Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ghost Signs - A London Story

I've been in Queens Square today, sitting with a coffee before visiting the October Gallery, I would have had a closer look if I'd have seen your post before :D

Here's a curiosity in Lovelace Road, just off the South Circular at Tulse Hill. Apparently the sign was made with the arrow pointing the wrong way and the person mounting it turned it upside down so that it pointed in the right direction.

Lavatories by Roy Reed, on Flickr

Lavatories by Roy Reed, on Flickr

I'm not sure, but I think the lavatories in question used to be on the corner of Elmcourt Road and the South Circular.

Where actually is that? I'm sure I remember seeing it myself but can't place it and your postcode isn't helping.

It's the wee parade of shops on Rosendale Road in between The Rosendale pub and the south circ: Query Features | OpenStreetMap

I think the Oddbins there closed late last year, not sure how long the frontage has been off but this was the first time I noticed it anyway.

I did a cursory search for Gough Brothers but nothing relevant seemed to turn up.

It's the wee parade of shops on Rosendale Road in between The Rosendale pub and the south circ: Query Features | OpenStreetMap

I think the Oddbins there closed late last year, not sure how long the frontage has been off but this was the first time I noticed it anyway.

I did a cursory search for Gough Brothers but nothing relevant seemed to turn up.
Ah yes. I went down there on my way to the Lambeth Country Show.

Google Maps was showing that postcode as being Park Hall Rd on the other side of Croxted Rd, where Cook etc is and where Cafe Rouge used to be.

A wine merchant?

Attachments

• companies_house_document.pdf
    649.6 KB · Views: 6
The postcode was cribbed off a random directory listing for Oddbins so it could possibly be wrong, but putting SE21 8EZ in to OSM lands me right on top of The Rosendale pub.

Nice find Sweet FA - I'd seen a number of entries for a Gough Brothers registered in 1941 in Bedfordshire but none of them mentioned the business being a wine merchants; it'd certainly be in keeping with transforming in to an Oddbins at some point.

Here's a curiosity in Lovelace Road, just off the South Circular at Tulse Hill. Apparently the sign was made with the arrow pointing the wrong way and the person mounting it turned it upside down so that it pointed in the right direction.

this is giving me a slight :hmm: - i'm not quite sure it's original in that location.

i've seen signs pointing towards public carseys before, but not one quite like that, and seems an odd thing to put up in a residential street. signs in a maon road where the bogs are down a back street or alley-way, yes.

The OS were fairly good at marking public conveniences on the large scale maps. 1897, 1916 and 1952 editons don't show anything that would match.

this is giving me a slight :hmm: - i'm not quite sure it's original in that location.

i've seen signs pointing towards public carseys before, but not one quite like that, and seems an odd thing to put up in a residential street. signs in a maon road where the bogs are down a back street or alley-way, yes.

The OS were fairly good at marking public conveniences on the large scale maps. 1897, 1916 and 1952 editons don't show anything that would match.
I've looked for public loos on the OS Maps and couldn't see anything marked either, but if you look at corner of Elmcourt Road and the South Circular on streetview it does look like what is now a small seating area in front of the church could have once been loos.

E2A link to street view:

Last edited:
I've looked for public loos on the OS Maps and couldn't see anything marked either, but if you look at corner of Elmcourt Road and the South Circular on streetview it does look like what is now a small seating area in front of the church could have once been loos.

borough photos has this from 1925 that just shows a grassed bank which is what the 1916 OS map implies.

There's some sort of structure just further east, but that must be the front walls of the houses there.

There doesn't seem to be an OS map between 1916 and 1952 (NLS don't have one, and the LCC bomb damage map uses the 1916 sheet.)

dunno.

Back
Top Bottom