Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fire In Brixton by Footlocker?

Blimey, I know there's always a danger of that, but I thought the fire service had probably well dampened it down considering how long they spent there

What's all those figures in the window?

Is that the side view?

This does not look like the Footlocker in Brixton.

This does not look like the Footlocker in Brixton.

I know, that's why I'm confused. As I said, never ever shopped there or taken any notice of it, which is why I figured it might be the bit in Atlantic Road which I would know even less as I don't really go down there

LFB

LFBlogo_normal.jpg

LondonFire London Fire Brigade

We're attending a shop fire on Brixton Road in Brixton. Forty firefighters are at the scene.

stink of burnt plastic, brixton road closed from stockwell road to CHL/Acre lane junction, Atlantic road blocked from market row (or is it pope's road?)
Definitely looks like the footlocker building, could see a fire ladder on the atlantic road side of it.
That sure is a slow burning ember that did that.

I wonder if the building's going to have suffered any significant structural damage from these two fires?

So a lot of fire and water damage on the upper floors now... going to mess that site up for several months, presumably?

The people who run the little coffee place there will be pissed off. They only just opened again last week. Hope they are alright.

Was still smouldering well with noticeable smoke coming out of the top as I turned into Coldharbour Lane this morning. Traffic seemed to be running ok although Atlantic Road is shut, as is the tube station I believe.

A fire in the basement was what one fireman told me when I went past before. It's apparently 2 stories deep, and still had stock in; hence that horrible acrid smell.

stink of burnt plastic, brixton road closed from stockwell road to CHL/Acre lane junction, Atlantic road blocked from market row (or is it pope's road?)
Definitely looks like the footlocker building, could see a fire ladder on the atlantic road side of it.
That sure is a slow burning ember that did that.
does that mean argos is closed? grinder needs to go there later...

Cycled past at 11.15 this morning and smoke billowing from footlocker with atlantic road still closed off, though traffic moving through on the main road. Update from GF is traffic has been held back on the main road with tube shut. She's stuck on a bus trying to get to work :(

Still smoking when I was down there an hour ago.

Apparently the road was open but it has subsequently been closed. Traffic carnage unsurprisingly.

pretty much..

i figured out what the smell reminded me of today. brixton now smells like mumbai in the evening..!

You can smell it before the tube opens its doors at Brixton and as soon as the doors open it's quite overpowering as you walk through the station. I didn't really notice the smell on the way out of Brixton because the smell in the street is so strong but I really noticed it on the way back.

They were investigating the cause last I heard. Deep-seated fires in the basement.

Hard to see how someone could have gotten in without people noticing.

This was embers right? Not arson? Colleague trying to tell me it was re-looting.

Yeah like someone is going to loot a burnt-out building?

Seriously though, I was getting phonecalls from people on Wednesday warning me it had all kicked off in Brixton again. One plume of smoke in the neighbourhood and people think it's another riot. Twatter didn't help though. There's always some fuckers on there that just speculate the fuck out of shit.

Back
Top Bottom