Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Eighties films about "Career Women" and other small "f" feminist themes...

Well if we're doing that...

9 1/2 weeks.

I don't think I'm very good at this. I certainly should never be in charge of children's education.

Yeah, no, I definitely shouldn't. My next thought is When Harry Met Sally because it showed women can prioritise orgasms and that's fine.

:facepalm:

I suppose witches of eastwick is out cos they all argue about which one gets to be with nicholsons devil. Although in the end they unite to defeat him. but they are all pretty american middle class in it, so that fits the yuppie thing a bit.

Was the Buffy film 80s?

Day of the Dead - great female lead in that standing up to her male military superiors

Can't think of many British films though...

Clan Of The Cave Bear - set in times of ugg, but it's still well 80s (especially Daryl Hannah's hair and make up) and is about a woman who refuses to accept her lot.

period-set pieces probably less useful, generally. even the most motivated kids will only watch three, if i'm realistic... and the eighties social culture is the key thing i want them to get.

Working Girls - the Lizzie Borden - I remembered it as a documentary, but it ain't. Grim as fuck but a brilliant counter to the likes of Risky Business and other 80s films that glamourise prostitution

Last edited:
I've got this niggling feeling that we've all forgotten a really famous example of an 80s film about a woman doing something slightly unusual for her gender.

I just remembered that there was a thing called Juliet Bravo, about a police inspector, but that was set in Lancashire in the early 80s, which presumably is the equivalent of 1973 or so down south.

I've got this niggling feeling that we've all forgotten a really famous example of an 80s film about a woman doing something slightly unusual for her gender.

....as do I......dredged up this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wish_You_Were_Here_(1987_film)

wywhposter.jpg

...and the one about Cynthia Payne ofcourse..which may be not quite what we are aiming for..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Services

Are you all just enjoying reminiscing, or should I point out that the kids are fifteen so sex and violence (and 18 certs) are out?

Back
Top Bottom