Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Easter Break

hash tag

Reaching out
Because of the way my rota works, I finish my night shifts on Good Friday and then have 6 days off.
Suggestions wanted for a quick break. I am trying to think outside the norm because they will be stuffed with families
and/or be closed down. Also there is a need for something interesting, not beaches, not necessarily sunshine.
Oslo keeps coming back to me. What other suggestions do people have?

Because of the way my rota works, I finish my night shifts on Good Friday and then have 6 days off.
Suggestions wanted for a quick break. I am trying to think outside the norm because they will be stuffed with families
and/or be closed down. Also there is a need for something interesting, not beaches, not necessarily sunshine.
Oslo keeps coming back to me. What other suggestions do people have?

Oslo's great. Lots of culture. But just make sure you have the funds, it's bloody expensive. Krakow is a cheaper option, again, plenty of culture, great food, cheap beer and (if you're flying from the UK), not a long haul.

Somewhere in the middle (price-wise) would be (imho) Lisbon. Great city, very lively in parts and very friendly.

Lisbon is high on our list but I suspect it is quite a religious place and could be very crowded at Easter, I think it would be best left outside holidays.
We did Durham a year or two back, would head back that way for countryside/coast.

Helsinki has also come to mind (bearing in mind MrsT has a thing about Moomins).

Lisbon is high on our list but I suspect it is quite a religious place and could be very crowded at Easter, I think it would be best left outside holidays.
We did Durham a year or two back, would head back that way for countryside/coast.

Helsinki has also come to mind (bearing in mind MrsT has a thing about Moomins).
Lisbon at Easter isn’t crowded aside from the Spanish traditionally pitching up there tbh . Some shops close and some tourist sites but bars and restaurants will be in full swing There’s no football Easter Sunday though. If the Portuguese trek anywhere for religious purposes it’ll be Fatima.

Last time I broke my leg skiing, I was in plaster for 3 months (toe to groin).
Ouch. I'm still recovering from 5 broken ribs, collar bone, collapsed lung at Xmas :rolleyes:

What about Morocco? I'm thinking about going to Essaouira for a week at Easter. My sis-in-law's sister's husband runs a surf shop so wondering if I could fuck myself up doing that instead.

Ouch. I'm still recovering from 5 broken ribs, collar bone, collapsed lung at Xmas :rolleyes:

What about Morocco? I'm thinking about going to Essaouira for a week at Easter. My sis-in-law's sister's husband runs a surf shop so wondering if I could fuck myself up doing that instead.
nope. Not Morocco.

Ireland.
April is usually sunny and warm.
Plenty to see and do.
Great food.
Do the Wild Atlantic Way drive.
Or just head to Donegal. Or Kerry.
Or Galway.
Fancy taking a proper look at Cork one day...too busy with other things when last there ;)

thinking about this, a Muslim country would make a bit of sense at Easter, but no, just couldn't.

You could go to North Cyprus, admittedly we were only in Nicosia but once again, people are welcoming, great cheap food and it's supposed to be very beautiful country the further north you go.

Andalucía is always a good choice. Easter can be fully in your face because of the processions but that's also part of the reason for coming here.

I couldnt go to a muslim country, too much respect for Mrs t and women generally. These days I wouldnt go near a country that treats a section of society as second class
or even illegal.

Women are oppressed everywhere. Every single country in the world.

I can understand wanting to draw a line somewhere, Saudi Arabian theocracy doesn’t appeal to me either, but to label all “Muslim countries” as a homogeneous whole is just wrong. Very few are burka enforcing theocracies, any more than all western democracies are Anglican driven Bible bashers. I reckon women carrying heavy loads up mountainsides in many South American countries (while men sit on their arse doing nothing) have a much worse time for example than women in Malaysia.

You can’t generalise as you have about “Muslim countries.” You should get out and see a couple.

I couldnt go to a muslim country, too much respect for Mrs t and women generally. These days I wouldnt go near a country that treats a section of society as second class
or even illegal.

Surely you have Muslim friends and colleagues who aren't like that, maybe some of them (who have family in other counties) could reassure you?

Back
Top Bottom