Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Faster than Light

It does look interesting. Do you get a big chair, warning klaxons, and the like? Not sure I should be playing another game when I have so many RL things I need to do at the moment.

It does look interesting. Do you get a big chair, warning klaxons, and the like? Not sure I should be playing another game when I have so many RL things I need to do at the moment.

Your pilot does. Lots of fires, areas decompressing, engines canna take any more cap'n. That kind of thing. It doesn't take long to play. I did about 40 mins last night and played about 6 games. I only got out of the first system once - but there's more ships to earn and weapons and upgrades and stuff. It's good.

I was expecting some realistic graphics like the train sims or whatever, but it doesn't seem there's even a first-person view?

Nah. You basically see your ship and whoever you're fighting. Then you jump to another sector when possible. Maps are randomly generated. Goal is to get through about ten galaxies of 7 or so jumps each.

It's a rogue-like in space, basically.

Slightly cheaper to buy direct http://www.ftlgame.com/

I was dubious at first. Bought it after work and thought I'd have a quick go. Ended staying up till 4. Got to sector 4 twice.

Can't work out if it's better to spend scrap upgrading the ship? Or save the scrap for the stores?

I was dubious at first. Bought it after work and thought I'd have a quick go. Ended staying up till 4. Got to sector 4 twice.

Can't work out if it's better to spend scrap upgrading the ship? Or save the scrap for the stores?

This is pretty much what I did. So far I keep running out of crew.

Yes. I am having the same dilemma.
I unlocked the engi ship too. It needs a proper gun. :mad:

This is pretty much what I did. So far I keep running out of crew.
It'd be ideal to have four or more crew but I keep getting boarded.
Yes. I am having the same dilemma.
I unlocked the engi ship too. It needs a proper gun. :mad:
How do you unlock the engi ship? I've been gifted a few great weapons so far.

I tried upgrading shields to two. Didn't have much power for weapons though. Was doing well until a ship missiled (i think?) my shield room.

Get to sector 5 to unlock the engi ship. It has drones. And a really stupid gun. Bloody engi.

I don't know how to get the other ships though.

You can buy crew at stores. I picked up a stasis pod last night l, which looked interesting, but I couldn't do anything with it.

I should be playing torchlight II, but I just can't stop.

Engi ship is great with a beam drone, knock out the shields and weapons with Ion, watch the Beam rip apart enemy ship, cackle.

Lack of weapons and drone recovery is annoying for all ships though, really hard to afford them from stores and rarely get given them when you need them :(

I unlocked the B layout of the Engi cruiser. It's an automated ship with 1 pilot & 3 drones. Surprisingly difficult to use.

Has anybody unlocked any of the other ships?

afaict, this involves a picture of two ships, with passably slow animation, followed by a picture of a map.

Choose to jump to a star, and see another picture of two ships (maybe) or suddenly get a magic 'THE FUCK IS BEING BOARDED OUT OF YOUR ASS' message, then die horribly.

I managed to get to sector 5 in the kestrel. I was very lucky and levelled the entire crew.

The engi ship is very different. Have to kept pausing after each ion beam shot to retarget.

Ideally I'd have two drones going at the same time but I keep getting shot up.

afaict, this involves a picture of two ships, with passably slow animation, followed by a picture of a map.

Choose to jump to a star, and see another picture of two ships (maybe) or suddenly get a magic 'THE FUCK IS BEING BOARDED OUT OF YOUR ASS' message, then die horribly.

That's a very basic summary. But I feel you may be missing out on some of the subtler nuances. :D

I think the key to the engi ship is getting some kind of other weapon. The Ion thing is decent but it doesn't seem to affect stuff for long, and the ship attack drone is rubbish without any support. But, get a missile working or a laser and you're in business.

Missiles seem to be the best weapon. But then a defence drone basically makes them obsolete.

Fun isnt it? :D

Got to sector 8 in the engi ship. standard ion beam with three drones a defence 2, beam 1 and anti-ship 1.

With shields up to 4 I could keep wittling away at the enemy with the drones.

No chance at the big boss though. It'd cloak when I got the shields down. I needed missiles.

Got to sector 8 in the engi ship. standard ion beam with three drones a defence 2, beam 1 and anti-ship 1.

With shields up to 4 I could keep wittling away at the enemy with the drones.

No chance at the big boss though. It'd cloak when I got the shields down. I needed missiles.

Jesus. Well done. I think I've only ever got as far as 6 or 7.

ftl.jpg

What are you meant to do when you get boarders? I tried opening a load of doors to kill them but they still ate the crew. :mad:

Try and fight them in your medbay. You're pretty much invincible. If you improve your doors you can lock them in and then remove the air, or it's a case of sticking some crew to fight them, and then moving them to the medbay when they get knacked. Replace with different crew, rinse and repeat.

Or you can firebomb your own ship. :D

Hmmm. I'm still waiting for something that lives up to Freespace 2.
Did you play Eve?
I did manage to kill some boarders eventually but I only had one crew member left and the entire ship was on fire.
Pause. All the time. Keep checking your crew roster on the left. Anyone with health falling fast send them to the sickbay.

Early game boarders killed me so many times.

Back
Top Bottom