Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Film Recommendations Please

savoloysam

Ready to move into the light
I have a week off work this week coming and needs some DVDs to watch.

I love films in the style of,

David Lynch.
Darren Aronofski.
Paul Thomas Anderson.
Alfred Hitchcock.
Danny Boyle.
Stanley Kubrick.
Richard Kelly.

Hidden gems in this style much appreciated.

I already have Mother! to watch (no spoilers please) and will be re-watching Trance (under rated classic)

What haven't you seen?

I recommend Angel Heart, Jacob's Ladder, Paris Texas, City of Lost Children, Intacto, In the Mood for Love, Children of Men,

I'll look them up thanks. Forgot about Jacob's Ladder. That's a forgotten classic.

City of lost children has been on my rewatch list for years

I’ll recommend Harry He’s here to help as something else French and quirky

Seeing that Angelo Badaltamenti did the score on City of Lost Children has me sold. I will seek a copy out.

Might re-watch Mystic River as well this week. Brilliant film. The Secret in their Eyes too. The original Argentinian version not the crappy Hollywood remake.

Cronenburg fits your list taste

I just watched Videodrome and Existenz both are excellent and free to watch on FshareTV, as are all his films. Naked Lunch is my favourite

Not all of them. A box set could be on the cards to dip in and out of.
All the box sets I have or have seen generally contain all the Hitch films you will have seen.
The exception to this is the early Hitchcock collection which includes B&W films and evn silent ones

Just finished watching Mother! Classic Aronofski. It's definitely not a film for empty heads. We'll maybe it is. Stupid humans :(

I have brought Enemy and The City of Lost Children and have made a bit of a spending splurge. I have 5 Blu Rays on order from Amazon.

After watching The Wall and Mother! at the weekend I went for something more healing last night and watched Good Will Hunting. Robin Williams is superb :)

It’s very different - a completely separate work of art really, but incredible in its own right
It's very divisive, as well. But well worth watching to see which side of the fence you fall on. I was very "I want my 108 minutes back".

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
You might enjoy some of the following: Gone Girl, Shutter Island, Handmaiden, Three Billboard Outside Ebbing Missouri, Ghost In The Shell (the anime, not the recent film), If..., Winter's Bone, Apartment Zero, That Day.

You might enjoy some of the following: Gone Girl, Shutter Island, Handmaiden, Three Billboard Outside Ebbing Missouri, Ghost In The Shell (the anime, not the recent film), If..., Winter's Bone, Apartment Zero, That Day.

Seen most of those. Shutter Island is up there with the best of the best. I'll preview the ones I haven't. Thanks.

Tried watching Liquorice Pizza last night. The latest offering from Paul Thomas Anderson. It was shit, the Blu Ray froze halfway through which saved me another hour of my life.

Hard to think that this is the same great writer and director that treated us to such delights as Magnolia and There Will Be Blood. He's done nothing worth watching since.

Tried watching Liquorice Pizza last night. The latest offering from Paul Thomas Anderson. It was shit, the Blu Ray froze halfway through which saved me another hour of my life.

Hard to think that this is the same great writer and director that treated us to such delights as Magnolia and There Will Be Blood. He's done nothing worth watching since.

Yeah, I think he fell into the good ol' "Hollywood thinks it's more interesting than it is" trap. Tarantino did the same thing earlier (but a more watchable thing tbf).

Yeah, I think he fell into the good ol' "Hollywood thinks it's more interesting than it is" trap. Tarantino did the same thing earlier (but a more watchable thing tbf).

The Hateful Eight took me about eight sessions to finish as it kept quite literally knocking me out to sleep :D

In the Electric Mist

A Louisiana detective tries to link the murder of a local prostitute to a New Orleans mobster who is co-producing a Civil War film. He embarks on a surreal investigation while looking for a serial killer.

Just finished watching Enemy. Pretty good, not brilliant but an intriguing film all the same. Elements of David Lynch in there for sure. Slightly reminiscent of Mulholland Drive.

Going to watch City of Lost Children tonight. Will report back.

Bloody hell guys. Watched the first two minutes of people constantly screaming and had to turn it off. I am traumatised enough as it is. Care to explain what it was I was missing?

Ended up watching my favourite actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman "Most Wanted Man" Very good film. It may have been his final hour screen wise but it wasn't his personal finest.

Back
Top Bottom