Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

You seem to be expecting an awful lot from an unpaid, volunteer website run by a handful of people in their spare time that has already provided far more coverage and background to the whole issue of the festivals being put on at the park than anyone else.

Instead of barking out orders like you're some kind of boss, why don't you get off your arse and do some digging yourself if you view it as such an important issue? I'd be delighted to publish your findings - or is that too much like hard work for you?

Oh, and where have you seen these "myriad allegations that security were selling drugs"? Source please.

I wasn't there. If I had been in attendance in a journalistic capacity I'd be all over the two issues I raised. As regards the accusations of drug-dealing by security, you admit yourself in an earlier post that you're hearing 'plenty of dodgy accusations'. Perhaps you were referring to their sartorial choices?

I wasn't there. If I had been in attendance in a journalistic capacity I'd be all over the two issues I raised. As regards the accusations of drug-dealing by security, you admit yourself in an earlier post that you're hearing 'plenty of dodgy accusations'.
And tell me how you'd be "all over" the issues, seeing most of them have only come to light after the festival. What would you have done? Installed a spy cam in the drug search tent or something?

The one incident I directly experienced - the unpleasant, heavy handed drug search has been documented in my report - and as I've already stated, I can't substantiate the rumours I heard so it would be quite wrong to publish them.

But you've insisted that there have been "myriad allegations" that security were selling drugs. For the third time of asking, could you provide some evidenced examples of these many, many documented instances that you appear to be referring to? Thanks.

And tell me how you'd be "all over" the issues, seeing most of them have only come to light after the festival. What would you have done? Installed a spy cam in the drug search tent or something?

The one incident I directly experienced - the unpleasant, heavy handed drug search has been documented in my report - and as I've already stated, I can't substantiate the rumours I heard so it would be quite wrong to publish them.

But you've insisted that there have been "myriad allegations" that security were selling drugs. For the third time of asking, could you provide some evidenced examples of these many, many documented instances that you appear to be referring to? Thanks.

There were accusations on Twitter and I spoke to off-their-face people in the Prince Regent who said they had bought drugs from security. Also (and critically, given that you're now bizarrely asking for conformation that these allegations have been aired) the editor of Urban75 wrote: "I'm hearing plenty of dodgy comments about the security and drugs but probably best not to repeat them here", and followed that post up with an image of Spock. Are you now saying you didn't hear any allegations?

There were accusations on Twitter and I spoke to off-their-face people in the Prince Regent who said they had bought drugs from security. Also (and critically, given that you're now bizarrely asking for conformation that these allegations have been aired) the editor of Urban75 wrote: "I'm hearing plenty of dodgy comments about the security and drugs but probably best not to repeat them here", and followed that post up with an image of Spock. Are you now saying you didn't hear any allegations?
I did hear "dodgy comments about the security and drugs" but as I have no absolutely proof to back up any of the comments, I'm not going to post them up here. Because to do so would be libellous.

You, on the other hand, have claimed to be party to "myriad allegations that security were selling drugs." I've asked multiple times for some actual evidence - or at least a source of these many, many, many allegations - but if the best you can come up with is your undocumented claimed conversations with "off-their-face people" in a pub, well, let's leave it at that because it's getting a bit embarrassing now.

At least all your daft posturing has proved how difficult it is to get hard evidence for these kind of claims. Which is exactly why I haven't published them in a public forum as an identifiable author.

:facepalm: :D

Disappointing to see homophobia bubbling up on social media in response to the Mighty Hoopla festival.... :(

I don’t understand why the wall is still up. The metal gates where the turnstiles were are open so anyone can gain access to the site. The event finished 3 days ago, they should at least be forced to allow through access

Resident Advisor review:

The site was more compact than the sprawling Victoria Park, but relative to the number of people who were there things were comfortable. Getting off the tube at Brixton on Saturday afternoon, the foot traffic leading to Brockwell Park showed that the site was going to be under much more strain for the festival's second day. I didn't notice any obvious problems unfolding, but later in the afternoon word got around that The Barn, the enormous structure that in 2017 hosted Aphex Twin, was suffering from overcrowding. (Only around half the venue was in use this year.) The main stage's closure around 9 PM put extra pressure on The Barn, and a decision was made to temporarily stop Four Tet's set in order to disperse the crowd. It was concerning to see words like "dangerous" and "scary" used by festivalgoers in the Twitter post-mortem. There were many great moments throughout the weekend, but it's clear that if Field Day returns to Brockwell Park in 2019, some big changes will need to be made.

Review: Field Day 2018: Five key performances

And that Twitter thread:

And...

I don’t understand why the wall is still up. The metal gates where the turnstiles were are open so anyone can gain access to the site. The event finished 3 days ago, they should at least be forced to allow through access

I may be wrong but I thought part of the deal with Field Day was that they would pay for the wall. It would be used for the new closed off Lambeth Country show?

There's a post on the tranquillity site which says that a FD staff member working on this is off due to compassionate leave.
I'm sorry to hear this but given the big PR splash they made about 'their' generous contribution you think there could be someone else able to take on the job - and able to communicate this to the groups expecting a payment.

At school the term Hoopla was used to describe the act of being held down and then getting someones bare bum in the your face, followed most of the time by the bum farting. The aim of the assailant was to get their ring-piece as close to the nose of the unfortunate victim as possible before letting one out. Not a particularly nice thing to receive I can tell you.

Green Party statement:

News release: Green Party welcomes Field Day decision to withdraw from
Brockwell Park, calls on Lambeth Council to reset events policy, abandon
Culture 2020 consultation

Lambeth Green Party councillors have welcomed the decision by the
organisers of the Field Day music festival not to apply for a licence to
hold the 2019 event in Brockwell Park. The councillors, who lead the
opposition on Lambeth Council, have also called for the Culture 2020
plans which gave the go-ahead for Lambeth’s large parks to be used for
such events, to be scrapped.

After it emerged over the weekend that Field Day would not be applying
for a licence for 2019 [1], Lambeth Council confirmed the reports on
Monday stating that: “Field Day will not take place at Brockwell Park in
2019, as the festival is being re-formatted for a unique new site in
London."

It is understood that the Mighty Hoopla, a predominantly LGBT event
which was headlined in 2018 by TLC and Lily Allen, and which is owned by
a different company, East Creative, will be applying for a licence to
bring the festival back to Brockwell Park in 2019.

Lambeth Council is due to hold “drop-in” feedback sessions at Gallery
198 on Railton Road on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. [2]

Herne Hill Councillor Becca Thackray (Green Party) said:

“Field Day’s decision to hold the festival in a more suitable location
is the right one, for them and for the people of Herne Hill. While I
commend the organisers for their efforts to minimise the disruption to
the area in May, it was always going to be impossible to simultaneously
satisfy paying festival-goers and meet the needs of local residents.

“Lambeth Council must now demonstrate that they have learned from the
mistakes that were made which allowed Field Day to come in the first
place. It is evident that the Culture 2020 is not fit for purpose.
definitions are too vague and leave local people completely in the dark
as to what the real world outcomes would be. The plan ought to be
scrapped. This now provides an opportunity for the council to rework its
events policy on a park-by-park rather than blanket, one-size fits all
basis. That is how Lambeth will re-engage with the community and restore
the public’s faith in how it operates.

“The Green Party’s position on this remains what it has been from the
start: That an event of this scale and impact is not right for Brockwell
Park, and that before making a decision to hold any major event in a
public space there must be a genuine effort to consult with the
community it will affect. In addition we now insist that such events
will be of demonstrable benefit to local businesses and people, and that
any profits from such events will clearly go to the parks themselves.”

Jonathan Bartley, Leader of the Opposition in Lambeth and co-leader of
the Green Party of England and Wales said:

“Two different festival organisers have now found that it is entirely
inappropriate for large scale music events to be held in Brockwell Park.
It’s time Lambeth Council caught up and stopped pimping out our public
spaces. Our common land should be used well, and that means that it must
be protected from damage, accessible to all, and the health and
wellbeing and residents must come first when events are put on.

"The Council's failure to provide residents with adequate information
at feedback sessions - for example that Field Day had already decided to
go elsewhere - demonstrates once again how much it needs to do to win
back trust. The public perception it is of secret maneuverings and a
lack of openness, rather than a willingness to work with local people
over how our precious green spaces are used.”

When it gets to around spring time of next year i can imagine some members of Brockwell Tranquility and various other Herne Hill residents are going to be quite disappointed, not because the festival will not be going ahead, but because they will have lost a purpose in their otherwise boring and uneventful lives to complain and campaign about a music festival near to where they live.

When it gets to around spring time of next year i can imagine some members of Brockwell Tranquility and various other Herne Hill residents are going to be quite disappointed, not because the festival will not be going ahead, but because they will have lost a purpose in their otherwise boring and uneventful lives to complain and campaign about a music festival near to where they live.
I think you underestimate the capacity for whining round here

It's laser sharp, witty, empathic and erudite comments like this that keep me coming back here.

I could take or leave Field Day but the Mighty Hoopla was a great day out, with throwbacks to the old Brockwell Park Prides. Shame it's a commercial, fenced off affair though.

theres no way Mighty Hoopla could afford all that infrastructure for a 1 day gig. The Organisers must have a new festival planned for the other days.

Back
Top Bottom