Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Brixton ten years ago when the wi-fi was metered at the Ritzy (and I was using an annoying photo filter)

Brixton photos: unicycling busker, architecture and coffee

Brixton photos: unicycling busker, architecture and coffee

Brixton photos: a unicycling busker, street architecture and coffee

not me selling it, and don't know the person who is, but may be of interest to someone (i've got one but a different edition)

these usually include a chunk of council information and a lot of adverts for local businesses of the day

(seems to be from the pre 1965 metropolian borough, not the current london borough, which absorbed a chunk of wandsworth to balance wandsworth absorbing the old battersea borough)

on flickr today - stockwell road, c. 1948-50

(oops - photo seems to have been taken down for reasons unknown)

Last edited:
Anyone know more about this old shop on Railton Road?

not a lot - old street directories seem only to be public domain if they are 100+ years old (presume on copyright grounds) so can't get at anything from the era this dates from.

1919 London Suburbs directory has quite a few shop / commercial premises there (quite a few buildings on Railton Road are fairly obviously converted shops)

1604842902424.png

can find a 2000 Lambeth planning application (it opens as PDF so hard to get a postable link) for 'shop, 70 Railton Road' - presume to convert the ground floor bit to residential.

1896 directory lists William A Hanan, corn merchant at number 70.

Slightly earlier, it was the premises of Nathaniel W Hubbard, Coal merchant. He was a 'progressive' London County Council member for Lambeth (Norwood) or Alderman from the formation of the LCC until the 1907 election (in the LCC's early years, LCC candidates didn't run under national party names - 'progressives' were initially informally aligned with the liberals, and 'moderates' (later 'municipal reform') with the tories.)

1604843581070.png

(attached from 'London County Council Election, 1892: the elector's guide, a popular hand-book for the Election' online via LSE)

Last edited:
on teh tweeter today

1904 London Suburbs directory -

1605128224710.png

looks like the area was re-developed fairly soon after that (they aren't in the 1911 directory) with the current places (were they called maisonettes then? - the double front doors and numbering makes it clear they were built like that not converted from houses)

1895 OS map with pub marked here

on teh tweeter today

View attachment 238453

looks like the area was re-developed fairly soon after that (they aren't in the 1911 directory) with the current places (were they called maisonettes then? - the double front doors and numbering makes it clear they were built like that not converted from houses)

Have you got date for the pub closure?

There's a Buzz article waiting for you if you fancy digging a bit deeper into the pub's history!

Have you got date for the pub closure?

There's a Buzz article waiting for you if you fancy digging a bit deeper into the pub's history!

not sure I can offer much more than what's on pubwiki, which in turn has gathered info from the london directories - there isn't a 'london suburbs' issue in public domain between 1904 and 1911, so must have closed somewhere between the two.

Photo's from the Watney archive that ended up with Heritage England a few years back (here)

The terrace in the background doesn't look that well built, but seems quite early for redevelopment - possibly very badly built...

this one in Lambeth archives shows the (then) fairly new maisonettes as 'c. 1905' - just a few hints of the 'arts and crafts' style about them...

on flickr today

on an enthusiasts' tour, probably c. 1950 / 1 - looks like the builders are in to start demolishing the tram depot / building what's now Arriva's bus garage.

London County Council 1 was the prototype for what would have been a new generation of London trams, which was never built after London Transport took over...

just south of Streatham Hill Station (so stretching slightly) but with added pre-war London bus and new-ish post-war Southdown coach on the London - Brighton express

coach looks like one of the batch this survivor was from -

I don't have a post-war timetable to hand, 1933 London Coastal Coaches timetable shows an hourly service London - Brighton, 2 hours 30 from Victoria to Brighton (including a 10 minute stop at Crawley)

Begads... It would have to be a fair bit cheaper than the train to make that journey time seem worth it!

I don't have anything with train fares of the era to hand - 1933 timetable lists coach as 5 shillings single, 6/ - day return, 9/6 period return London - Brighton.

Interesting image posted by Ron Higgins in another forum
This is the most complete picture I've seen of the fabled Electric Avenue canopies.
Possibly beginning to get a little worse for wear at this point
131131644_3062948963806822_374278246705646163_n.jpg

on teh tweeter today

Looking at the NLS maps in "side by side" view, I don't think the pub was demolished for the main terrace of maisonettes with sash windows.

I think the site of the pub is the pair of maisonettes (now 387-393 New Park Road?) with bay windows that I think were constructed slightly later after WW1 alongside Tremaine Court. IIRC up to the 1990s, they used to have similar replacement windows to the taller block, suggesting they once had a common landlord?
New Park Road block.PNG

I think the site of the pub is the pair of maisonettes (now 387-393 New Park Road?) with bay windows that I think were constructed slightly later after WW1 alongside Tremaine Court. IIRC up to the 1990s, they used to have similar replacement windows to the taller block, suggesting they once had a common landlord?

Yes, think I came to that conclusion after posting - think I established that the street numbering got changed at some point which loused up my original idea

on Flickr today

Clapham Road, Kennington - where Europcar / Usborne Mews is now.

Blue Belle Coaches was part of a Brixton based business empire - more about it all here

Just saw this on twitter posted by Blitzwalker. It's taken from Hinton Road facing Loughborough Junction. I don't know the background to the damage but can guess from the twitter handle.

View attachment 244043
Hi, yes this and quite a few other local stations feature in a file I was checking out at the National Archives in Kew last week. This is immediate aftermath of bomb damage at the bridge in Hinton Road caused on 10/11 May 1941.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom