Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook are evil

It's when I jump from this site to Facebook I'm reminded of just how shitty they are and how people just put up with their crap.

I completely agree. This site = zero nonsense, go about your business unbothered. Facebook? NOW THEN! ABOUT THAT THING WE WANT YOU TO DO! EH?! EH?!

I am on Fb but as Spamela Spamson, so that I can look at some stuff on synths. No way would I be on there otherwise. I get it, it's unavoidable for certain things but, fortunately for me, I'm not involved in those things.

What I find hilarious is that if you don't 'save' your login to your browser (I use a password manager instead, I'm assuming they do this in a cookie they can track), they suggest that 'you're having problems signing in' and send you emails to ensure you're not having any trouble. 👀👀👀👀👀👀

The worst thing is, even if you don't use facebook yourself, there's still a risk they've already hoovered up your phone numbers from the contact list of someone you know who does use facebook and said "yes, please do upload my contacts to the mothership". All part of facebook's "shadow profiles".

Google do the same thing of course, but they're not as transparently evil as facebook so most people hold them in higher regard.

If I'm remembering correctly, I celebrate my ten year anniversary of quitting facebook in three months time. But I never had any friends or social life anyway :)

I feel sorry for those that feel compelled or even trapped in to feeling that have to continue using vile services like facebook and wish there was a way of saving the baby from the pissy bathwater and keep the core concept without the sweaty jockstrap of surveillance capitalism. But sadly the core concept for anything now seems to be surveillance capitalism.

Yeah, I've written at length about the evils of social media as part of a longer screed on the importance of 'biodiversity' (cultural as well as literal). This is why the GDPR won't work; big networks like this can just absorb the cost and change their term of service to just keep doing the same evil shit they were doing before. The whole thing needs to go down the pan imo, but I don't know how that's going to happen.

this is a great interview with tristan harris. (i know rebel wisdom is a bit dodgy) but the interview is chilling in my view.

How much is my data protected if I've only deactivated my account and not deleted it? Presumably not much more?

Facebook suppresses an internal report:

Here's an interesting observation from one of the commenters:

I feel like the people commenting in this thread are too hung up on getting a dig at zuck and are kinnda missing the concerning bits about the report. You'll notice that there is very little in the way of explanation about the metrics used in the report, that can only be because the author expected his audience to already be familiar with them. Let that roll around in your head for a second, Facebook already has ways to identify hate speech, racism, misinformation and track their spread. They undoubtedly have a data driven approach to moderating groups, and that is where these metrics are from. They also go on to show that these metrics could be used to identify problem groups ahead of events like storming the capital or driving through crowds.
Given that everybody and their dog knows facebook was a hub for the seditionist, why pull the report down and risk the Streisand effect? My guess they didn't want the public to see their internal metrics. Imagine forcing Facebook to publicly reveal those metrics.

Say all you will about the products but their engineering is top class. Their open source contributions are probably the best of all tech firms also.

Back
Top Bottom