Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fujiyama Japanese restaurant, Brixton

editor

hiraethified
I went there yesterday for the first time in ages and was very impressed. The place was well busy, but the service was fast and the nosh very nice indeed.

new-fujiyama-brixton-03.jpg

Any one else been recently?

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/fujiyama-japanese-restaurant-brixton-serves-up-a-winning-meal/

Not been for a little while, but it's always been pleasant enough. The food is a little bland for my liking though.

I had the Yasai Chilli Men and it certainly wasn't bland!

Good to see the place so busy though.

Salmon Chilli Men is my favorite thing on the menu, I find it really hard to order anything else :oops:

I like it. Altho worth remembering the staff going on strike there a couple years ago due to management taking 100% of the 'service charge'. This is still the case, I asked one of the waitresses last time I was in.

Good point to raise. Will they let you strike the service charge and tip cash?

I've got to say that I've really been increasing won over by the Satay Bar over Fuyiyama, Ichiban and other nearby alternatives. Like the others, it's not going to win any prizes in the authenticity stakes, but the bods who cook their border-spanning menu seem to have dab hands with old faves. It's rarely anything less than lively in there either - it's good that both these places (at least) still seem to be so consistently popular.

I've got to say that I've really been increasing won over by the Satay Bar over Fuyiyama, Ichiban and other nearby alternatives. Like the others, it's not going to win any prizes in the authenticity stakes, but the bods who cook their border-spanning menu seem to have dab hands with old faves. It's rarely anything less than lively in there either - it's good that both these places (at least) still seem to be so consistently popular.

I've generally enjoyed Satay Bar over the years and I really do like the atmosphere there but last time I went in the starter I had was chicken satay I think and it was very cheap nasty take-away nuggety quality. Which explained why it was so cheap, I suppose. I'd commented on that before it came. I'll get a more expensive dish next time.

Fujiyama is pretty reliable, I think. cunts over the service charge though.

Didn't know that about keeping the tips. That kind of management would make me feel very uncomfortable about going there again.

I don't recall hearing about this strike. I've searched here but couldn't find anything - are there any press reports from the time?

it's alright... the delivery isn't great as most of the crispy stuff goes soggy but that's somewhat unavoidable

i went just a few weeks ago... i did laugh at the fact that the staff don't know what the specials are and don't know much about japanese food (i ordered a special but they didn't know they had it or what it was)

I don't recall hearing about this strike. I've searched here but couldn't find anything - are there any press reports from the time?

Dunno. my ex used to work there. i gather the practice has become common in loads of places now anyway. most people cant be arsed making a scene which is understandable. the staff themselves get uncomfortable when you strike it out and leave cash so its win win for the owners.

used to go regular, but since teh kids came along,we just use the delivery service. I dont touch the Sush, as Im a sushi snob after spending too muc time with a Japanese employer... As Shippy says, the crispy stuff goes soggy, but thats expected. its a little bit more expensive than Chinese, but the difference in quality & mouth feel is worth it. And they stick in a couple of free Miso soups with all our orders ! Win!

Go there often at lunchtime for sushi with the kids; used to go a lot pre-kids for nosh pre-Ritzy. Favourite hot dish = karai beef ramen - a lovely steaming bowl of noodle soup. Disappointed to hear about service charge issue; service is usually very friendly and prompt (at lunchtime as least).

It's quick and pretty good. The danger being that you keep ordering food and the bill mounts up. My football team had its end-of-season 'do' upstairs last June and no one complained about the food

I used to have lunch there fairly regularly.

The music is appalling though. One of the reasons I stopped going. Do they still play that euro-Eastern-dance-pop shit?

I used to have lunch there fairly regularly.

The music is appalling though. One of the reasons I stopped going. Do they still play that euro-Eastern-dance-pop shit?
They weren't playing any music at all yesterday.

I'll give it another go.

Bum-chk!Bum-chk!Bum-chk!Bum-chk!Bum-chk!Bum-chk! is not good eating music.

I just can't cope with the faux-Japaneseness of it tbh... but that's my problem more than their's. Haven't been in years - in fact I think I've only been twice.

Strangely I've never been to the Satay bar - ever. I keep thinking I should go - but it looks a bit shit. So - it's actually ok is it?

I've been a couple of times recently having not been for a few years as I'd found it quite disappointing. It's been pretty good both times and they haven't had the awful music on as that put me off too. If there was a choice though I'd go for Ichiban over it every time.

Didn't know about the tips thing. Tis very naughty and will make me think twice about going.

Satay Bar's pretty good. Although I did have the same experience of the chicken satay as quimcunx last time I went. I assume it was a one off but if it happened the next time I go I'd probably not bother in future.

I had terrible satay in the satay bar too. They could at least try with that dish eh?

Perhaps we could petition the owner on the tips rather than stopping going (which won't do the workers much good). Anyone got any creative ideas how the collective might of U75 could be harnessed?

Haven't been to Fujiyama since I found out about the tips issue, a few years ago. I've started going back to the Satay Bar recently - it's not bad in a pan-Asian kind of way. Am very much looking forward to the new Thai which is opening in Brixton Village soon.

Perhaps we could petition the owner on the tips rather than stopping going (which won't do the workers much good). Anyone got any creative ideas how the collective might of U75 could be harnessed?
I'd really caution collecting some solid evidence of this practice before anyone starts associating urban75 with boycotts or whatever. For all we know the same thing could be going on in some other Brixton restaurants too, or we may not have the facts entirely straight about Fujiyama's current practices.

Oh, and if they do turn out to be dodgy, the fact that my review of Fujiyama is already #13 in Google's results and can easily be tweaked up a bit, may be useful.

:)

I'd really caution collecting some solid evidence of this practice before anyone starts associating urban75 with boycotts or whatever. For all we know the same thing could be going on in some other Brixton restaurants too, or we may not have the facts entirely straight about Fujiyama's current practices.

Fair enough. I shall ask next time I'm in for a start.

I had terrible satay in the satay bar too. They could at least try with that dish eh?

Strangely enough, I know what you and others mean about the satay in the Satay Bar. It's always seemed the least inspiring thing when I've ordered - the texture's slightly weird, it's not packed with chickeny flavour and they taste a bit like those cheap satay sticks you get from supermarket deli counters.

Which is weird considering they can normally pack decent flavours into their dishes. And some fairly respectable reviews, including Time Out iirc, pay particular compliments to their satay. I'm beginning to wonder if they really want their satay to taste like that (do they do some technique like velveting in chinese kitchens that explains the texture?) and that I've missed the point somewhat. If I'm honest I'm struggling to think of decent satay I've had anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom