Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fence engineering question...

gentlegreen

I hummus, therefore I am ...
The final part of my new fence is a 10 foot section of 6 foot high feather-edge.
My neighbour out to save me money only bought 4 bits of arris rail and we cut them so they shared the middle post.
He only used two horizontals on his fence - he was using timber he had, I'm using ready-notched posts...

But since I have no use for the offcuts, I've screwed them into the middle position - but they leave gaps ...

Would this likely to be a bad idea given the arris rail's likely desire to become a tree again - and thereby pulling the feather-edge boards out of shape, or would the whole assembly be an improvement on just two rails ?

fenceissue.jpg

Improvement, although it’s really the ends that like to bend with the weather so the absence or otherwise of a middle bit won’t make much difference in that regard.

Improvement, although it’s really the ends that like to bend with the weather so the absence or otherwise of a middle bit won’t make much difference in that regard.
But there are now two more ends than there normally would be, both unsupported by posts.

If the rail bending is a concern, should be trivial to extend it with a bit of wood, or a steel plate or some random thing.

Something doesn’t look right.
There are gaps. I'm simply hoping to make use of the offcuts from the other two rails.
The top and bottom rails are more than sufficient for a fence, but I am by instinct an over-engineer and I hate waste ...

There are gaps. I'm simply hoping to make use of the offcuts from the other two rails.
The top and bottom rails are more than sufficient for a fence, but I am by instinct an over-engineer and I hate waste ...
Do you have enough to saw them down to use as centre stump posts?

If I wanted to split a square post to fill in the gaps, how dangerous would it be to use a circular saw and a workmate ?
Actually, since they're so short, I might be able to use my bevel saw ...

If I wanted to split a square post to fill in the gaps, how dangerous would it be to use a circular saw and a workmate ?
Actually, since they're so short, I might be able to use my bevel saw ...
You'd need a cutting depth of 100mm to split a 3x3 post and need to be very accurate to split it diagonally. You'd be adding no strength to the fence. Just buy another length of arris rail and save your fingers.

Aris rail isn’t special, it’s supposedly shaped to let the water drain off but that makes zero difference to it’s lifespan, you can just use any standard bit of timber with a rectangular cross-section.

Aris rail isn’t special, it’s supposedly shaped to let the water drain off but that makes zero difference to it’s lifespan, you can just use any standard bit of timber with a rectangular cross-section.
yes, but my posts have triangular notches.
I imagined it was about minimal compromise of the strength of the posts...

I've decided to hedge my bets. Somewhat loosely attach the rail segments to the posts, but screw the boards to them so I reckon I will have added a bit of benefit from otherwise wasted material. :)

Back
Top Bottom