Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Getting a pet

miss direct

misfungled
Once I am settled in my new place (fingers crossed, knock wood), I very much want to get a pet. However, I don't know how one goes about getting a pet in the UK. In Turkey, they come to your window, let themselves in and make a place in your life. I left a cat behind and although I harbour fantasies about going to get her, it's extremely complicated (covid, pet passports, animals not allowed to fly from Turkey to the UK anyway) and she is better off there with my former neighbour. Really really miss having a pet though.

How do you get a pet here? I'm not sure whether to get a dog or a cat (I've never had a dog before but have always wanted one.) I work from home and go out walking every day. I've done dog sitting many times, volunteered at a dog shelter and walk dogs 3 or 4 times a week.

I don't agree with buying animals and would rather get a rescue. However, I've heard that some of them are extremely fussy? Would they really not let me have a pet because my garden is too small, or I don't have a cat flap, or similar?

Just not quite sure where to begin.

Right, without getting all "It's the RSPCA so they're the devil"

Should get you a bit further along the adoption process

We adopted 3 cats from 2 different shelters and we had no problems - but we do have an outside - they were more concerned from memory, about how long they are going to be left on their own

Different pet rescue places have different procedures and standards. We have had two generations of moggies over 25 years from two different places. Both times they did it on the basis of a form and then us visiting the centre for an informal chat and introduction to various suitable cats.Both times were small local charities.

We picked up a third cat who just moved in after his owners, who we know, basically stopped letting him in the house at night...

Different pet rescue places have different procedures and standards. We have had two generations of moggies over 25 years from two different places. Both times they did it on the basis of a form and then us visiting the centre for an informal chat and introduction to various suitable cats.Both times were small local charities.

We picked up a third cat who just moved in after his owners, who we know, basically stopped letting him in the house at night...

God almighty! That is so shit! Why do people think that pets don't have any feelings? :mad: :(

They got two Shitzu dogs and the cat didn’t fit with that...

Our next door neighbour has just got Fifi. She's one of those miniature breeds, looks like a Scottie tbh. She is left alone for hours at a time. I can hear her howling all that time. That doesn't bother me, it's more that this person got a dog 'for company' but has not even considered how the dog feels about being left on her own for hours at a time. Really makes me feel sad and angry. I have offered to look after it when she goes out but she's not into that.

IME the RSPCA are far stricter about the location of your house, proximity to roads, etc. than other smaller pet rescue places. We got our current 2 fellas from Leeds Cat Rescue and gave them a donation towards their neutering and chipping.

Last edited:
There's been a huge spike in people getting pets because of lockdown and AFAIK there are very few dogs about for rehoming at the moment - though the shelter are afraid many adopted dogs might end up back in the system when/if their owners go back to work.

If dog - I think you have to factor in cost of chipping always? And it's a good idea for cats too. (Not saying this is the most important thing - just that it's one area where UK and Turkish norms are very different.)

Your life now sounds like you've really got the time and experience a dog needs - you'd be great for any cat too of course but owners working from home and walking is what dogs need most and you can offer that! But are you really up for the long term emotional commitment to a dog? So much needier than cats - the bond is closer and harder to break with them if life gets complicated by work / moves / family later

My experience of rescues (which is extensive with respect to ferrets at least) is that they're usually overflowing and will be glad to help you out.
How many have you got at the moment then? Still double figures?

I've heard good things about the Dog's Trust, we went to them when we wanted to get a second dog but they were really strict about sticking to their criteria.
We wanted to adopt a 2 year old Jack Russell but they said no because he wasn't tried and tested with children - our son was 14 at the time :rolleyes:

When we talked to our vet about getting a rescue dog he recommended the Dog's Trust.

ETA - we ended up getting a JR puppy in the end

God almighty! That is so shit! Why do people think that pets don't have any feelings? :mad: :(
Yeah :mad:. Some of the back stories from the place I got the rabbits from are just WTF. Animals just shoved in a tiny cage in a shed, no human (or rabbit) contact, no proper feeding, etc.

Don't get rabbits unless you want to take on a LOT of responsibility - cats are probably your best bet there. Mind you, it has massively improved my skills in replacing chomped wires... :hmm:

We had to get our dog through Gumtree in the end. No joy with rescue places, Gumtree was full of profiteering pet speculators mind. But, with patience, we found someone who was looking to re-home aPXL_20210125_180339387.MP.jpg beloved pet. We went and met with them, met the dog and saw it if it was a good fit for all parties. It was.

Dogs' Trust is wonderful organization. Not taken a dog from them but they seem to really care for the animals, and also do a really cheap £1 million third-party insurance, which you also need - fully comprehensive is ludicrously expensive and one wide person on urban remarked that best is to get the fully comprehensive for the first couple of years until you see whether the dog gets a lot of illnesses.

I actually got mine from a couple across the valley because she was too much for them to handle. So befriending dog owners who might know someone is another approach.

iu

I suggest talking (would have to be by phone atm which iirc you are a bit like me and have issues with, so maybe wait until lockdown has lifted a bit for a socially-distanced face to face chat) to the receptionist/nurse at the vet surgery nearest where you will be living (and likely to be using, if you end up with a pet) and asking them. They will almost certainly know all the local rescue places, will know of any older animals amongst their own clients that need rehoming, and also any accidental litters that are due or currently looking for homes.

Our first cat was from cats protection. They were brilliant and he came chipped, neutered and fully jabbed. He was a bit feral but I'd recommend going there personally.

Second was from someone who my wife knew who contacted her on Facebook when cat 1 died. We had to deal with all the jabs, chips and ball removal.

Cats' Protection normally do a house visit to check it/you are suitable, and will turn you down if they perceive there's danger from a road etc, and won't let you have kittens if you're out at work all day. However, house visits are suspended due to COVID and they won't let you meet your new friend in person prior to adoption (our local branch, at least). It's £70 for adoption, which goes towards neutering, chipping, etc. Having said that, whereas they're normally bursting with potential adoptees, they have no cats at the moment due to high demand,

One of the neighbours adopts cats, has 100 of them in and around the house and garden :eek: not huge house either. Were affiliated with the RSPCA but hated what they'd become so aren't any more. They I'm sure would be delighted to rehouse one or more of them. :) They used to take in ferrets as well but I don't think they do that any more.

Last edited:
One of the neighbours adopts cats, has 100 of them in and around the house and garden :eek: not huge house either. Were affiliated with the RSPA but hated what they'd become so aren't any more. They I'm sure would be delighted to rehouse one or more of them. :) They used to take in ferrets as well but I don't think they do that any more.

Without wishing to stir the pot, what has happened to the RSPCA? I was thinking about reporting the next door neighbour but then I read their site and it was like "yeahhhhh. No." Seems like anything to do with animal welfare is beyond their remit these days.

Back
Top Bottom