Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook to integrate WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger

It will confuse the fuck out of my mother, who has no interest in instagram.

ETA: Should have read article first, all will still have standalone apps. On the plus side, I'll be able to ditch Messenger or Whatsapp, so one app less, maybe both if it looks tody enough inside Instagram.

Downside is will enable further user tracking, especially via number if you use whatsapp.

I guess part of the plan is to also crack down on trolls/bullying.

I hate Facebook so much but it's a necessary evil. I expect this new merge will just provide the cunty company with even more ways to scoop up personal data.

From that link -

While all three will remain stand-alone apps, at a much deeper level they will be linked so messages can travel between the different services.

Facebook told the BBC it was at the start of a "long process".

The plan was first reported in the New York Times and is believed to be a personal project of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.

Once complete, the merger would mean that a Facebook user could communicate directly with someone who only has a WhatsApp account. This is currently impossible as the applications have no common core.

The work to merge the three elements has already begun, reported the NYT, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019 or early next year.

Shared data
Mr Zuckerberg is reportedly pushing the integration plan to make its trinity of services more useful and increase the amount of time people spend on them.

By effectively joining all its users into one massive group Facebook could compete more effectively with Google's messaging services and Apple's iMessage, suggested Makena Kelly on tech news site The Verge.

"We want to build the best messaging experiences we can; and people want messaging to be fast, simple, reliable and private," said Facebook in a statement.

"We're working on making more of our messaging products end-to-end encrypted and considering ways to make it easier to reach friends and family across networks," it added.

For me,WhatsApp is the most convenient way to message and call people between countries and across platforms without incurring massive sms/voice costs.

There are others of course but it seems to be the most common mobile messaging platform by miles.

I find FB messenger annoying but necessary. Lots of people I message on there who's number I don't have or particularly want. Actual exchange of numbers implies someone might one day call me. No thanks.

But FB messenger has games built into it now. I have a couple of people forever challenging me to their quiz game. Which I can't help but get sucked into. Even though I hate losing and get no joy from winning.

I use WhatsApp constantly, try to avoid Messenger and think Instagram is the absolute worst social media platform and don't want to go near it. I don't want this but will probably have to lump it

Still using telegram as my preferred chat platform

Me too. And certainly won’t be tempted onto WhatsApp now.

I prefer Signal if I’m going to be careful about this stuff, for assorted dull reasons. But it does show that the state of affairs with messaging apps is fucked when there are even multiple secure paranoid systems, let alone all the other ones.

I’ve said it before but the environment is way worse than it used to be even when IM first took off. At least then the protocols were relatively open and didn’t rely on server side stuff, so you could have one program that connected to everything. Now there are way more networks and they are almost all closed. I just send people emails and texts mostly because you know that’s the lowest common denominator.

Not in favour of this obv but mainly posting on this thread to moan about how it's now impossible to attend any kind of event with other people without endless messaging often on multiple platforms. I said I was going ffs and I am going! Just turn up!

Not in favour of this obv but mainly posting on this thread to moan about how it's now impossible to attend any kind of event with other people without endless messaging often on multiple platforms. I said I was going ffs and I am going! Just turn up!
It is though isn't it. I mean you know who your feckin friends are when they just expect to be able to post an invite on Facebook knowing that you don't use Facebook. Can you not just send a feckin email?

My old chums and I have pretty much reverted back to email for organising our occasional stuff. It's the only option that everyone has and still uses.

Fuck this “dull reasons” shit, FM.
You’re bang on with this - it’s bad news for anyone who cares about privacy:

It is though isn't it. I mean you know who your feckin friends are when they just expect to be able to post an invite on Facebook knowing that you don't use Facebook. Can you not just send a feckin email?
Oh I'm not talking about the original invitation. I mean last minute "is anyone still going?" and all that bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom