Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Me too. I’m not far off fifty, and was one of the youngest in the room...
I'm much worse than that. One of the audience not far off 50 asked me whether I knew anything about a walk on 28th September - "The Brixton that Wasn't" organised by Photofusion.

I was interrogating my Eventbrite bookings just now, in case I'd missed something, and it turns out I'd actually booked myself on this walk 10 days ago! Apologies to the man who asked me at the meeting. It does seem that there are still places to be had for the walk, led by artist Ellie Laycock, free, but donations welcome.
The Brixton that Never Was.JPG

Utopia London.PNG
I was at this

Seemed fairly hipster free to me :thumbs:
I suppose the Instagram kidz are more likely to be at the Photofusion gig later in the month.

Edited to add - I meant the talk and screening of Utopia London at Photofusion on Wednesday 25th not the walk that CH1 has linked to above.

It was previously displaying as "sold out" on Eventbrite, but seems to have come back into availability - they must be borrowing some extra chairs from the Rec!

THE BRIXTON THAT WASN’T and UTOPIA LONDON

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
Slightly peripheral - but people who've read Urban for several years may remember discussion of the inscription on the Wynne Road side wall of Liberal House (formerly Asian Community Action Centre and 100 years ago Brixton Liberal Association) 322 Brixton Road. There was a thread in 2014.
brixton-street-scenes-dec-2104-11.jpg

I happened upon a short Agentinian video inspired by Earth: Inferno - an early work by Austin Osman Spare. Spare died in Wynne Road in 1956, though lived most of his life in Walworth. He seems to have become a bit of a cult figure now, but his interest in esoteric and hermetic matters may have led to him being marginal in his lifetime.

The video contains some nudity, meaning you have to sign in on Youtube due to their community affairs policy.
I also found a pdf copy of Earth Inferno - attached. This is a 30 page book of text and illustations in the manner of William Blake perhaps, though the look is more like Aubrey Beardsley. Original text, but quotes also from the Book of Revelation and the Rubiyat of Omar Khayyam.

Attachments

• Austin Osman Spare - Earth Inferno.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Not in Brixton - but accessible on 3 bus routes in minutes. I went here as one of my Open House London spots. The picture is the Crystal Palace Subway. Fell into disuse following the 1936 fire which burned down the Crystal Place - the subway was built to create an imposing sheltered walkway between Crystal Palace station (higher level) and the entrance to Crystal Palace. It is currently under restoration by a Friends group. Last intensive use was as wartime air-raid shelter. Crystal Palace high level station was closed and demolished in 1961, so the subway is only of historical and aesthetic importance.
sub006a smaller-james balston.jpg

These matters are discussed occasionally, although any debate tends to be polluted by exhortations of how 'grateful' Africans should be for their enslavement, colonisation, dispersion across the globe and neo-colonisation and the resulting economic, social and cultural devastation:

June 2016: British people are proud of colonialism and the British Empire, poll finds

June 2016: Wake up, Britain. Should the empire really be a source of pride?

March 2018: When will Britain face up to its crimes against humanity?

April 2019: Why are so many afraid to confront Britain’s historical links with the slave trade?

Although work has been done on the African presence in the UK since ancient times, I am uncertain how much detailed work has been done to investigate any African presence specifically in Brixton (as opposed to London) prior to the arrival of Africans (and others) from the Caribbean post-1945.

Clearly, some work must have been done on the African presence in Lambeth as evidenced below:

D88dnnnW4AIB8b0.jpg

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place, apologies if not. I'm writing because my aunty Sally Sherratt used to live and work in Brixton in the 70s and 80s and I was wondering if anyone knew her or had any memories of the resteraunts she used to run. I know her first one was called the Bon ton Roulet and was near Brockwell park. Any information would be great.
Thank you

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place, apologies if not. I'm writing because my aunty Sally Sherratt used to live and work in Brixton in the 70s and 80s and I was wondering if anyone knew her or had any memories of the resteraunts she used to run. I know her first one was called the Bon ton Roulet and was near Brockwell park. Any information would be great.
Thank you
Hi. I recall eating in the Bon Ton Roule it was on the block next to what is now The Florence pub (used to be the Brockwell Tavern) I think it might be where 121 bar is now, at no121 Dulwich road, which is opposite the park. I recall eating french food there a couple of times in the mid to late 80's. I can only recall the food was great and it must have been inexpensive as I wasn't flush. I didn't know who ran it sorry.

Some references to shebeens of Brixton here....
- " Somerleyton Road, the heart of West Indian settlement in Brixton, ‘was wide open, a shebeen in every other basement’. These parties ‘gave off a sharp joy, snatched, sometimes, from the edge of despair’, a warmth supplied, as McGlashen wrote, quoting from Edward Kamau Brathwaite’s Rights of Passage , “with our hips and the art of our shuffle shoes”’
The rise and fall of the drinking club

Ate in the Bon Ton Roule in the mid 90s - They did rotis among other things, it was a hippy ish place. Think we sat in the basement ate mussels. It was uncomfortably cold...

Slightly peripheral - but people who've read Urban for several years may remember discussion of the inscription on the Wynne Road side wall of Liberal House (formerly Asian Community Action Centre and 100 years ago Brixton Liberal Association) 322 Brixton Road. There was a thread in 2014.
brixton-street-scenes-dec-2104-11.jpg

I happened upon a short Agentinian video inspired by Earth: Inferno - an early work by Austin Osman Spare. Spare died in Wynne Road in 1956, though lived most of his life in Walworth. He seems to have become a bit of a cult figure now, but his interest in esoteric and hermetic matters may have led to him being marginal in his lifetime.

The video contains some nudity, meaning you have to sign in on Youtube due to their community affairs policy.
I also found a pdf copy of Earth Inferno - attached. This is a 30 page book of text and illustations in the manner of William Blake perhaps, though the look is more like Aubrey Beardsley. Original text, but quotes also from the Book of Revelation and the Rubiyat of Omar Khayyam.

More on Austin Spare in this Wikipedia article Chaos magic - Wikipedia

Thank you
There's a 'memories of Brixton and Stockwell' FB group, with lots of old timers who may be able to help

Interesting that the arresting officer was trained in Southern Rhodesia according to the Guardian.
The case made Radio Four Today programme this morning - Winston Trew was interviewed.​
Great quote from him to excuse the actions that finally got him nicked 'I just went bent.'

This is a wonderful exhibition of original photos:

WINDRUSH MEMORIES - A COLLECTION SHARED

An exhibition of images, narratives, poems and crafted objects inspired by 19 b/w photograph of Windrush arrivals following workshops with young and older people in the community. Organised by Dirg Aaab-Richards and Age UK Lambeth as part of Age UK Celebrating Age Festival.

Come and see the pictures exhibited at "We Are 336", 336 Brixton Road, London SW9 7AA
18th October - 30th October 2019 - during office hours.

Last edited:
That picture says it all. We had a full service book shop then. Index Books were nice people, probably the least dogmatic faction of the defunct WRP. That site was a poor second - allocated when Lambeth Council chucked them out of their much more spacious Atlantic Road shop - in order to redevelop the site for Argos. I expect the final coup de grâce was the emergence of Amazon as a near-monopoly supplier of books on order. I remember one of the staff saying to me that the biggest seller in their "Marxist" shop was the Bible.

Thanks for creating those RoyReed

Given that Our Sons was always a gents outfitters, I wonder if the image might have been of a chap in Jantzen bathing trunks.

Jantzen mens.jpg

After 47 years, a local injustice moves one step closer to being rectified:

'Oval Four' could be cleared after 47 years in wake of corrupt officer case

flyers-given-out-support-oval-four-which-raised-4000-over-48000-today-pay-their-legal.jpg

oval-four-was-one-series-trials-early-1970s-involving-young-black-men-tube-muggings-that.jpg

Oval Four: Black men jailed after being framed by racist police officer have convictions quashed almost 50 years later

21861324-7759287-Winston_Trew_and_his_wife_Hyacinth_pictured_outside_the_Royal_Co-m-19_1575552494515.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Lord Burnett said it was “clear that these convictions are unsafe”, adding: “We would wish only to note our regret that it has taken so long for this injustice to be remedied.”

Back
Top Bottom