Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G Network or Community Fibre? Broadband options in Brixton

I'm spoilt for choice with this stuff - I've got aerial, satellite, Roku (internet) and TV apps (also internet): four ways of watching the same thing!

We've got G-Network in our block and some of my neighbours have taken it. It's half the price of Virgin! :eek:

Yeah - so basically if I want to take a minimalist approach to this then I could just get by with:
  • Community Fibre Broadband only - no need for their TV package
  • Roku stick
In the worse case that my TV doesn't work with it - I buy a new smart TV for a couple hundred.

Yeah - so basically if I want to take a minimalist approach to this then I could just get by with:
  • Community Fibre Broadband only - no need for their TV package
  • Roku stick
In the worse case that my TV doesn't work with it - I buy a new smart TV for a couple hundred.
For a truly minimalist approach, get rid of your telly. It's all rubbish. There's better stuff on the internet.

I'd rather watch films on a sofa in front of a 50"+ TV then be sat on my desk looking at a smaller screen far closer to my face, thanks.

It's a bit of a weird choice to honest, get rid of your TV as there's better stuff on the net. Of course there is. I use the large screen in my living room to watch it and don't pay for a TV license or have it connected to an ariel.

It's a bit of a weird choice to honest, get rid of your TV as there's better stuff on the net. Of course there is. I use the large screen in my living room to watch it and don't pay for a TV license or have it connected to an ariel.
I guess you don't watch the iPlayer then? Always asks me if I have a license.

I'm finally out of my BT contract and am looking at the G Network or Community Fibre options, both of which are hugely cheaper.

Community Fibre saying that they're 'coming soon' and I don't mind hanging on if they're notably better. Opinions please!

both of these say coming soon for me, they never did any cabling in the estate though only on the roads around here so how soon it is coming is probably not very soon, no FTTH from BT or virgin cable either.

I'd rather watch films on a sofa in front of a 50"+ TV then be sat on my desk looking at a smaller screen far closer to my face, thanks.
Surely everyone does both ... at the same time? The only time I don't double screen these days is when I'm casting to the telly from my phone! 🤯

Question for anyone who's got Community Fibre - you can pay £10 a month extra for WiFi in every room.

Has anyone got the package without this, and what's the WiFi like?

Question for anyone who's got Community Fibre - you can pay £10 a month extra for WiFi in every room.

We paid the extra for an extra router and coverage isn’t great. Not sure if that’s CF fault or the fact it’s a Victorian house with solid walls - 2 between where the Modem is and the kitchen where coverage is very patchy.

If you're fine with paying more up front for less cost over time, there are loads of surplus CF routers on Ebay. They're dead simple to extend the mesh with. I paid £60 for a pair of the older ones (still plenty of bandwidth for the kitchen/bedrooms).

Bit unclear on what this means - you buy routers and stick them around the house - what does 'extend the mesh' mean?!?

Bit unclear on what this means - you buy routers and stick them around the house - what does 'extend the mesh' mean?!?

Some routers don’t need to be wired to the wall, they use wifi to talk to the router with the wire.

That’s extending the mesh.

If your wifi doesn't reach all corners of the house, there are ways of getting it there.

In the past, we used repeaters. Little things that simply repeated the signal from the main router. The problem is that even when set to the same network ID as your main router, they still function like a separate network. Anything attached to the repeater will prefer to stay on the repeater until it completely loses the signal. At which point you get a burp in service as it switches to another wifi point.

In a mesh system. signal hand-off is automated. It will automagically make sure you're on the strongest available signal and hand-off to another one seamlessly as you move about the house/garden. Having used both, take it as a given that this works much, much better than the other way.

Either system can be wired or wireless. The standard AC2200 routers that CF used to give out have a dedicated wifi channel for talking between nodes (not sure about the better ones they give out now), so there's not a huge difference for them.

So if I get this Community Fibre it seems I'm going to have to buy at least 1 extra router, and also a Roku stick to get the TV to work.

Currently the best deal I can get on Virgin is £54 a month, CF is under half that at £25 for the first 2 years.

Seems like a no-brainer - but i'm quite reluctant to change a hassle-free set up which is working.. :facepalm:

I feel like I've been waiting forever for Community Fibre to do our road - I first checked 5 years ago and the status "Community Fibre is coming to your area" hasn't changed.
As soon as they get us fibred up I'll be on it, if I've not bloody died or been evicted in the meantime.
Currently paying £72 a month for 30Mbps max download speed (which is the maximum we can get here) off contract to BT :mad:

2 years now on Community Fibre and can’t say anything bad about it. Fast and solid. No outtages since the day it went in. Virgin was double the price and flaky as hell - and they constantly hassled us to take up TV and mobile on top. Leaving them was hard though. They conveniently ‘forgot’ to disconnect us despite confirming our request to leave in writing, and kept charging us for months until we spotted it. Then - as a digital services company who had been happily taking our money by direct debit for 15 years - they refunded us by CHEQUE. Shysters.

I feel like I've been waiting forever for Community Fibre to do our road - I first checked 5 years ago and the status "Community Fibre is coming to your area" hasn't changed.
As soon as they get us fibred up I'll be on it, if I've not bloody died or been evicted in the meantime.
Currently paying £72 a month for 30Mbps max download speed (which is the maximum we can get here) off contract to BT :mad:
Our pavement got dug up 15 months ago and fibre was installed (G-Network or community) .
It is still not possible to get anyone to connect us.

So if I get this Community Fibre it seems I'm going to have to buy at least 1 extra router, and also a Roku stick to get the TV to work.

Currently the best deal I can get on Virgin is £54 a month, CF is under half that at £25 for the first 2 years.

Seems like a no-brainer - but i'm quite reluctant to change a hassle-free set up which is working.. :facepalm:
We had this dilemma. CF is much cheaper than Virgin, but we would need to replace all the mesh network disks/re-routers that we have. And Virgin works for us. But we went back to Virgin who have taken a tenner off our bill each month for 24 months. So there's a bit of haggle room for you, if you don't want to shift.

Just had a 40 minute outage on Community Fibre and realised that, unlike BT, there's not a soul on hand to help you until the morning.

You get what you pay for, etc etc.

Just had a 40 minute outage on Community Fibre and realised that, unlike BT, there's not a soul on hand to help you until the morning.

That does suck - but makes sense. I had the devil of a time a couple of years back getting customer service

I had the same. I vaguely remember an email about work and possible disruption but can’t find it.

you have community fibre in your block?
no plan to bring it to me at the guinness estate behind you

Getting CF installed on Tuesday after many years with Virgin, why their agents don't just offer you decent deal on contract renewals without the stupid back and forth.
Anyway twice the speed at half the price thought might as well give CF a go.

Getting CF installed on Tuesday after many years with Virgin, why their agents don't just offer you decent deal on contract renewals without the stupid back and forth.
Anyway twice the speed at half the price thought might as well give CF a go.
As has been said before, support is hit and miss (mostly miss); but the service itself has proven to be even more reliable than BT was for us so it's not been a dealbreaker. I don't think anyone else even offers fibre to my building, so it's a bit of a moot point.

My neighbours have just had CF put in, and it works just fine. So I'm more tempted now.. Especially given Virgin are upping their fees again.

If anyone does want CF I can do a referral and then we both get £100 (amazon? - can't recall) in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom