Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Folkestone Harbour station - news and photos

editor

hiraethified
folkestone-harbour-04.jpg

I didn't think it would be possible to stumble upon a derelict stations untouched by graffiti and looking like something just closed by Beeching in the 60s, but as disused stations go, Folkestone Harbour is a beaut!

The signal box is still there in immaculate condition, the canopies have lost their glass, there's a weighing machine without an arm, there's still one pair of heavily rusted tracks running into the station and there's even a signal pointlessly stuck on red after the track has been lifted.

Photo report here

folkestone-harbour-16.jpg

I was sailing with a friend from Ramsgate to Brighton last year & we dropped anchor for the night in folkstone harbour took the dingy to the harbour wall & climbed up & found this place.
Quite spooky at dusk! But damn facsinating.

Picture of the end of the line on the harbour wall from the boat.
IMG_0553.jpg

Regrettably - it has "had it" - no regular traffic anymore and much money needed to retain. Gradient a bit steep for a velo rail operation. The Chunnel did for it - along with the long ago sale of Sealink to Sea Containers .....(who rationalised steam packet services)

Regrettably - it has "had it" - no regular traffic anymore and much money needed to retain. Gradient a bit steep for a velo rail operation. The Chunnel did for it - along with the long ago sale of Sealink to Sea Containers .....(who rationalised steam packet services)

Sea Containers.....If my memory serves me correctly where not they involved in the original privatised ECML operation GNER

Last edited by a moderator:
Sea Containers.....If my memory serves me correctly where not they involved in the original privatised ECML operation GNER

Indeed - Sea Containers = GNER , a stylish and democratic operation IMHO , - but the parent company went into financial trouble , which resulted in them handing back their second franchise period. (other issues also such as a tough premium and a fall-off in leisure traffic)

Steady improvement all round and well worth a dekko , - work still in progress , but it has helped spruce up the area and seems to be bringing in the visitors.

fk1.jpgfk3.jpg fk2.jpg fk4.jpg fk5.jpg fk6.jpg

I revisited the station last weekend and was impressed with the restoration work:

Return to Folkestone Harbour disused railway station - thirty photos

I revisited the station last weekend and was impressed with the restoration work:

You should have said. 😊

Next time give me a shout, would have met ya for a beer and history chat!

Back
Top Bottom