Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

The incendiary bombs were quite small - just over a foot long and weighing about 1kg. A typical bomb load for Heinkel 111 might be 1,000 incendiaries and 20 x 50kg high explosive bombs. The incendiaries burnt hot enough to melt steel and when lodged in roof timbers burnt down at least as many buildings as those blown down by HE bombs.

Don't suppose there's any page that lists them? Guessing too many.maybe?

Brixton ten years ago:

brixton-december-2006-06.jpg

brixton-december-2006-19.jpg

Brixton Ten Years Ago: Prince Albert and Jamm, carol singers, bands and crime, December 2006

robnitm on tweeter has these today - Coldharbour Lane, 1975

C7O-9VZXQAEYVfu.jpg

C7O-9WFWwAAnCZN.jpg
Brilliant. Just goes to show the values that operate in Metropolitan Housing Trust - they splendidly replicated the burnt down (1995) Barkers Furniture Store building (with flats above) - only to replace the shop with a cage for dumped cars. An example of mid 1990s housing policy at its most ludicrous.

A picture of a 1933 coach that's appeared on Flickr today has led me to some digging -

As well as the Orange Luxury Coaches depot / coach station in Brixton (more or less where Windrush Square now is), there was also the 'London Terminal Coach Station' off Clapham Road near the Oval -

Coach%20Station_2.jpg

plenty more here

This opened in 1929, was built and operated by Blue Belle Motors Ltd, a subsidiary of Blue Belle Transport, based at 43-45 Acre Lane, Brixton

The frontage is where Europcar now trade (Street View here) - the depot behind was damaged by WW2 bombing, and Blue Belle did consider trying to develop it as an interchange point for goods vehicles (a concept that never really caught on)

It was partly later rebuilt as a motor dealers (Keith & Boyle Ltd, who dealt in Bedford / Vauxhalls from what was named 'Terminal House' - Keith & Boyle Ltd were, in turn, owners of Orange Luxury Coaches until Orange was sold to the Ewer Group in the 1950s) - the site was later developed for housing and is now Usborne Mews.

Blue Belle Transport were also dealers of goods vehicles -

Im19250915CM-Blue.jpg

(1925 advert from 'Graces Guide' website)

43 / 45 Acre Lane is currently / recently 'Diamond Hire / Merchants' (building up for sale last time I passed and on Street View)

I can feel another article for Urban coming on to add to the list of things I've promised Editor I'll do one of these days...

Back
Top Bottom