Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gammon with pineapple rings

I've been offered it, in the UK, as recently as last summer. It's about as wrong as a wrong thing with an advanced degree in wrongness from wrongness university.

Barbecued fresh pineapple is one thing, chargrilled pineapple is a good thing, but never, never, never ever put pineapple on pizza or gammon.

My OH is quite fond of this - it was consumed as recently as last month whilst I has my fav, a trout, private meal out to celebrate a new project.

Almost always reminds me of an incident in Porridge : Mr Barraclough had "Gammon Steak Hawaii" when MrsB found the illicit can that he had confiscated from Fletch (Ronnie Barker) ...

You don’t eat out in pubs much then mate?
We go to a pub with a cat in. It calls itself a gastropub. I think. (It's not really a gastropub. It's huge plates of everything with cheese sauce. But they're rayt busy at lunchtimes, and have a specials board (that lists more huge plates of everything with cheese sauce). It's gastro, because sometimes the cheese is stilton.)

I don't think they do gammon with pineapple and cheese sauce.

Though they might, if suggested :hmm:

(Tbf, with a dog, we should be going to more pubs. (Though obvs not the one with the cat. He is an obese cat, called Tom, who mostly sleeps). Pubs often allow dogs. Not many other places do.

However, the wife abhors English pubs. Something to do with vegetarianism, English food in general, and English pub food in specificular.)

Here's the 'meat' section from their 'selection of our menu' online.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 11.17.21.png

That does them a disservice, tbf. Their specials board will inevitably list each of those cooked at least 15 ways, in cheese sauce.

Edit: OHMYFUCK. It's actually there! In their full menu, which is also online.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 11.18.40.png

WELLINEVER.

E2a2: though at £14, I'll have the slab of other meat in cheese sauce, tah!

Back
Top Bottom