Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Hello. With the death of erstwhile Brixton resident James Lovelock, two days ago, I have been reading his obituaries and it has stoked an interest in his old haunts. He was born in Letchworth but then moved with his parents to Brixton where he attended The Strand Grammar school. There is a lot of interesting history about it on its Wikipedia page (Strand School - Wikipedia particularly interesting are the connection with Dick Shepard and Tulse Hill Schools and Thatcher's role in it all). It still stands on Elm Park Road, at the intersection with Craignair Road and is currently called Elm Court school, for pupils with learning difficulties.

What I cannot discover, and why I'm here, is where his parents art/framing shop was. They were called Tom and Nellie Lovelock and ran a framing shoping somewhere in Brixton in the 20s and 30s? perhaps longer than that, not really sure. Does anyone know any more than this? I'd be particularly keen to know the address.

Hello. With the death of erstwhile Brixton resident James Lovelock, two days ago, I have been reading his obituaries and it has stoked an interest in his old haunts. He was born in Letchworth but then moved with his parents to Brixton where he attended The Strand Grammar school. There is a lot of interesting history about it on its Wikipedia page (Strand School - Wikipedia particularly interesting are the connection with Dick Shepard and Tulse Hill Schools and Thatcher's role in it all). It still stands on Elm Park Road, at the intersection with Craignair Road and is currently called Elm Court school, for pupils with learning difficulties.

What I cannot discover, and why I'm here, is where his parents art/framing shop was. They were called Tom and Nellie Lovelock and ran a framing shoping somewhere in Brixton in the 20s and 30s? perhaps longer than that, not really sure. Does anyone know any more than this? I'd be particularly keen to know the address.
The shop is likely to be listed in annual Trade Directories of the era such as Kelly's. The archives at Minet hold copies for moat interwar years. Finding them does depend on Thomas having traded under the Lovelock name.

The shop is likely to be listed in annual Trade Directories of the era such as Kelly's. The archives at Minet hold copies for moat interwar years. Finding them does depend on Thomas having traded under the Lovelock name.

Yes.

Kellys / Post Office Directories up to 1919 are public domain, Leicester University have digitised a lot and put them online. Presume it may be a 100 year rule about copyright.

I've had a quick look in the 1919 'London Suburbs' issue (I have a few that I downloaded) and nobody by the name of Lovelock in any trade like this, nothing matching under picture framers etc.

Don't know where you're based, but 'ancestry' have some more recent directories - you can sign up for a free trial with them (think it probably works on the basis of you hand over some credit card details and they hope you forget to cancel within X time) and some library services offer access to library members (during lockdown, my local library made it so you could log in from home, but it's now gone back only to being available in library branches - sod it.)

The 1921 census is now out there which might help if they lived over the shop and were there by 1921 - 'find my past' seem to have exclusive rights to this, and viewing info is not free.

Well people still protest outside the now MSI clinic. I saw some several weeks ago. They even appeared to be doing shifts

Not sure if I posted this before. A 13 second clip feat. Gordon Petrie (landlord of the George Canning) and Mick McManus unaccountably inserted into a Spike Milligan Q5 programme celebrating Her Majesty - originally broadcast 1969.

Not exactly Brixton but wasn't sure where to post - so feel free to move to the best thread/board.

A friend is leading a guided walk on the history of Waterloo, as part of Lambeth Local History Fair next week, it will be interesting and entertaining and you can get a ticket here:

Last edited:
A rare photo of the Crown/Mucky Duck (now Co Op on Coldharbour Lane). Shame it's got shitty watermarks all over it.

View attachment 339873

*edit: looks later than 1930s to me...
I remember going in once or twice shortly after moving to Coldharbour Lane.
It had a dartboard which seemed popular.
Predominantly white clientele.
Seemed to be part of a Met Police moral panic which saw the Harriers, the Crown and the Green Man in Loughborough Junction all closed down due to alleged criminal activities The Lord Stanley was I think closed simply because bought by developers for housing.
Another moral panic situation around the same time was the Duke of Wellington in Acre Lane Duke of Wellington, Acre Lane Brixton – Edwardian pub demolished

1938 advert. £25 was a fair bit of wonga back in the day.

according to ONS, average male manual earnings in October 1938 was about £ 3.50 a week, a London bus driver (then one of the better paying manual jobs) was on £ 4.50 a week basic.

and that would only have been any good if you had a garden to put the shelter in (much the same can be said about the government's anderson shelters that they started making available in late 1938)

not that it's specific to brixton, but there's an article on past tense about the difference in shelter provision in well off / working class areas of london in the early part of the 1939 war, and some of the actions of the communist party in stepney.

Last edited:
Brixton event 30 years ago related to current issues in Belgrade this year, so not just nostalgia.

Sorry I don't know how to post up a translation (Google translate gives some odd sentances like -going for a drive = coming out. But you get the gist)

Brixton event 30 years ago related to current issues in Belgrade this year, so not just nostalgia.

Sorry I don't know how to post up a translation (Google translate gives some odd sentances like -going for a drive = coming out. But you get the gist)
Does this do it? (there is a language box top right)

Does this do it? (there is a language box top right)
Oh well. If you look at the top of the page there is a box with "Lar" in it.
Click the box then chose "English" rather than Serbian.

Back
Top Bottom