in the news

I love a ghost sign but have only just found this thread.
I searched for it because this has just cropped up in the news

If anyone's thinking of donating their photos to Historic England's map, you should read their Ts&Cs first.

I should add that my co-author Sam Roberts has been trying to get Historic England to do something on the existence of ghost signs for the last ten years, but now that they've done it at last it's without any reference to Sam or his work as the acknowledged world expert on the (albeit niche) subject.

If anyone's thinking of donating their photos to Historic England's map, you should read their Ts&Cs first.

I should add that my co-author Sam Roberts has been trying to get Historic England to do something on the existence of ghost signs for the last ten years, but now that they've done it at last it's without any reference to Sam or his work as the acknowledged world expert on the (albeit niche) subject.
when i saw this i thought they might have said to themselves aha there's a market we can make something in

A ghost sign in South Woodford (featured in our book) has just been painted out by the owners of the new café that's about to open there. I posted about it on Twitter and had 85,000 views. The owners are now trying to clean off their overpainting after a massive series of complaints from local people. Historic England were informed, but all there's been from them, despite their new found interest in ghost signs, is silence.

The original sign for Lidstone Butchers
LIDSTONE flickr - Mark Charnock.jpg

The overpainting - carried out at night
Lidstones b.jpg

The beginnings of the attempt to clean off the overpainting
Lidstones 2b.jpg

Just to add, that after a lot of pestering from Sam and me, Historic England have updated the Ts&Cs for contributing photos to their map.

Sadly one of our local ghost signs has been smashed to bits relatively recently; the old shop windows for Waygoods Radio just off of Norwood High Street have been smashed:
IMG_20231203_141039.jpg
IMG_20231203_141056.jpg
(Pic taken on my partner's mobile when there was a market on so wasn't able to get the whole thing in one shot - must have been done very recently as there was still broken glass around)

Sadly one of our local ghost signs has been smashed to bits relatively recently; the old shop windows for Waygoods Radio just off of Norwood High Street have been smashed:
View attachment 407312
View attachment 407315
(Pic taken on my partner's mobile when there was a market on so wasn't able to get the whole thing in one shot - must have been done very recently as there was still broken glass around)
oh no, i know that spot, opposite Greggs....didnt realise it was fragile. Shite

View attachment 407312
View attachment 407315
That's really bad. Thanks for letting me know.

This is what the sign looked like when I photographed it back in 2016.

DS1_3857.jpg

Can anyone have a go at decoding this very faded ghostsign at 6 Queen Square, Holborn.

Faded Ghostsign by Roy Reed, on Flickr

I've checked back for clues in these PO directories.

1841.png

1895.png

1910.png

1915.png

1939.png

If anyone wants to look really closely at the ghostsign I've got a very large 48bit TIF file (approx 17500x4250px). It's about 430MB, so I'd have to share it via WeTransfer. PM me with your email address if you want a look.

Back
Top Bottom