Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2024

Here we go again. It's one of those kids' sports day affairs with an egg and spoon shootout and a three-legged sprint. Miami-style, in one of the most attractive car-parks on the eastern seaboard.

Sadly, it turns out the sprint shootout clashes with Gardeners World, which is going to put Mrs Limejuice in a snit all weekend. Still, omelettes and eggs.

The UK telly times will be:

Fri 3 May
FP1 - 17:30
Sprint shootout - 21:30

Sat 4 May
Sprint - 17:00
Qual - 21:00

Sun 5 May
Race - 21:00

I wonder who's going to come third??

Gone.

Adrian Newey, one of the most celebrated designers in Formula One history, will leave Red Bull next year. The team confirmed that the 65-year-old Briton, considered to be the mastermind behind their unprecedented dominance of the sport, is set to end his two-decade stay in the “first quarter of 2025”.

Ferrari – soon to be joined by Lewis Hamilton – are in pole position to sign him and Newey’s departure places further pressure on the Red Bull team principal, Christian Horner. Horner was cleared in February of alleged misconduct towards a female employee, who has lodged an appeal against the outcome.

It is understood that Newey had become uncomfortable with his position at the team in the fallout from the furore that has engulfed the defending world champions.

I watched it live.

Afterwards I reenacted it on the game F1 GP over and over in an attempt to understand it.
I just couldn't make sense of what had happened.

Probably the greatest driver that ever was.

I'm not sure if you can read anything into this but Eddie Jordan suggests Newey might "take time out and cruise for a while. .. before diving into any other employment career" in the podcast [with David Coultard] /twitter clip below and as the BBC article below mentions Newey & Jordan are very close, so he should know.
Mind you, it also says there are reports he's had meetings with Vasseur in London in the last week and Jordan says later in that podcast he thinks Ferrari/Vasseur's best days are coming up.

He also revealed that his departure had been handled by former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan, who Newey described as his “close friend and manager”.
Newey said he would spend the rest of his remaining time with Red Bull focusing on completing the forthcoming RB17 super-car.

He also revealed that his departure had been handled by former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan, who Newey described as his “close friend and manager”.

Jordan and Newey have succeeded in pulling off a major coup in extricating the designer from a contract that ran to the end of 2025 and included a 12-month “non-compete” clause which should have meant he was not available to any other team until 2027 at the earliest.

Apple podcast of DC & EJ discussion here -

I said back in post #208 that I felt Lewis was moving to Ferrari because he believed Newey was going there. I think all this talk in the press now about it is bullshit and the deal was done months ago, the reporters are just playing catch up. I think Lewis was told by Ferrari "we have got Newey onboard" and that is why he went there.

Practice 1: Leclerc spins the car within the track, misses the walls. Comes to a halt facing the wrong way.

He can't three-point-turn it to face the right way.

Red flag.

:eek:

ETA: the track reverts to its original purpose as a car park.

:D

Williams in talks to sign Newey​

Williams has emerged as a surprise candidate to sign Adrian Newey. Following confirmation on Wednesday that Newey will be leaving Red Bull at the end of this season after 19 years of service, speculation has heavily linked the most successful designer in F1 history with a move to Ferrari. Ahead of this weekend's Miami Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton made no secret of his desire that Ferrari sign Newey in his bid to become a record-breaking eight-time F1 champion when he joins the Scuderia next season.

It is understood, however, that despite Ferrari's willingness to break the bank to sign Newey and conclude a pursuit that has been years in the making after previously failed attempts to recruit his services, the 65-year-old is entrenched in his view that he has no desire to move to Italy. With Aston Martin also courting Newey, and with the financial resources at its disposal, the two powerhouses would appear to be in a tug-of-war to land the most wanted man in F1 at present. However, Williams team principal James Vowles has also held talks with Newey to persuade him to return to an organisation where he won the first of his 25 combined constructors' and drivers' titles.

After starting his extraordinary career with March in 1988, Newey moved on to Williams three years later and turned the team into the dominant force of the early 1990s as his cars won constructors' titles over three consecutive years from 1992-'94, and again in 1996, although he had been placed on gardening leave during that season ahead of a switch to McLaren. Under Newey, Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill won their only drivers' titles with Williams in 1992 and 1996 respectively, whilst Alain Prost became a four-time champion in 1993.

'Our door is always open'
Although Williams may not possess the financial clout of Ferrari and Aston Martin, Vowles has been given the blessing of owners Dorilton Capital to lure Newey back to Grove and potentially return the team to the front of the grid after years in the wilderness.
Vowles has made a considerable impression on the team since his appointment early last year following a move from Mercedes, guiding Williams to seventh in the constructors' championship, its highest position since 2017. Although it is understood talks have started positively, Vowles knows he faces a task to win over Newey given he is in the long-term process of rebuilding Williams' outdated infrastructure that is years behind its rivals.

The new power unit regulations for 2026 at least offer all teams a clean sheet of paper, and the opportunity to establish itself at the front of a field currently dominated by a Newey-inspired Red Bull. Newey could yet relish the chance to restore the good name of a team where it all started for him, one that is close to home, and where he would be allowed free reign, unlike at Ferrari where he could face being stymied by a complicated infrastructure, and at Aston Martin where owner Lawrence Stroll pulls the strings tightly on his staff. Williams driver Alex Albon, who worked with Newey at Red Bull, sees no reason why Vowles could not lure him to the team. "It will be interesting to see his next move," said Albon. "I'm sure every team is chasing him down to try and get hold of him. Whatever he chooses, whether it's retirement or racing, I wish him all the best. And obviously, our door is always open as well."

[I'm sure we are going to read loads of stories that Newey has been talking to this team and that team, but I find it hard to believe that he hasn't already signed with a team]

insult to be under investigation for cross the track after everyone had been sent thru the pits as well

So, I fucking raced home to be in time for the 6pm start. Made it with barely minutes to spare.

Loaded up the stream and...

:mad:

Its a later race for your side of the world

Qualifying results​

Q1
  1. 1. Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:27.689
  2. 2. Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.083
  3. 3. Lando Norris McLaren +0.224
  4. 4. Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.248
  5. 5. Pierre Gasly Alpine +0.287
  6. 6. Oscar Piastri McLaren +0.343
  7. 7. Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.392
  8. 8. George Russell Mercedes +0.470
  9. 9. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.478
  10. 10. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.488
  11. 11. Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.520
  12. 12. Yuki Tsunoda RB +0.635
  13. 13. Alex Albon Williams +0.654
  14. 14. Nico Hulkenberg Haas +0.694
  15. 15. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.764
  16. 16. Valtteri Bottas Sauber +0.774
  17. 17. Logan Sargeant Williams +0.798
  18. 18. Daniel Ricciardo RB +0.928
  19. 19. Kevin Magnussen Haas +0.930
  20. 20. Zhou Guanyu Sauber +1.135
Q2
  • 1. Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:27.533
  • 2. Max Verstappen Red Bull +0.033
  • 3. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.164
  • 4. Oscar Piastri McLaren +0.188
  • 5. Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.306
  • 6. Lando Norris McLaren +0.338
  • 7. Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.408
  • 8. George Russell Mercedes +0.562
  • 9. Yuki Tsunoda RB +0.634
  • 10. Nico Hulkenberg Haas +0.667
  • 11. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.689
  • 12. Pierre Gasly Alpine +0.791
  • 13. Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.838
  • 14. Alex Albon Williams +0.880
  • 15. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.894
Q3
1. Max Verstappen

2. Charles Leclerc

3. Carlos Sainz

4. Sergio Perez

5. Lando Norris

6. Oscar Piastri

7. George Russell

8. Lewis Hamilton

9. Nico Hulkenberg

10. Yuki Tsunoda

Reactions: Ax^
Photos of the menus posted to social media by disgruntled fans showed the incredible prices of snacks. While a plate of nachos will set you back $180, an 'F1 platter' is even more expensive at $290. The F1 platter consists of 'secret sauce' on a ribeye quesadilla with crispy chicken, chipotle and mustard. For any fans wanting to splash out, caviar will cost $400. A water is $25 and a bucket of five beers is at least $45. Champagne? Anyone with the money can spend up to $3,600 on a bottle.

In 2023, steamed buns were $300 but are now only $120! Nachos have come down from $275 to a mere $180!

Photos of the menus posted to social media by disgruntled fans showed the incredible prices of snacks. While a plate of nachos will set you back $180, an 'F1 platter' is even more expensive at $290. The F1 platter consists of 'secret sauce' on a ribeye quesadilla with crispy chicken, chipotle and mustard. For any fans wanting to splash out, caviar will cost $400. A water is $25 and a bucket of five beers is at least $45. Champagne? Anyone with the money can spend up to $3,600 on a bottle.

In 2023, steamed buns were $300 but are now only $120! Nachos have come down from $275 to a mere $180!
I bitch that scotch eggs in my local pub are £3.90.

Back
Top Bottom