Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Easter Sunday Sri Lanka Church and Hotel bombings.

I spent a month there back in 2014, five years after the civil war had ended. There was a sinister undercurrent to the country even then, not one that you’d maybe see, but certainly one that you’d feel. I remember reading an interview with Kumar Sangakarra that eloquently spelt out the dangers not so long passed. “Every time you pulled up at a red light in Colombo you were thinking ‘is this it, is this the end’?”

These are bombers wanting to go back to those days.

Death toll from Sri Lanka bomb blasts reaches 156

"Reports of 156 dead and upwards of 400 injured.
Americans, British and Dutch citizens were among those killed in the six blasts, according to a hospital source said."

"Meanwhile Sri Lanka's police chief made a nationwide alert ten days ago that suicide bombers planned to hit "prominent churches", according to the warning seen by AFP."

"Police chief Pujuth Jayasundara sent an intelligence warning to top officers on 11 April setting out the threat."

"A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo," said the alert."

"The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that came to notice last year when it was linked to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues"

This, if true...is frightening.. if they had warnings why didn't they do something to prevent it? There is only a very small catholic population.

Hmm. Surely a radical Muslim group would be more likely to hit Sinhalese Buddhist targets in retaliation for their attacks on the Muslim minority?

Most Catholics in Sri Lanka are Tamil. As a religion it's also seen as an extension of colonialism by Sinhalese nationalists.

Terrible news. May God bless them. Like others, I want to express my deepest sympathies to the relatives and friends of those who have died. May God the Almighty bless and comfort all who suffer. And also, may God the Almighty bless the saddened families. Seems like this planet is uninhabited, or the world does not smell good anymore. And yet despite this, I'd like the Earth to become a garden, where men would always sing like little birds.

The terrorists must really have succeeded in creating terror this time, so many attacks in so many places, you'd be afraid to leave the house :(

Hmm. Surely a radical Muslim group would be more likely to hit Sinhalese Buddhist targets in retaliation for their attacks on the Muslim minority?

Most Catholics in Sri Lanka are Tamil. As a religion it's also seen as an extension of colonialism by Sinhalese nationalists.

It does seem a bit odd, doesn't it? Might be a lot of misinformation coming out right now though.

If they had, this wouldn't have been rolling coverage on every Western TV news network since it happened.

If they had, this wouldn't have been rolling coverage on every Western TV news network since it happened.
Like this.
On 22 September 2013, a twin suicide bomb attack took place at All Saints Church[1] in Peshawar, Pakistan, in which 127 people were killed and over 250 injured.[2][3][4] It was the deadliest attack on the Christian minority in the history of Pakistan.[5]
Peshawar church bombing - Wikipedia
Or this
On Palm Sunday, 9 April 2017, twin suicide bombings took place at St. George's Church in the northern Egyptian city of Tanta on the Nile delta, and Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, the principal church in Alexandria, seat of the Coptic papacy. At least 45 people were reported killed and 126 injured. Amaq News Agency said the attacks were carried out by a security detachment of the ISIS.
Palm Sunday church bombings - Wikipedia
Or this.
On the morning of January 27, 2019, two bombs exploded at the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Jolo, Sulu, in the Philippines. Twenty people were killed and 102 others injured.[3] T
2019 Jolo Cathedral bombings - Wikipedia

Very Urban 75 of you.

Well thank you, though I am not sure what your point is. The Christian communities in Egypt, Sri Lanka and (especially) Pakistan have nothing whatsoever to do what the West is up to, but are attacked because we pay more notice if someone kills them than we would if - for example - a Sufi mosque gets attacked.

The more I read the more horrible it becomes.

People using their religion, whatever that is, to justify hate is unforgivable.

Well thank you, though I am not sure what your point is. The Christian communities in Egypt, Sri Lanka and (especially) Pakistan have nothing whatsoever to do what the West is up to, but are attacked because we pay more notice if someone kills them than we would if - for example - a Sufi mosque gets attacked.

How much attention has been paid to the killings of Nigerian Christians this year? Sorry, but I just don't buy the idea that attacks against Christians are somehow reported on in the west more than attacks of other kinds.

Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world, but no-one seems to know that. Anti-Christian sentiment in the western media ensures it'll stay that way.

Can't we just agree that terrorist attacks are reprehensible regardless of who they are aimed at?

On a day supposedly celebrating peace, hope and compassion, over 200 innocent men, women and children slaughtered. And many hundreds injured.

Give them a thought today.

Happy Easter.

over 200 dead probably likey to raise.
I could understand dying to take out a military target or even a major political target but just to murder a bunch of civilians this is just hate for the sake of it.

How much attention has been paid to the killings of Nigerian Christians this year? Sorry, but I just don't buy the idea that attacks against Christians are somehow reported on in the west more than attacks of other kinds.

Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world, but no-one seems to know that. Anti-Christian sentiment in the western media ensures it'll stay that way.

Can't we just agree that terrorist attacks are reprehensible regardless of who they are aimed at?

There is absolutely no anti-christian sentiment in the western media. nata. nothing. Zilch. This has more to do with anti-blackness (the real anti-black racism, not the parody american university farce. Anti-blackness as a social relation.

I can't say I'm surprised that people are coming out with this on u75 now, liberal idpol has rotted even leftists minds.

There is absolutely no anti-christian sentiment in the western media. nata. nothing. Zilch. This has more to do with anti-blackness (the real anti-black racism, not the parody american university farce. Anti-blackness as a social relation.

I can't say I'm surprised that people are coming out with this on u75 now, liberal idpol has rotted even leftists minds.

No anti-christian bias huh? Where was the media outcry at our government's despicable refusal to grant Asia Bibi asylum then?

Back
Top Bottom