Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

February 2015 Photo Thread

16607340946_3553b80062_o.jpg

16446298860_7dc64d77f1_o.jpg

B&W expert types some advice on improving this shot would be appreciated please. I don't really do much in B&W but am starting to appreciate its abilities to create some nice contrasts. Still very much a noob though when it comes to making adjustments in b&W output

bwIMG_9498-Edit1-Edit-Edit.jpg

B&W expert types some advice on improving this shot would be appreciated please. I don't really do much in B&W but am starting to appreciate its abilities to create some nice contrasts. Still very much a noob though when it comes to making adjustments in b&W output<snip>
ViolentPanda

B&W expert types some advice on improving this shot would be appreciated please. I don't really do much in B&W but am starting to appreciate its abilities to create some nice contrasts. Still very much a noob though when it comes to making adjustments in b&W output

View attachment 68095

It's pretty good as it is. You could probably get a better tonal range by setting a manual white balance with a white card or similar beforehand, rather than relying on auto white balance or a program white balance setting (that way the dog's tongue wouldn't look whiter than the dog's teeth ;) ), and metering off of the dog and the background separately then averaging the two and manually-inputting that, rather than letting the camera provide a reading that's either centre-weighted,or averaged across the whole frame. You used a wide enough aperture to blur out extraneous background detail (about f4-f5.6?) but not so wide that the zone of focus is only as long as the dog's nose.
Post production-wise, you could mess around with levels, but all in all your pic is a good one.

mrs quoad . Great photos with only one niggle - you've got a central horizon line in almost every pic, whereas the rule of thirds/the golden ratio provides more choices for composition.

It's pretty good as it is. You could probably get a better tonal range by setting a manual white balance with a white card or similar beforehand, rather than relying on auto white balance or a program white balance setting (that way the dog's tongue wouldn't look whiter than the dog's teeth ;) ), and metering off of the dog and the background separately then averaging the two and manually-inputting that, rather than letting the camera provide a reading that's either centre-weighted,or averaged across the whole frame. You used a wide enough aperture to blur out extraneous background detail (about f4-f5.6?) but not so wide that the zone of focus is only as long as the dog's nose.
Post production-wise, you could mess around with levels, but all in all your pic is a good one.

thanks it was at f4
i will take it into lightrroom/photosop and do some post production on it. hopefully wont ruin it in the process

Untitled-1.jpg

taken from inside a moving car doing 70 mph on the A55 last night using a samsung galaxy s3.

there are times when i could seriously kick myself for not carrying a proper camera with me all the time but this turned out pretty well

no photoshoppery has been involved at all.

Back
Top Bottom