Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farewell to the old Victoria Line trains

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Over the past few weeks it's seemed that the old Victoria Line trains are well on their way to becoming the exception rather than the rule. There are quite a lot of the new ones in service now.

So I've been taking some photos of the old trains before they all disappear.

4960650405_8ebc744917_b.jpg

4960653459_3f34fe9f3e_b.jpg

4961252874_fab8fa6955_b.jpg

4961256404_417a873306_b.jpg

4961259654_297b691367_b.jpg

I'd don't mind the new trains, but they don't seem quite as trusty as those Victoria faithfuls. I've been on two of the clean new ones and they've had to go to some kind of - I shit you not - reboot procedure; something that seems to consist of turning all the lights off, powering down... a worrying little wait and then starting up quite slowly, all to a hesitant soundtrack of embarrassed driver. Thankfully I've been no more inconvenienced than that.

how old are those trains?

It is officially the "1967 stock" so I suppose most of it is indeed 43 years old, although I think some didn't start service until the Victoria Line was extended to Brixton in 1970.

Although at the time of the refurbishment in the early 1990s, I regretted the loss of the original stylish all metal livery, it has to be said that the revamped trains have been amazingly reliable.

Man, I'd fogotten those coil things with the ball on the end sticking out the ceiling :cool:

Not sure if I ever got to the point where I could reach 'em :oops: :D

I'd always assumed the circular lights at the carriage ends were part of the original design, but looking at those photos obviously not. Likewise the fan/vent things in the ceiling.

Victoria Line Fact: It is the only line apart from Waterloo and City whose journey consists of always being underground.

The pre-refurb design of '67 Stock was one of my LU favourites, though it was pipped slightly by the 1973 Stock for the Piccadilly Line for elegance.

Very stylish and silvery 60's (though a bit bleak) , when built - the refurb in the 80's has lasted well. The family remains alive on the Bakerloo line.

(the scrapping takes place in Rotherham incidentally - their last trip is up north on a lorry)

I use the Victoria line to go to work but I rarely get on a new train - maybe they aren't using them much in the early mornings?

I'm sort of sorry the old ones are going - they have been running up and down that line since the year I left school ;-)
I don't think the new ones are any better, they seem more spacious inside but that's only because the seats are narrower (and not so comfortable in my opinion). With all the money spent I expected something better really - not quite sure in what way though.

Now, the new London Overground East London line trains........they are great!!

The new ones are excruciatingly hot. Hard to believe they've actually managed to make them even more uncomfortable.

The new trains are more spacious however the seats appear to have no padding whatsoever and are very uncomfortable. The new ones are far more spacious and I'm sure help with capacity issues - just please, put some foam in the seats!

The new ones are excruciatingly hot. Hard to believe they've actually managed to make them even more uncomfortable.

The new trains are more spacious however the seats appear to have no padding whatsoever and are very uncomfortable. The new ones are far more spacious and I'm sure help with capacity issues - just please, put some foam in the seats!

I haven't noticed them being particularly hot but then I don't usually travel in the rush hour. I agree about the seats though.

I think the new trains are a bit quieter (less of that shrieking sound when they are at speed) which is probably better for everyone's hearing.

odd really to have spent the wedge removing reliable if old stock when the cash would have been much better spent doing something about the circle/hammersmith &C/Met/District, ie the Underground as opposed to tube stock

Longtime since I did the run out to Rickmansworth on the Met but I was shaken to shit at speed, its the same stock only MUCH older now, fuck knows what its like
Contrast with the ultra comfy Chiltern Railway over the same stretch of line (tho diff actual tracks I know - continous welded for the mainline so will always be smoother - why LT dont do that on the outer lines I have no clue)

nr29.jpg

Though I kinda miss their old bone rattlers.....

chilternbubble.jpg

odd really to have spent the wedge removing reliable if old stock when the cash would have been much better spent doing something about the circle/hammersmith &C/Met/District, ie the Underground as opposed to tube stock

Longtime since I did the run out to Rickmansworth on the Met but I was shaken to shit at speed, its the same stock only MUCH older now, fuck knows what its like
Contrast with the ultra comfy Chiltern Railway over the same stretch of line (tho diff actual tracks I know - continous welded for the mainline so will always be smoother - why LT dont do that on the outer lines I have no clue)

nr29.jpg

Though I kinda miss their old bone rattlers.....

chilternbubble.jpg

They've got new trains coming into service on the Met Line right now, and the Circle, H&C and District later; air conditioned ones at that.

Track on the Met /Circle is really rough riding - short rail section in the tunnels with fishplate bolts / joints - plus pounding it gets each day , plus the underlying clay strata - the new trains look great and will ride better (but they are sort of known as "S" stock - as in seatless...)

The new ones are very hot indeed and also there is a problem with the sensors that think something is obstructing the doors when there isn’t anything, I’ve been kicked off 2 trains recently where this just couldn’t be fixed, rubbish

The new ones are very hot indeed and also there is a problem with the sensors that think something is obstructing the doors when there isn’t anything, I’ve been kicked off 2 trains recently where this just couldn’t be fixed, rubbish

They are really hot that's for sure, a problem exacerbated by the victoria line being all underground. It makes me livid. They are presumably using more energy than the last lot , dumb, what a design fkup. :mad:

If I have enough 'angry old man time' I might try and get a response out of the Victoria line.

If I have enough 'angry old man time' I might try and get a response out of the Victoria line.

Are you going to stand in the station and shout at it? I've tried this but it just ignores me, just sits there and looks long, thin and metal like it always does :mad:

Gerry Fiennes - one of the best ever railway managers said he once kicked a recalcitrant electric train on the Shenfield Line to get it going - it worked - I dont reccomend in todays environment.

Back
Top Bottom