Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once

Heard several people be emphatically enthusiastic about this film, maybe I should get to see it on a big screen if I can.

Heard several people be emphatically enthusiastic about this film, maybe I should get to see it on a big screen if I can.

If you don’t see it on the biggest screen you can, with the best sound setup possible, then you will see it eventually, and it will be amazing, but you will wish you saw it for the first time properly.

Been racking my brains over whether I’ve seen a better film… ever. That sounds stupidly overblown, I know. I’m sure it’s not actually the best film ever.

That would be really improbable.

<licks an envelope 4 times and calls M&S Customer Services>*

* - that will make sense once you’ve seen it

… is the name of a film I’ve just seen at the cinema.

Long story short - do go see it on the biggest screen you can find with the best possible sound setup.

It’s an absolute joy.
I thought it was quite interesting but far too long and self-indulgent. Could've lost a good 40 to 50 minutes and would've been much better for it.

I thought it was quite interesting but far too long and self-indulgent. Could've lost a good 40 to 50 minutes and would've been much better for it.

Ok, a dissenting opinion…

Maybe makes sense that it won’t be for everyone because I felt like when I first watched the series of Spaced and it was like the universe had somehow made something just for me that was absolutely perfect.

I didn’t want it to end.

Just watching a review now and the budget was a fraction of what I thought it was (the Doctor Strange film cost 8 times as much!), and I paid a teeniest fraction of that to see it, so even if everyone else hates it I’m putting it down as a lovely birthday present from the universe. 🥰

Edit: interested to think which bits you think should have been cut

Last edited:
Yeah, I've heard good things from people who have seen this. May try to get to the cinema for it.

Regarding whether it's the best film you've ever seen, wait at least until tomorrow before deciding, and possibly next week. ;)

Yeah, I've heard good things from people who have seen this. May try to get to the cinema for it.

Regarding whether it's the best film you've ever seen, wait at least until tomorrow before deciding, and possibly next week. ;)

Good advice. Ridiculously hyperbolic nonsense, but I still have a big smile just thinking about it.

Other films that have made me feel similar about cinema:

Intacto
Sleeper
The Big Lebowski
Fight Club
Alien
The Matrix
Herbie Goes Bananas*
Being John Malkovich

But anyway, given the shite they’ve been coming out with recently, it’s def worth a go to anyone.

* - I was young tbf

Last edited:
I saw this last week. It was ok but I was starting to wonder if it was ever going to end at one point. My son has now seen it 3 times and thinks it is amazing. I really don’t see what is so great about it. 🤷‍♀️

I much preferred Sing 2 which I had watched the previous evening. 🤣

I saw this last week. It was ok but I was starting to wonder if it was ever going to end at one point. My son has now seen it 3 times and thinks it is amazing. I really don’t see what is so great about it. 🤷‍♀️

I much preferred Sing 2 which I had watched the previous evening. 🤣
Yeah, when they put up the Part 2 thing, I was like 'how many parts are there and how loooong are they?' :eek:

Just got back from cinema. It's a bloody good fun and weird trip. I didn't quite feel the feels like it wanted me to but I had a great time watching it. Definitely a touch too long but I think that about nearly every film now because every film seems to be 2 hours long at the very least these days.

It was fantastic. As someone who has seen a Chinese mother/daughter, first/second generation immigrant relationship up close, it hit the emotional notes in all the right places.

Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu were absolutely brilliant, and I loved the father, played by Ke Huy Kuan of Indiana Jones fame.

It was long, but I thought the sheer depth and texture of it as a whole was an absolute joy. I liked what I read in Mark Kermode's review about it:

For Everything Everywhere All At Once they reportedly took inspiration from the Japanese artist Ikeda Manabu, whose work (“so intricate, so detailed, so dense”) can seem chaotic in closeup yet somehow clear from a distance. The same is true of this movie, which delights in sending its protagonist into a baffling array of increasingly absurd worlds (in one, people have hotdogs for fingers) while retaining recognisable overarching structures.

My Chinese wife was in tears a couple of times as we watched this, and they really nailed the emotional heart of it, alongside a great sci-fi story.

It's on Prime now, if anyone was waiting.
It's quite something alright. Moving and spectacular and hilarious and ridiculous.
One of those high-concept movies that swings for the fences and not only succeeds, but carries on over the line and doesn't stumble. Enough creativity for a dozen movies, all crammed into one. And somehow doesn't suffer for it.

I thought this movie was as close to perfect as you can actually get. So many things about it shouldn’t work, should feel corny, but don’t. The main 3/4 characters all put in at least a few turns, and the main couple half-a-dozen each. For all it’s flashy action sci-fi energy it’s essentially a story about good people who have forgotten that they love each other.

I hope it sweeps-up at the Oscars, so difficult to call between Michelle Yeoh and Cate Blanchett for Best Actress.

Also, James Hong is so fucking funny in this movie :D really pmsl

It was alright. Mrsjontz enjoyed it. Some silly bits. I got bored but then I do have a short attention span. A lot to process.

I agree with those who've noted that there's a love story at the crux of it, not just romantic but also family. It's quite poignant. I loved the sci-fi elements. And it was also very funny.

I watched it at home, which I was glad about in one way, some scenes were so 'wtf happened there?' that I rewound bits to try and figure out what was going on, and I know I would've been a bit frustrated had I watched it for the first time on a big screen without the ability to rewind bits.

But then again, I really want to watch it on a big screen.

I hope it wins loads of Oscars and gets shown in cinemas near me again.

I think it's one of my favourite movies ever, it's right up there.

Is there a lot of subtitles?

It's finally been released and normally the English speaking films get both a dub and subtitle showing, which is great but if its mostly in Cantonese/Mandarin might be a bit lost.

Is there a lot of subtitles?

It's finally been released and normally the English speaking films get both a dub and subtitle showing, which is great but if its mostly in Cantonese/Mandarin might be a bit lost.
There's only a small bit in Mandarin & Cantonese.

The film a good but overhyped. Everyone was raving about it, so I was a bit disappointed.

Even so the film passed quickly. Much had already been done in the Matrix though.

Still unsure of the significance of that particular timeline? 8/10

I saw this at the cinema last year and liked it a lot except the ending, which felt disappointingly platitudinous for what had gone before.

The film a good but overhyped. Everyone was raving about it, so I was a bit disappointed.

Even so the film passed quickly. Much had already been done in the Matrix though.

Great, thanks, hopefully be able to follow it!

Watched it recently with Mrs Voltz on Netflix (?)

Couldn't end fast enough for me. Not really my cup of tea.

I’m sorry but the whole character arc of Raymond happens in Mandarin, and the film wouldn’t be the same without understanding his motivation for being the way he is.

Watched it recently with Mrs Voltz on Netflix (?)

Couldn't end fast enough for me. Not really my cup of tea.

I think a lot of people might struggle with these super-nerd film-school types of movies. Fair enough I guess. Though having said that beyond the call-backs and easter-eggs lies a deeply serious, and very moving piece of art that deconstructs a lot of the stereotypes surrounding Asian people in Hollywood and the US, gender roles, and the modern family.

I’d implore anyone who saw it but wasn’t into it to give it another try and attempt to see it again with a open mind :)

Great film, I imagine I’ll watch it several times. Deffo recommend it to people. But probably won’t make it to my top 10.
In the same fashion as dating websites use clever algorithms tailored to your personality to find you the most compatible partner possible, there should be a film review service that recommends you films based on your personal tastes, irrespective of professional critics’ opinions.

Maybe I should go to Dragons’ Den with the idea for the lulz :hmm:

In the same fashion as dating websites use clever algorithms tailored to your personality to find you the most compatible partner possible, there should be a film review service that recommends you films based on your personal tastes, irrespective of professional critics’ opinions.
It already exists and is recommending you films as soon as you log onto your streaming service.

It already exists and is recommending you films as soon as you log onto your streaming service.
Yes to a degree yes, but that only covers those films or series that are already in your streaming service(s)’ catalogue.

Back
Top Bottom