Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Excellent railway maps website

teuchter

je suis teuchter
I just stumbled across this:

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/index.html

If you like trains and maps you'll love this site. All sorts of stuff...

Entire UK network showing franchises: http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Resources/TOCs 22.2b Dec 2009.pdf

SE England Accessibility map:
http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/SE Disabilty Map Dec 2005.pdf

Proposed/under construction lines:
http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Resources/Rail map REOP5 15.8.pdf

Superimposed on political constituencies
iapoliticalmap.jpeg

HS2 and population centres:
hs2maprm209.jpeg

An alternative LU map
Urban%20Rail%20LU%20map.gif

Railteam:
railteam10.jpeg

East Coast mainline showing traffic levels:
eclhdstruk508.jpeg

And loads more.

There are a couple I will be tempted to print off at A2 on the office plotter this evening after everyone's gone home...

Interesting stuff. :cool:

There are several old railway maps on this site, including a maps of the full British railway network from 1961 and 1969. The contrast between the two is startling.

There's also the excellent Adlestrop railway atlas, showing current and closed lines on a huge pdf map. However, so far it doesn't cover north-west England or Scotland, and it hasn't been updated for over a year.

It's sad though :( Especially when you see a really useful dead route, go to look at it on google maps and find 'Station Approach Road' has got a whole load of new semi detached houses on it in a nice neat curved line :(

It's sad though :( Especially when you see a really useful dead route, go to look at it on google maps and find 'Station Approach Road' has got a whole load of new semi detached houses on it in a nice neat curved line :(

There's a slightly bizzare example of this at Crystal Palace; a bunch of houses looking a bit out of place sat in the old railway cutting to the northwest of the park.

Interesting stuff. :cool:

There are several old railway maps on this site, including a maps of the full British railway network from 1961 and 1969. The contrast between the two is startling.

There's also the excellent Adlestrop railway atlas, showing current and closed lines on a huge pdf map. However, so far it doesn't cover north-west England or Scotland, and it hasn't been updated for over a year.
*Pleased to have contributed an edit to the map!

Tweeter has pointed me at what seems to be a new one - Rail Map Online

You can select quite what to show, but includes current and historic lines, including industrial, narrow gauge and tram lines

e.g. this chunk round Woolwich, showing (among others) lines in the docks, Beckton gas works, and the Arsenal

1609099946575.png

there's a canals map as well

:)

That one’s been around a few years, the guy behind it is really dedicated and constantly updating and improving it. You used to be able to have the NLS historic mapping imagery as a layer but they changed the rules on sharing that one unfortunately.

There is a Facebook page where they detail latest updates etc., I’ve submitted a few bits of info that they’ve used (including military stuff not on normal maps such as ROF Featherstone that I came across I my old job).

It is crazy how much track there was around places like east London, or other docklands and heavily industrialised towns (Burton on Trent is particularly busy

It is crazy how much track there was around places like east London, or other docklands and heavily industrialised towns (Burton on Trent is particularly busy
It's even crazier in the Welsh Valleys where tiny villages would end up with three separate stations and the Cardiff Docks were awash with lines!

1609190081085.png

1609190168358.png

That's a brilliant website.

Just south of Bramley on the Reading-Basingstoke line, there's a little area of woodland and small fields that I've long been curious about, having passed it commuting thousands of times. Occasionally you spot squaddies running around as the train passes, and there's a few old buildings.
Anyway, I had a quick look at that map and spotted multiple sidings there, that have now gone. Turns out it used to be a dirty great MOD ammunition depot, served by trains.

The lines were still there as late as 1987, so I must have been passed it a few times when the tracks were still there.

Thanks Puddy_Tat !

Just south of Bramley on the Reading-Basingstoke line, there's a little area of woodland and small fields that I've long been curious about, having passed it commuting thousands of times. Occasionally you spot squaddies running around as the train passes, and there's a few old buildings.
Anyway, I had a quick look at that map and spotted multiple sidings there, that have now gone. Turns out it used to be a dirty great MOD ammunition depot, served by trains.

Think I knew the basics of that - I did got and look at a flat round there when I was home hunting some years back and worked south of Reading

I had n
Think I knew the basics of that - I did got and look at a flat round there when I was home hunting some years back and worked south of Reading
I had no idea and often wondered why on earth the MOD had a training site with a major train line running through the middle!

It'll be housing soon - Basingstoke and Bramley are gradually working their way closer to one another. My guess is the MOD are just waiting for land prices to rise a bit more before selling.

This was the picture I sent them of a map of an ROC depot at Featherstone, I did a few visits there during some demolition works in 2008, this map is about 3m tall on a large bit of nicely varnished wood, the contractors found it tucked away in a boiler house, it ended up getting donated to a local museum. None of the sidings were shown on OS maps, it was still used as a munitions depot until quite recently although the rail part not used for a long time.

I’m still looking for details of the national shipyard at Portbury near where I grew up. This was built at the end of WW1 but never completed, it had a rail connection to the GWR Portishead branch with sidings, but nothing was ever shown on maps, all I can find are some aerial images with some of it barely visible in the background. There’s no remains as the whole area has been redeveloped, no indication of the line in. There’s probably some details in the national archives at Kew, I had to go there and research some military stuff for work once and found some interesting plans of other sites (including some rail connected ones absent from mapping).

I'm not a railways buff, but this is a great map tool. I'm just finding it a bit slow for casual exploring.

Is it just me?

think it may depend how many layers you have switched on at any time

This was the picture I sent them of a map of an ROC depot at Featherstone,

and of course a lot of the stuff on MoD (and predecessors) sites isn't on old OS maps - in woolwich / plumstead, most of the north side of the main road was Arsenal (the military installation not the football club) and was just shown as blank space.

for that matter, wasn't the post office tower (or whatever it's called now) left off maps until fairly recently as it was a key bit of state communications infrastructure?

Tweeter has pointed me at what seems to be a new one - Rail Map Online

You can select quite what to show, but includes current and historic lines, including industrial, narrow gauge and tram lines

e.g. this chunk round Woolwich, showing (among others) lines in the docks, Beckton gas works, and the Arsenal

View attachment 245729

there's a canals map as well

It's brilliant, isn't it, that site. :cool: A couple of screenshots from South Yorkshire, then and now...

01.jpg 02.jpg

Yeah, I remember that. It was a secret. 🤣

Part of my old job (contaminated land investigation) involved checking the history of sites using old map records. At one time you‘d go down the local library and photocopy plans from the local history section, before companies started offering map packs for specific areas at a price that made it worthwhile.

One dataset they used to provide us with was digitised soviet maps from the 70s and 80s, which were useful because they’d show some of the secret military stuff not available on domestic mapping. There was some tale about how these maps were originally obtained, I think taken from some ransacked building after the fall of communism.

an example map here:

(from a site that sells prints of them)

One dataset they used to provide us with was digitised soviet maps from the 70s and 80s, which were useful because they’d show some of the secret military stuff not available on domestic mapping. There was some tale about how these maps were originally obtained, I think taken from some ransacked building after the fall of communism.

old maps also has 1980s russian maps although not at great resolution

Back
Top Bottom