Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

I don't think there was a pub on Mayall rd . When i saw the picture first i thought of the Dalyell road and what could the Marquis pub in the distance.
There was a pub on Mayall rd.

Windsor Castle, 54 Mayall Road, SE24 - lost pubs of Lambeth

It's Mayall Rd.

The photo is of Mayall Rd.

The road in the photo is Mayall rd.

The pub in the photo is the Windsor Castle.

The Windsor Castle no longer exists.

Hence it is not visible any more.

Maybe we can spin this question out for a few more pages though?

There was a pub on Mayall rd.

Windsor Castle, 54 Mayall Road, SE24 - lost pubs of Lambeth

It's Mayall Rd.

The photo is of Mayall Rd.

The road in the photo is Mayall rd.

The pub in the photo is the Windsor Castle.

The Windsor Castle no longer exists.

Hence it is not visible any more.

Maybe we can spin this question out for a few more pages though?
At risk of spinning this out some more, look at the houses on the opposite side of the road in the 1912 pic and they have the parapet detailing you noted in post #953, which you pointed out weren't visible in the linton kwesi johnson photo. seems odd as the Windsor castle definitely looks the same

At risk of spinning this out some more, look at the houses on the opposite side of the road in the 1912 pic and they have the parapet detailing you noted in post #953, which you pointed out weren't visible in the linton kwesi johnson photo. seems odd as the Windsor castle definitely looks the same
Yes. We've been over this. The detailing was there in 1912, it wasn't in the LKJ photo, now it is again.

On the houses on Mayall Rd.

That's Mayall Rd, in case anyone's wondering.

i don't think it is, having looked on the auld maps and google maps.

tell you what, someone should email lkj and ask him: LKJ Records - Linton Kwesi Johnson | Contact us

Actually just found the photo online (Black Music Research Unit) and it says it's Railton Road. Mystery solved.

It definitely is not Railton Rd.
It definitely is Mayall Rd.
There need be no further discussion on this.

I know I'm rather late to this - but I don't care I'm going to join in anyway. It's never too late for discussion.

My money is on Railton road - and its near where he still lives. The pub in the background looks like the Hamilton to me.

I'll ask him when I next see him in the pub/betting shop, if he remembers.

I know I'm rather late to this - but I don't care I'm going to join in anyway. It's never too late for discussion.

My money is on Railton road - and its near where he still lives. The pub in the background looks like the Hamilton to me.

I'll ask him when I next see him in the pub/betting shop, if he remembers.
The style of the houses on the still remaining part of Mayall Road appears to match the pic (still seen in post #950 & #961).
If I had an iPhoneor Galaxy I would go down there and see if I could get a physical match. We need someone nerdy enough to do a then and now so everyone could agree.

I've just stumbled across this from another thread on Urban75. Let me put you all out of your misery once and for all. It doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone to check the name of that side road as the pub was obviously situated on a corner plot. I can tell you - it's Leeson Road. The Windsor Castle stood on the corner of Mayall Road and Leeson Road. The entrance door to the pub was exactly on that corner - whether you think that makes the address Leeson Road or Mayall Road I don't know, but 54 Mayall Road is good enough for me. How do I know all this? Because for part of my childhood I grew up at 92 Mayall Road, just down the road. Every time I went to the sweetshop in Leeson Road run by a dear old man named Mr Snooks, I passed that pub, and it was definitely called the Windsor Castle! And if that's still not enough proof, my grandmother used to work as a barmaid in there!

mayall.JPG

Mayall Rd complete with modernist building on left. The pic is from Google maps and looks North towards Brixton centre. The Windsor was indeed further up on the left where the modern stuff starts. I lived in Mayall Rd in the early 80s and had the odd pint in there. In Winter I remember having to negotiate a curtain that was drawn across the the door to stop the draughts (the wind sort from outside not the ones being slammed on to the tables inside). It was a proper old school Brixton boozer with a good mix of punters run by an older couple, he from the Caribbean somewhere, she a tough no nonsense South London woman. It was always interesting in there but everyone seemed 3 times my age so I tended to head for the fantastic 3 bar Irish run Railway (later Bradys) or the good old Trinity.

These buildings on New Park Road near the junction with Brixton Hill have always intrigued me. The one nearest the camera looks very early Victorian to me but I haven't been able to find any more info on old maps.

2018-01-17_011317.jpg

I thought the image below might be related but I think the church is in the wrong place.

It's titled 'Gilman's Cottages off New Park Road, on the borders of Clapham Park and Brixton Hill, dated 1911. The tower of All Saints Church, Lyham Road, can be seen on the right.'

2018-01-17_011753.jpg

These buildings on New Park Road near the junction with Brixton Hill have always intrigued me. The one nearest the camera looks very early Victorian to me but I haven't been able to find any more info on old maps.

View attachment 125499

I thought the image below might be related but I think the church is in the wrong place.

It's titled 'Gilman's Cottages off New Park Road, on the borders of Clapham Park and Brixton Hill, dated 1911. The tower of All Saints Church, Lyham Road, can be seen on the right.'

View attachment 125500

I think it is yet another annoying typo on the Landmark site. They are referred to as "Gilham's cottages" in another title field on that same page; in street indexes (which suggest they were close to the corner of Doverfield Road in 1912] and Medical Officer of Health reports [which suggests they were condemned as unfit for habitation in 1919.]

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

coldharbour-ritzy-townhall-2.jpg

I've had a good look around this image: Brixton history: Lambeth Town Hall, Ritzy cinema and Coldharbour Lane in the 1920s

London County Council Tramways poster, 1930

DUFJWPRW4AAE3yx.jpg

on tweeter today from lang rabbie

wondered why it didn't show cross London services via the Kingsway Subway - further research reminded me it was closed for reconstruction (to allow double deck trams to use it) during 1930.

Night bus N87 (which replaced the night tram service) continued to run on the 'figure 8' service until 1984

I'm not sure if this has already been posted. I've checked back a few pages and can't see it.
A full eleven minutes worth of early 80s Brixton.

It has - and the vibrancy of the solo dancer 29 seconds in recalled by some. Look how in 1982 one could dance all day to records in Granville Arcade entrance without being sanctioned (or at least i assume so).

I think it is yet another annoying typo on the Landmark site. They are referred to as "Gilham's cottages" in another title field on that same page; in street indexes (which suggest they were close to the corner of Doverfield Road in 1912] and Medical Officer of Health reports [which suggests they were condemned as unfit for habitation in 1919.]

Looking at the shape of the buildings, the angle of the row of houses behind, and the angle it views the church (which is no longer the same structure), I think the Gilham's / Gilman's Cottages buildings may be those that I've centred Old Maps on - around where 76 / 78 Doverfield Road are now.

This shows a short road as Park Road Cottages in the 1870s, Paddy's Lane in 1895 and Doverfield Road by 1910.

(Wonder if Paddys Lane was a local term referring to a specific Patrick who lived there or owned some of the land, or if it was a local reference to Irish residents? Map makers tended at one time to go on what they were told by locals, so there can be variations. As an aside, there was a street in the East End that got marked on some maps as 'Knockfergus' in the 1600s)

Spelling on old documents can be difficult with changes in how handwriting looks. Mum-tat found a missing bit of the family by trying a few alternative spellings in census data.

About all I can pick up from old maps on these is that the building that's now 3A New Park Road appears to have been part of 224 Brixton Hill rather than a separate building in the way that numbers 3 and 5 are. (Although No. 3 seems to have been occupied by the same company as 222

The following are extracts from the 1911 Post Office London Suburban Directory (it's on Leicester university's website)

Brixton Hill -

brixton hill.PNG

New Park Road

new park road.PNG

Mr Callaby registered freehold of no. 224 in 1920 (London Gazette extract - opens as PDF) - I can not find further traces of Albert Bloice or of the London Vacuum Cleaning Company (other than a current company by that name in Watford who say they have 20 years experience so presumably not related.)

OK, so this is only history dating back ten years, but I'm curious what happened to this window. Is is still there (and you can see through it from inside) or has it really been bricked up?

I'm guessing it's the former, but the brickwork does look very convincing...

Untitled-4.jpg

OK, so this is only history dating back ten years, but I'm curious what happened to this window. Is is still there (and you can see through it from inside) or has it really been bricked up?

View attachment 126288

Interestingly, if you look at the rolled back StreetView data from the refurb in May 2015, you can see a bit more of the structure: Google Maps

I would guess that it was removed and bricked up.

View attachment 126288
it was bricked-up. They took the whole facade off and rebuilt it.

Love the google maps timeline showing the various iterations.

Back
Top Bottom