Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Enfield Town v Hamlet, Sat 16 Dec 2023

Bugpowder Dust

We are away again on Saturday, I have been once before but can't really remember anything about it.

Looking at the railway map it's virtually the same trip as Haringay and Cheshunt, with lots of options, none of which are particularly fast from Dulwich or Peckham.

Any pubs worth visiting near the ground or on the route?

Train route is Overground from Liverpool Street to either Enfield Town or Southbury, which also connects with Victoria Line Undergound at Seven Sisters. The line divides after that with one branch terminating at Enfield Town and the other continuing to Cheshunt via Southbury. Each station is around 1 mile from the ground, so it makes little difference which you use in terms of walking. The area around Southbury is a pub desert, all light industrial and big drive-to retail sheds, then you're walking up the A10 to the ground. Enfield Town is unsurprisingly in the town centre, with a couple of pubs nearby that I don't think I've visited this century, then you're walking through residential streets to reach the ground.

My favourite pub for this trip is the Little Green Dragon, a micropub near Winchmore Hill Station on the Great Northern Line out of Moorgate via Finsbury Park, but it doesn't open until 2pm so no use as a pre-match option. It's well over 1 mile south of Enfield Town Station but bus 329 from there stops outside, then it's less than a half mile walk to Winchmore Hill Station for the journey home.

Cant find a pub anywhere near that looks worthy of a detour. Might even drive to this.

At least with trains running from both Liverpool St (to Enfield Town) and Moorgate (to Enfield Chase) there are options should either be hit by cancellations/delays.

Train route is Overground from Liverpool Street to either Enfield Town or Southbury, which also connects with Victoria Line Undergound at Seven Sisters. The line divides after that with one branch terminating at Enfield Town and the other continuing to Cheshunt via Southbury. Each station is around 1 mile from the ground, so it makes little difference which you use in terms of walking. The area around Southbury is a pub desert, all light industrial and big drive-to retail sheds, then you're walking up the A10 to the ground. Enfield Town is unsurprisingly in the town centre, with a couple of pubs nearby that I don't think I've visited this century, then you're walking through residential streets to reach the ground.

My favourite pub for this trip is the Little Green Dragon, a micropub near Winchmore Hill Station on the Great Northern Line out of Moorgate via Finsbury Park, but it doesn't open until 2pm so no use as a pre-match option. It's well over 1 mile south of Enfield Town Station but bus 329 from there stops outside, then it's less than a half mile walk to Winchmore Hill Station for the journey home.
Haven't visited this side of the pandemic but the Little Green Dragon is a treat, a lovely quirky little place.

My mum volunteers on the turnstile at Enfield*, so you all be nice when you buy your tickets, y'hear! :mad:

*unless Spurs are playing at home, in which case she's at the Lane :hmm:
They're not at home. I always check for Premier and Football League fixtures that might cause overcrowding on my journey, so I can take a different route if possible, and there's nothing on Saturday.

They're not at home. I always check for Premier and Football League fixtures that might cause overcrowding on my journey, so I can take a different route if possible, and there's nothing on Saturday.
Yeah, I was being lazy not checking the fixtures before posting, tbh, but did afterwards :oops:

So, yeah, anyway, I presume she'll be at the QE, then :D

Spurs women are at home playing Arsenal on Saturday, midday kickoff

Tickets just £15 for that one, might make an interesting double header.
I'm half tempted for the ground tick. White Hart Lane Station is around 10 minutes walk from the ground and on the line to Southbury/Enfield Town. The train I'm intending to catch (to Enfield Town) calls at WHL at 1358, which I doubt you'll make without leaving before the final whistle. The next one (to Southbury) is 15 minutes later but I don't know what the crowd numbers and congestion will be like. Anything later than that is cutting it a fine for the Hamlet game.

We struggle to defend a lead with eleven men, so unsurprisingly we failed when a man short. I'm feeling pretty grumpy after that. A needless second yellow card for Okpolokpo, but the Enfield player who conceded the penalty was let off with a yellow when he should clearly have got a straight red for throwing out an arm to smack Mills in the face when he was poised to shoot. The referee also missed the linesman put his flag up for offside before the equaliser. There was no advantage in allowing us to clear the ball for a throw, then Enfield built the goal directly from that restart.

Hinged on two sendings off. Enfield player should’ve gone for the elbow to Mills’ face. Then two soft yellows for Okpolokpo. Ceded midfield as Kras filled in at the back and Hak Jr looked a bit at sea. You could feel it slipping away. Unlucky.

We struggle to defend a lead with eleven men, so unsurprisingly we failed when a man short. I'm feeling pretty grumpy after that. A needless second yellow card for Okpolokpo, but the Enfield player who conceded the penalty was let off with a yellow when he should clearly have got a straight red for throwing out an arm to smack Mills in the face when he was poised to shoot. The referee also missed the linesman put his flag up for offside before the equaliser. There was no advantage in allowing us to clear the ball for a throw, then Enfield built the goal directly from that restart.
Isn’t there a double jeopardy thing where you can’t give a red and a pen? Or does that not apply in the case of violent conduct…?

[Odd situation in a Dortmund game a couple of weeks back when Hummels initially was given yellow for a foul on the last man in tye box, for which a penalty was awarded. But then VAR said it was outside the box (it wasn’t) so it was a free kick and a red.]

Isn’t there a double jeopardy thing where you can’t give a red and a pen? Or does that not apply in the case of violent conduct…?

[Odd situation in a Dortmund game a couple of weeks back when Hummels initially was given yellow for a foul on the last man in tye box, for which a penalty was awarded. But then VAR said it was outside the box (it wasn’t) so it was a free kick and a red.]
That only applies to a goalkeeper making an attempt to play the ball. The Mills one is a massive error and their penalty hits Ricketts on the back. Other than those and the harsh sending off the ref had an all round awful game.

That only applies to a goalkeeper making an attempt to play the ball. The Mills one is a massive error and their penalty hits Ricketts on the back. Other than those and the harsh sending off the ref had an all round awful game.

Thank you. I therefore really don’t understand why the defender yellow became red once the penalty was overturned. But that’s one for the German FA not this forum!

What a surprise… I can’t remember a decent refereeing performance in 2-3 yrs. they’re mostly inept

Thank you. I therefore really don’t understand why the defender yellow became red once the penalty was overturned. But that’s one for the German FA not this forum!
My impression was that it's a yellow if you make a mistimed attempt to play the ball and bring down the man, as opposed to bringing down the man with no attempt to play the ball. I assumed that applied to any defender, not just the goalkeeper, but maybe it's as Liam describes. In this instance Mills had already beaten the defender with a great touch and their man just threw an arm across his face and smacked him in the mouth as he was poised to shoot from right in front of goal. It was enough to knock him down and he needed fairly lengthy treatment while Wanadio had to wait 2 or 3 minutes to take the kick. He made no attempt whatsoever to play the ball, so it was essentially violent conduct as well as denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity.

After we'd had a penalty the home crowd behind the goal was repeatedly shouting for penalties every time there was a challenge inside the box, or a defender blocked the ball with his body, and eventually the referee gave one. It just looked like a shot fired straight at the defender's body to me, although I was too far away to be certain.

The linesman failing to keep his flag up for offside as we cleared the ball before the equaliser was also crucial. (I think he just put it down before the referee saw it, rather than the referee waving play on.)

I thought Hansson for Shonibare at half time was a slightly strange substitution when Ayuk was also on the bench, and I'd have been tempted to replace him with Bonnett-Johnson after the red card, which would have been harsh but perhaps more effective in the circumstances.

The highlight was a great goal from Mills, brushing off his marker just inside the left corner of the box and shooting inside the far post from 15 yards.

Considering the number of tight matches this season, I felt all the points dropped in the games I've seen were down to our own shortcomings. This is the first time I've really felt we might have got a better result with a different referee.

I didn't think either of Okpolokpo's cards looked especially unfair, although I was 80 yards away for the first and my view was partially obscured for the second. He'll now be suspended for Boxing Day. Right back seems to have become a persistent problem, with first Ming, then Scarlett apparently discarded for good. I'm not sure what's happened to Pascal, who I thought generally did his job without looking out of the ordinary or offering much in the attacking half.

As for Hummels and the Bundesliga, maybe the referee simply didn't regard it as a clear goalscoring opportunity before the review?

Believe the so-called “Double Jeopardy” rule of Law 12 doesn’t specify goalkeepers but applies to all players. It places the emphasis on the referee to determine whether, in the case of a DOGSO offence, the offence was an genuine attempt to play the ball.

I believe you are correct Paula. Last time I checked IRB amendments to Rule 12 stated any penalty area offence deemed a genuine attempt to play the ball is a yellow if a penalty is awarded. The position of the player is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom