Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Energy problem solved!!!???!!!

it's not either or, lots of coast where tidal barrages aren't suitable.

Personally I expect to see some of the north sea rigs end up being reused as energy hubs with massive floating wind and wave farms fanning out for miles around them.
As mentioned, wave farms? susceptible to storms, corrosion, difficulty in maintenance ect, though using decommissioned rigs as wind farms,PV platforms certainly has a lot of mileage I would have thought?

As mentioned, wave farms? susceptible to storms, corrosion, difficulty in maintenance ect, though using decommissioned rigs as wind farms,PV platforms certainly has a lot of mileage I would have thought?
oh ay, there are serious issues to overcome with wave power, but we've barely attempted it yet, and tbh I'm still fairly convinced that salters duck design would have worked well enough had it ever actually been given the funding to be developed properly. It certainly doesn't suffer from the same issue as pelamis.

There's also sea bed anchored units that just have a float on the waves pulling a piston in and out below the surface as the float rises and falls, or numerous other possibilities.

The problem's been there's barely been any funding at all for the research since the pug got pulled on Salter by the big boys in nuclear / coal.

oh ay, there are serious issues to overcome with wave power, but we've barely attempted it yet, and tbh I'm still fairly convinced that salters duck design would have worked well enough had it ever actually been given the funding to be developed properly. It certainly doesn't suffer from the same issue as pelamis.

There's also sea bed anchored units that just have a float on the waves pulling a piston in and out below the surface as the float rises and falls, or numerous other possibilities.

The problem's been there's barely been any funding at all for the research since the pug got pulled on Salter by the big boys in nuclear / coal.

Agreed but if people move ahead with what's commercially proven, PV, tidal barrage/ underwater turbines, hydro and the storage facilities mentioned elsewhere on here,then we can possibly get people to to see that fossil fuels are just that, fossils.
We need to get away from the concept of alternative/speculative views, I personally have been taken aback with the strides being accomplished in theses areas in just a few years, I, like many others thought "whey me sons and grandbairns" might see it, but it's on the cusp and I want to see it,or at least the start of its fulfilment.
To see renewables put on the back burner while huge tax breaks are given to fracking is an obscene joke.

Agreed but if people move ahead with what's commercially proven, PV, tidal barrage/ underwater turbines, hydro and the storage facilities mentioned elsewhere on here,then we can possibly get people to to see that fossil fuels are just that, fossils.
We need to get away from the concept of alternative/speculative views, I personally have been taken aback with the strides being accomplished in theses areas in just a few years, I, like many others thought "whey me sons and grandbairns" might see it, but it's on the cusp and I want to see it,or at least the start of its fulfilment.
To see renewables put on the back burner while huge tax breaks are given to fracking is an obscene joke.
here's the thing though, Wind, PV, Nuclear, are all relatively mature technologies in which the UK has almost zero UK owned manufacturing capacity, and probably never will now, we've missed those boats in manufacturing terms.

The UK's engineering skills base, and manufacturing base is however perfectly suited to developing world beating manufacturing capacity in the undeveloped resources of wave, tidal, tidal stream and potentially thorium molten salt reactors. We have some of the world's biggest tidal and wave resources and could lead the world in these technologies IF we invested in developing them and the manufacturing base to manufacture them.

Not that we will, because our governments don't believe in such stupid ideas as us actually being world leaders in a globally revolutionary technology, they prefer to leave that sort of thing to the chinese, then buy it back off them.

Fucking disgrace that the UK government chose a french and chinese built and owned nuclear plant over a UK owned and built severn barrage which rolls royce had spent millions developing the turbines for already.

also, we need all the renewables to really make this transition work. Wave power is a good complement to wind as it tends to lag behind wind

here's the thing though, Wind, PV, Nuclear, are all relatively mature technologies in which the UK has almost zero UK owned manufacturing capacity, and probably never will now, we've missed those boats in manufacturing terms.

The UK's engineering skills base, and manufacturing base is however perfectly suited to developing world beating manufacturing capacity in the undeveloped resources of wave, tidal, tidal stream and potentially thorium molten salt reactors. We have some of the world's biggest tidal and wave resources and could lead the world in these technologies IF we invested in developing them and the manufacturing base to manufacture them.

Not that we will, because our governments don't believe in such stupid ideas as us actually being world leaders in a globally revolutionary technology, they prefer to leave that sort of thing to the chinese, then buy it back off them.

Fucking disgrace that the UK government chose a french and chinese built and owned nuclear plant over a UK owned and built severn barrage which rolls royce had spent millions developing the turbines for already.

I have no doubt the government will invest in these areas( using taxpayers money) and once they are commercially viable flog them to their friends in the city, we lead the world in " the financial and banking sector" doncha know.
Christ on a crutch, reality is so depressing.

do you mean pelermis going bust?

From what I heard their design was fundamentally flawed due to being completely incapable of coping with freak waves above a certain size / frequency. Something like that anyway.

Or is there something more positive going on?
Pelamis are now up for sale.

Aquamarine Power have announced downsizing/restructuring from 50 down to 20.

And Siemens have announced they are putting their subsidiary Marine Current Turbines up for sale as well (although that one wasn't entirely a surprise as Siemens have been divesting non-core businesses for a while now).

Basically the key players in the wave and tidal sectors are in a state of flux, which could have implications for both industries.

There's no doubt that wave and tidal resources around the UK could provide a lot of energy for the country, but there is a way to go before we get to that point. There was a study done a few years ago on the different types of technology used in wave and tidal power devices and the outcome of the study was that the industry was going to have to go through a period of rationalisation as over 100 different devices were under development. It may be that the point where rationalisation starts is here.

Going back to the Pelamis Sea Snake device, as it made up of sections linked together by hinges, there will be a limit as to how far they can flex without breaking:

wave_power_pelamis.gif

Going back to the Pelamis Sea Snake device, as it made up of sections linked together by hinges, there will be a limit as to how far they can flex without breaking:

wave_power_pelamis.gif
yep, and it was this that was it's fatal flaw, as it turned out there were waves out there that were of a size and frequency that would basically break Pelamis back.

Though I've forgotten now who I was discussing this with.

yep, and it was this that was it's fatal flaw, as it turned out there were waves out there that were of a size and frequency that would basically break Pelamis back.

Though I've forgotten now who I was discussing this with.
They also do power take off underwater - the Oyster device from Aquamarine does it onshore iirc

Results are in for the Dutch solar cyclepath.
Approx 50 percent of the return per square metre as nearby rooftop installations.
(50 KWH per M2 per year versus 100 for rooftop)

Last edited:
That'd be year 1 results presumably, and I'd expect output to degrade rapidly over time as it get's dirtier, scratched etc

ps for reference a flat solar pv system would be expected to produce 85% of the generation of a perfect south facing sloped system.

Here's the Korean take on a solar roadway mentioned at the end of that video.:-

It looks suspiciously like a simulation. :hmm:

The solar road in the Netherlands is working even better than expected

6 Months Later, Here's What's Happened to the Netherlands' Solar Bike Paths

Oh, well...

Here, have fun: MIT nuclear fusion record marks latest step towards unlimited clean energy

MIT nuclear fusion record marks latest step towards unlimited clean energy

Scientists create the highest plasma pressure ever recorded with the Alcator C-Mod reactor in a breakthrough for clean energy technology
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...est-step-towards-unlimited-clean-energy#img-1
The interior of the fusion experiment Alcator C-Mod at MIT has broken the plasma pressure record for a magnetic fusion device. Photograph: Bob Mumgaard/Plasma Science and Fusion Center/MIT
Damian Carrington

A nuclear fusion world record has been set in the US, marking another step on the long road towards the unlocking of limitless clean energy.

A team at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) created the highest plasma pressure ever recorded, using its Alcator C-Mod tokamak reactor. High pressures and extreme temperatures are vital in forcing atoms together to release huge amounts of energy.

Nuclear fusion powers the sun and has long been touted as the ultimate solution to powering the world while halting climate change. But, as fusion sceptics often say, the reality has stubbornly remained a decade or two away for many years.

Now MIT scientists have increased the record plasma pressure to more than two atmospheres, a 16% increase on the previous record set in 2005, at a temperature of 35 million C and lasting for two seconds. The breakthrough was presented at the International Atomic Energy Agency’s fusion summit in Japan on Monday.

Successful fusion means getting more energy out than is put in and this requires the combination of pressure, temperature and time to pass a critical value at which point the reaction becomes self-sustaining. This remains elusive but the MIT record shows that using very high magnetic fields to contain the plasma may be the most promising route to practical nuclear fusion reactors.

“This is a remarkable achievement,” said Dale Meade, former deputy director at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. “The record plasma pressure validates the high-magnetic-field approach as an attractive path to practical fusion energy.”
Prof Riccardo Betti, at the University of Rochester, New York, said: “This result confirms that the high pressures required for a burning plasma can be best achieved with high-magnetic-field tokamaks such as Alcator C-Mod.”

However, the world record was achieved on the last day of the MIT tokamak’s operation, because funding from the US Department of Energy has now ended. The US, along with the EU, China, India, South Korea, Russia and Japan, are now ploughing their fusion funding into a huge fusion reactor called ITER.

The giant, seven-storey-high tokamak is being built in southern France, with magnets weighing about the same as a Boeing 747. The volume of ITER’s tokamak will be 800 times bigger than the MIT vessel. ITER should be completed in 15-20 years and aims to deliver 500MW of power, about the same as today’s large fission reactors. But the project has been hampered by delays.

This is getting tiresome, really... Could you ease off a little, please? We have all seen it, way too many times, so we now have enough info to make our minds up, thanx...

This is getting tiresome, really... Could you ease off a little, please? We have all seen it, way too many times, so we now have enough info to make our minds up, thanx...

Yes, but this is the first actual implementation - given pride of place in the town square.
I was thinking that if I was them, I would be all set to do a runner at some point.

I think the latter video captures it best - Thunderf00t tends to make a meal out of things.

We will not be piping, selling or storing hydrogen any time soon. It is an absolute pig to deal with

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Ummm... California is building another 36 hydrogen fuelling stations this year, so obviously they feel that fuel cell cars are around to stay, the stations cost between US$1,000,000 and US$2,000,000 to build. I don't see that level of investment being spent if the technology isn't on the up.

Had we gone down the fuel cell route, using hydrogen generated by tidal power, we would now be in the 'free energy' situation.

You don't need to pipe hydrogen, you just need refillable tanks. 5Kg powers a house for a week, so a dual tank system would be ideal, when one is empty, you get it refilled. Of course, the tanks can be bigger than 5Kg.

The worship of the oil industry has held us back.

Back
Top Bottom