Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Galaxy Quest and David Mamet's other perfect films

I've watched A Place in the Sun a couple of times but I haven't seen Dodsworth. I like A Place in the Sun, Galaxy Quest and The Godfather, but an algorithm style "if you like this......you may also like that" may not apply here as they are very different from each other. All are highly regarded films though.

Last edited:
Galaxy Quest and The Godfather are wonderful, but Mamet is responsible for some really crap films so I wouldn't pay him much attention. And he's missed out Groundhog Day and The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Galaxy Quest and The Godfather are wonderful, but Mamet is responsible for some really crap films so I wouldn't pay him much attention. And he's missed out Groundhog Day and The Muppet Christmas Carol.
Maybe David Mamet's favourite films aren't predominantly high concept comedies from the 90s and he thought mentioning just one is enough ?

House of Games, the first film Mamet directed is brilliant and still underrated. I'd count it among the very best films of the 80s. None of his other films live up to it for me but of the ones I've seen, I thought none of them were crap. Anyways, not sure why that invalidates opinions on his favourite films, especially as the recommendations are solid.

Last edited:
I honestly can't sit through The Godfather - I have watched it once and appreciate its merits as film, but it just isn't my sort of thing. Galaxy Quest on the other hand I could watch over and over. I have seen A Place in the Sun but I am not sure I have seen Dodsworth (if I did, I don't recall it - that could be due to passage of time rather than due to the merits of the film itself).

Planning to rewatch all the Godfather films soon, together with Coppola's new cut of The Godfather Part III, which is thought to be an improvement. Never thought it was all that bad anyway, it just suffers in comparison.

I honestly can't sit through The Godfather - I have watched it once and appreciate its merits as film, but it just isn't my sort of thing. Galaxy Quest on the other hand I could watch over and over. I have seen A Place in the Sun but I am not sure I have seen Dodsworth (if I did, I don't recall it - that could be due to passage of time rather than due to the merits of the film itself).

Godfather and a few of the other classics have always felt far to long for me.

I just don't really enjoy Mafia/Gangster type themes - I can see that the original film is beautifully crafted, but it just isn't the sort of thing I find gripping and I tend to drift off into a reverie rather than having my attention held by the film - it is just purely a matter of personal taste and preference I am sure.

Not to me. Maybe thats more down to shortening attention spans.

I introduced a 14 year old to the Godfather films a few years ago and he loved them, but his mother loves classic films, so he was used to the pacing of older films.

Not to me. Maybe thats more down to shortening attention spans.

Even when I had an attention span it was the case.its also probably because I was exposed to them at a very young age but not in any chronological order, just bits here and there on the telly on a wet Wednesday or whatever.

Even when I had an attention span it was the case.its also probably because I was exposed to them at a very young age but not in any chronological order, just bits here and there on the telly on a wet Wednesday or whatever.
That's like reading a few pages of a classic novel in the wrong order and then feeling qualified to judge it on that.

No forrin muck. Who gives a shit what a washed up whining do-I-shock-you-libtard-do-I trumper has to say about anything.

Planning to rewatch all the Godfather films soon, together with Coppola's new cut of The Godfather Part III, which is thought to be an improvement. Never thought it was all that bad anyway, it just suffers in comparison.

New cut is a much better film. Still flawed, but the plotting makes more sense now. I watched it on Christmas Day and Apocalypse Now new cut on Boxing day.

Both look stunning. Apocalypse now is beautiful to look at.

I've watched A Place in the Sun a couple of times but I haven't seen Dodsworth. I like A Place in the Sun, Galaxy Quest and The Godfather, but an algorithm style "if you like this......you may also like that" may not apply here as they are very different from each other. All are highly regarded films though.
I agree. I quite like Galaxy Quest though on paper it really shouldn't be my cup of tea. I find the Godfather incredibly dull.

I watched Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner yesterday. Dull. The Mamet speak becomes irritating. The male lead has barely enough charisma to be an extra.

I rewatched A Place in the Sun because I had not watched it in a long time. Highly acclaimed in 1951 when it came out, this doesn't hold up too well, its social commentary has dated it badly. The plot is that of a film noir but it's treated as an earnest, prestige drama. The film noirs of the era play so much better now. Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor look beautiful though.

Back
Top Bottom