Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2024

Interesting rumour about the Horner drama
At the root of the turmoil is growing tension within Red Bull’s Austrian-based parent company following the death of founder Didi Mateschitz. His son, who now has a significant stake in the company, has shown a willingness to centralise decision-making in Salzburg, a move that Horner has resisted. This resistance is based on a belief in the decentralised management model that has underpinned Red Bull Racing’s success.

Horner’s defence of the team’s operational independence was particularly challenged during the negotiations with Porsche, highlighting a wider conflict with the Red Bull board’s desire for greater involvement in the day-to-day running of the team. This push for central control has led to internal suggestions that Horner’s role and substantial salary could be reassessed in favour of a more pliable figurehead. Oliver Mintzlaff, promoted by Mateschitz’s son and currently in charge of Red Bull’s F1 operations.

Word is that Horner was caught exploring a possible buyout of the F1 team, backed by a British financial consortium, a move that has provoked the ire of the Austrian faction of the company.

Is there really a Marko clause in Verstappen's contract?
Against the backdrop of this power struggle, the so-called ‘Marko clause’ has emerged, suggesting that Verstappen’s future at Red Bull is intertwined with Helmut Marko’s advisory role. Marko’s tight-lipped response to these rumours underlines the delicacy of the situation, emphasising the strong relationship between himself and Verstappen, but stopping short of addressing any departure scenarios.

2024 F1 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Qualifying Results
PosDriverNat.TeamQ1Q2Q3
1Max VerstappenNEDOracle Red Bull Racing1m28.171s1m28.033s1m27.472s
2Charles LeclercMONScuderia Ferrari1m28.318s1m28.112s1m27.791s
3Sergio PerezMEXOracle Red Bull Racing1m28.638s1m28.467s1m27.807s
4Fernando AlonsoESPAston Martin Aramco F1 Team1m28.706s1m28.122s1m27.846s
5Oscar PiastriAUSMcLaren F1 Team1m28.755s1m28.343s1m28.089s
6Lando NorrisGBRMcLaren F1 Team1m28.805s1m28.479s1m28.132s
7George RussellGBRMercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team1m28.749s1m28.448s1m28.316s
8Lewis HamiltonGBRMercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team1m28.994s1m28.606s1m28.460s
9Yuki TsunodaJPNVisa Cash App RB F1 Team1m28.988s1m28.564s1m28.547s
10Lance StrollCANAston Martin Aramco F1 Team1m28.250s1m28.578s1m28.572s
11Oliver BearmanGBRScuderia Ferrari1m28.984s1m28.642s
12Alex AlbonTHAWilliams Racing1m29.107s1m28.980s
13Kevin MagnussenDENMoneyGram Haas F1 Team1m29.069s1m29.020s
14Daniel RicciardoAUSVisa Cash App RB F1 Team1m29.065s1m29.025s
15Nico HulkenbergGERMoneyGram Haas F1 Team1m29.055sNo Time Set
16Valtteri BottasFINStake F1 Team Kick Sauber1m29.179s
17Esteban OconFRABWT Alpine F1 Team1m29.475s
18Pierre GaslyFRABWT Alpine F1 Team1m29.479s
19Logan SargeantUSAWilliams Racing1m29.526s
20Zhou GuanyuCHNStake F1 Team Kick SauberNo Time Set

Helmut Marko 'could be suspended' after Saudi Arabian GP​

Helmut Marko believes that there is a 'theoretical possibility' that he could be suspended by Red Bull ahead of the Australian Grand Prix later this month. The 80-year-old advisor has been a pivotal figure in Red Bull's success over the years, but his future with the team is now up in the air.

De Telegraaf journalist Erik van Haren took to the X social media platform during qualifying in Saudi Arabia to reveal the news. He explained that Marko had told Austrian broadcaster ORF that there was a 'theoretical possibility' that Red Bull could suspend him in the aftermath of Saturday's Grand Prix. Marko was unsure, therefore, whether he would be present in the paddock when the F1 grid heads to Melbourne for the Australian GP later in March.

Should the rumoured suspension lead to Marko's departure, this could have an impact on the future of star driver Max Verstappen. According to a reports, the Dutchman's presence at Red Bull is partially tied to that of the experienced advisor. As per the report, the close relationship between Verstappen and Marko means that if the Austrian departs, the reigning world champion would be able to activate an exit clause in his contract.

While the reasoning behind any potential suspension for Marko is unknown, it does come as a surprise. He clarified his long-term future ahead of the 2023 season, claiming that he was not going anywhere and committing to his Red Bull duties.

Adrian to Ferrari:D
Red Bull is a classic example of fucking up a 'machine' that works supremely well. Some people want more power or credit or influence, and they'l throw sand in the gears to achieve it. Frankly, Marko, Wifebeater, Max and Horner all deserve each other.

They seem to forget that Mr Newey is the key. Until he chooses to retire, or the FIA changes the technical rules to make aero less important, then Mr Newey gets what he wants or goes where he wants. If Max doesn't follow Mr Newey, his championship dominance ends.

I wonder if Mr Newey harbours a desire to design a Ferrari before he retires... If he does, I predict the tifosi will go insane with joy.

he talked in a pod cast a few months back about regretting never have work with Hamilton and has been linked to Maranello plenty of times in the past what is left for him to do with F1 aside from the red cars :D

Helmut Marko 'could be suspended' after Saudi Arabian GP​

Helmut Marko believes that there is a 'theoretical possibility' that he could be suspended by Red Bull ahead of the Australian Grand Prix later this month. The 80-year-old advisor has been a pivotal figure in Red Bull's success over the years, but his future with the team is now up in the air.

De Telegraaf journalist Erik van Haren took to the X social media platform during qualifying in Saudi Arabia to reveal the news. He explained that Marko had told Austrian broadcaster ORF that there was a 'theoretical possibility' that Red Bull could suspend him in the aftermath of Saturday's Grand Prix. Marko was unsure, therefore, whether he would be present in the paddock when the F1 grid heads to Melbourne for the Australian GP later in March.

Should the rumoured suspension lead to Marko's departure, this could have an impact on the future of star driver Max Verstappen. According to a reports, the Dutchman's presence at Red Bull is partially tied to that of the experienced advisor. As per the report, the close relationship between Verstappen and Marko means that if the Austrian departs, the reigning world champion would be able to activate an exit clause in his contract.

While the reasoning behind any potential suspension for Marko is unknown, it does come as a surprise. He clarified his long-term future ahead of the 2023 season, claiming that he was not going anywhere and committing to his Red Bull duties.

So someone has leaked to the media that he is under investigation for ... leaking things to the media. :oldthumbsup:

Motorsport.com has learned that Marko is subject to an investigation by Red Bull relating to various media leaks that have taken place since it emerged that Horner was being looked at by Red Bull's energy drinks company.

Is he even technically a Red Bull employee, didn't it come up the cost cap stuff that he takes no salary from them?

ETA
Ah, I see he is employed by Red Bull Gmbh in Austria and not by Red Bull Racing.

Last edited:
Adrian to Ferrari:D
Red Bull is a classic example of fucking up a 'machine' that works supremely well. Some people want more power or credit or influence, and they'l throw sand in the gears to achieve it. Frankly, Marko, Wifebeater, Max and Horner all deserve each other.

They seem to forget that Mr Newey is the key. Until he chooses to retire, or the FIA changes the technical rules to make aero less important, then Mr Newey gets what he wants or goes where he wants. If Max doesn't follow Mr Newey, his championship dominance ends.

I wonder if Mr Newey harbours a desire to design a Ferrari before he retires... If he does, I predict the tifosi will go insane with joy.
I mentioned this back in post 208. I think there is a good chance of Newey moving to Ferrari before he retires. He did recently sign a contract extension with Red Bull, while no time was given about the number of years, Marko is reported as claiming "it is long-term and he hopes to retire with Red Bull".

Why would Lewis move to Ferrari if it wasn't because Newey was going there?

Max Verstappen: Red Bull know Helmut Marko must stay if I am to​

Max Verstappen has doubled down on his stance that Helmut Marko “has to stay” at Red Bull if they want to him to stay, and says the team knows this. As Red Bull’s off-track troubles continued in Saudi Arabia, Verstappen’s pole position was eclipsed by news Marko is facing an internal investigation by Red Bull’s parent company in Salzburg, Red Bull GmbH.

Max Verstappen’s clear stance: He has to stay for me, for sure
Just over a week after Christian Horner was cleared of any wrongdoing after an investigation into his alleged behaviour, it’s Marko who is in the firing line. PlanetF1.com understands the investigation relates to the various leaks of information made to the media since the beginning of the Horner investigation, including the leaked email claiming to contain information relating to that. With rumours he could be suspended by Red Bull GmbH, the motorsport advisor told Austrian TV channel ORF: “I’ll put it this way, it’s difficult to judge, or let’s put it this way, ultimately, I’ll decide for myself what I do. The theoretical possibility always exists. I think it’s such a complex issue. Again, we want peace in the team. This world championship will be difficult enough with 24 races and we have to concentrate on that.”

However, any action against Marko could have huge consequences for Red Bull with triple World Champion Verstappen, who has been linked to Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes seat in the midst of the Red Bull squabble, saying Marko “has to stay”. “Helmut and I, we have a lot of respect for each other,” he told Sky Sports. “My loyalty in general to Red Bull, but also to him, after all for what he has done for me goes very far. I’ve always said, especially after Dietrich’s passing, with everyone in the team, that I find it really important that we keep the key team together because that’s how we have performed really well and that’s how we will perform really well in the future. They know that. For me, Helmut is a very key factor in that and he has to stay for me, for sure.” Pressed on if Marko needs to stay to guarantee he’ll see out his own Red Bull contract, Verstappen said: “I’ve always said that to the team, they know that.”

Marko leaving could be that something ‘crazy’ for Verstappen
But questioned about his future in the build-up to the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, Verstappen said it would take something “really crazy” for him to leave his championship-winning team. Asked whether the Marko situation could be that crazy, he replied: “That’s quite an understatement if that happens. That’s crazy. Let’s see what happens. We’ll see if something happens next week.” He added: “He has built this team from the ground up with Dietrich’s blessing and I think he’s always kept a good relationship with a lot of people in the team and backed the important people and in crucial moments as well. He’s definitely a key member now for the future.”

Marko is expected to meet with Red Bull GmbH chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff on Saturday to discuss his future.

Jos Verstappen continues war of words against Christian Horner with future prediction​

Jos Verstappen has doubled down on his claim that it would be “bad” if Christian Horner stayed on as Red Bull’s team boss, but he expects he will “for the rest of the season”. Although the Horner investigation was dismissed last week after a lengthy internal examination into his alleged behaviour, ten days later F1 headlines don’t make for happy reading at Red Bull.

Jos Verstappen believes Christian Horner will stay on, for now

Horner continues to be grilled about the investigation, especially after an email was leaked that claimed to continue information relating to the investigation, while on Friday night in Saudi Arabia, Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko admitted a “theoretical possibility exists” that he could be suspended. An internal investigation is underway at Red Bull GmbH – of whom Marko is an employee and not of Red Bull Racing – due to the various leaks of information made to the media since the beginning of the separate internal investigation into Christian Horner.

This includes an investigation into the email leak of alleged information that was sent last week to hundreds of senior F1 personnel, including the media, which set out to humiliate Horner – coming just 24 hours after Red Bull GmbH ended their investigation into the F1 team boss. And in the midst of all Verstappen Snr continues to call for Horner to step down, statements that have cast doubt on his son’s future with the Milton Keynes squad. Verstappen Snr doubled down on his claims that it would be “bad” for Red Bull if Horner stayed on as team principal. He, however, reckons the Briton will see out the year with the team.

“All these things that are going on are having an influence on Max,” he told the Daily Mail ahead of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. Pointing out his son’s performances in Jeddah where Max claimed pole position, he added: “All we hear about is Horner and what happened with his situation. In the press conference Horner gave the other day it was all about him and his problems when we should be talking about Max, the car, his performance and the race. I’ve already said I think it is causing problems if he stays. I think it’s too late for Christian to say ‘leave me alone’ but he has the support of the Thai owner so I think he will stay for the rest of the season. I said it would bad if he stayed, it really isn’t good for the team, this whole situation.”

Jos Verstappen: ‘Too late’ to draw a line
Asked if it was time to ‘draw a line’ under the situation as Horner called for in Thursday’s press conference, Verstappen Snr replied: “I think it’s a bit too late for that now. If that’s what he wants, fine, but I don’t think it will be possible. I don’t want to talk too much more as it will create problems. But the most important thing for me is that Max is happy, that’s what counts for me, I just want him to be happy.”

As for the woman who lodged the grievance against Horner, she has subsequently been suspended by Red Bull. Asked for his thoughts on that, Verstappen Snr replied: “I sympathise with the woman, with all that she went through, but we will see what happens. Red Bull seem to know what they are doing with her, we will see. But I think it is for her to come out and see what happens. I’m not fully up to speed with what is happening with her.”

[So it seems Marko and Jos are on the same team, also the Austrian faction of Red Bull. I wonder who else are onside?]

D’Ambrosio set to leave Mercedes and move to Ferrari​

Jerome D’Ambrosio, a key figure within the Mercedes team and one close to team boss Toto Wolff, will reportedly join Ferrari at the end of the 2024 F1 season. The Belgian, who raced full-time in F1 in 2011 with Marussia and who later managed Venturi’s efforts in Formula E under the guidance of Suzy Wolff, has been a fixture in the Mercedes garage since last season. As a key lieutenant of Wolff, D’Ambrosio was entrusted in 2023 with the team’s management at the Japanese and Qatar Grands Prix from which the Austrian was absent after undergoing a knee surgery.

Last year, D’Ambrosio was officially put in charge of Mercedes’ driver development programme, working alongside Gwen Lagrue to nurture young racing talent. However, many saw him as a potential long-term leader, with Wolff himself hinting at D'Ambrosio taking on greater responsibility in the future. But the 38-year-old has apparently opted for a fresh challenge at Ferrari. There, he is expected to take charge of the Scuderia's young driver program, the Ferrari Driver Academy currently led by Jock Clear.

The move would likely be welcomed by Clear whose responsibilities at Ferrari also extend to demanding trackside duties. D'Ambrosio's arrival at Ferrari will coincide with Lewis Hamilton's previously announced move to the Italian team. While not directly linked, the former driver’s presence might offer some trusted familiarity to the seven-time F1 world champion in his new environment. Whether D'Ambrosio becomes a key figure in Ferrari's long-term management strategy remains to be seen. But the switch raises once again questions about Mercedes' future leadership and indicates Ferrari's focus on fostering young talent.

Limejuice
You'll be happy to hear Mel B says she and the other members of the Spice Girls, Mel C, Victoria Beckham, Emma Bunton, have been messaging band mate Geri Horner amid a text scandal involving her husband Christian Horner ;):facepalm::thumbs:

Limejuice
You'll be happy to hear Mel B says she and the other members of the Spice Girls, Mel C, Victoria Beckham, Emma Bunton, have been messaging band mate Geri Horner amid a text scandal involving her husband Christian Horner ;):facepalm::thumbs:
Spice Grills?

Is that like a Forman Grill?

:p

Did Bearman speed in the pitlane getting out infront of the Haas?

edit; I guess not

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom