Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet v Taunton Town, Sat 15th April 2023

AveryDave

Aaron Jones out warming up with Andy Smith and a young ‘keeper I don’t recognise, no sign of Charlie Grainger as yet.

My last dog used to wear a Taunton Town scarf to keep warm in the winter, so I'm cheering them on today

I don't think we're home and hosed yet, but if Taunton (ironically) beat Hungerford on Tuesday night, I'm pretty sure they're relegated by the time we play them.
Correct, a draw will leave them nine points from safety with three to go, meaning anything less than a win against us next weekend relegates them.

Solid performance today, not flamboyant but all about earning the win, managed the game really well, and delighted that Aaron has his first clean sheet in men’s football

Superb result from an improved performance, and the first time we've picked up points for three games in a row since December.

We undoubtedly benefitted from a Taunton team down to a squad of 14 and playing their sixth game in two weeks, but perhaps that's the season levelling itself out after we visited them in the FA Trophy with eleven fit players in November.

Jones did everything asked of him with distribution notably better than Grainger's of late, and strong performances once again from Woodman and particularly Lawless who showed the type of contribution we were lacking in midfield for large parts of the season - quick, strong, decisive and with touches of quality as well.

I'm sure Taunton will be aggrieved at the refereeing performance, but again, possibly the season levelling itself out a bit.

If we win one more game, hungerford and Weymouth can't catch us. If that game is concord, they have to win all their remaining games to catch us. And if we win one more game, cheshunt could only afford to drop points in one game. If we win one more game, we could also finish above Dover if they lose their last 3.

There is a scenario if Weymouth won their next 2 and Dover lose their next 2 of a winner stays up on the last day as they play each other - Dover have 1 win in 9 but do play Concord midweek.

I actually thought Taunton put up quite a fight (literally at times) - didn't think they looked half arsed about the game, thought they just looked a bit tired, which frankly they must be having played as many games as they have recently.

Thought the early goal was really important for us - just let the pressure valve open a little, and we looked a bit more comfortable. Porter looks a completely different player as part of a front 2 and I've gone from being unsure about how much he brings to the side, to thinking he should be a player we really try to keep over the summer.

Taunton played better football than I expected - interesting to see Felix pretty much man marking their lively 22 for the first half. They looked organised and direct but struggled to create too many clear cut chances (again possibly due to fatigue.)

Thought the game actually started to swing away from us in the second half, first when Holland didn't reappear after half time, and then particularly when they brought their massive 10 on. I thought he completely occupied our centre halves, and it felt inevitable that they'd score, but fortunately he had the decency to get himself sent off just before they could chalk one up.

As others have mentioned above, was really impressed with Jones. Thought he made some very good catches and was quick to get off his line and clear any danger. An incredibly mature performance for someone who I believe is still a teenager. Another player I think we'd be wise to keep over the summer.

A stressful but enormous win.

Very competent performance although Taunton gave the impression of already being on the beach.
The "on the beach" clue was their lack of urgency in restarting after our second goal. Sanchez picked up the ball as he ran away to celebrate and none of their players was interested in getting it off him to restart the game. It was nice to win a game with something to spare for a change. Only our 4th win by more than one goal, and in two of the others (Weymouth home, Welling away) the extra goal only came in stoppage time.

We had three very young and inexperienced players for 90 minutes (Jones, Woodman, Lawless) and they all put in a superb performance. Woodman especially looked like he was relishing the occasion, shaking hands with numerous supporters and posing for selfies after the final whistle.

Any idea what triggered this Taunton player after the final whistle? He seemed extraordinarily angry about something!

1681593412354.png

Any idea what triggered this Taunton player after the final whistle? He seemed extraordinarily angry about something!

View attachment 370842
From where I was it looked like a heady mix of a) deep dissatisfaction with some of the refereeing decisions, b) Sanchez Ming being constantly in his earhole for the limited amount time he was on the pitch and c) him being a bit of a penis.

.I'm sure Taunton will be aggrieved at the refereeing performance, but again, possibly the season levelling itself out a bit.
I didn't think the referee got much wrong from where I was watching. There was some moaning about a foul after our first goal but I couldn't see anything amid the chaos of a massive scramble following a corner, with two goalline blocks before Porter poked the third effort into the net. The penalty looked pretty straightforward, although I was 70 yards away for that. I was fairly close to the sending off incident. It was just rank indiscipline. Their guy threw his toys out of the pram shouting for a marginal handball against Felix in a relatively harmless position that wasn't given, then as the referee was poised to book him he got right in his face with further dissent and the yellow card was swapped for a red.

If Cheshunt beat Gravesend today there should be an FA inquiry in spite of the home game result.
I don't think there was ever any danger of that:

I didn't think the referee got much wrong from where I was watching. There was some moaning about a foul after our first goal but I couldn't see anything amid the chaos of a massive scramble following a corner, with two goalline blocks before Porter poked the third effort into the net. The penalty looked pretty straightforward, although I was 70 yards away for that. I was fairly close to the sending off incident. It was just rank indiscipline. Their guy threw his toys out of the pram shouting for a marginal handball against Felix in a relatively harmless position that wasn't given, then as the referee was poised to book him he got right in his face with further dissent and the yellow card was swapped for a red.
Quite possibly, but I think we'd have felt pretty hard done by if we'd been on the receiving end of some of the decisions - four bookings and a sending off with no cards the other way, a penalty given against, a goal ruled out - just like you feel it was even handed if it mostly goes your way.

It was nice to see the opposition lose the plot for a change, though - made the game a lot more straightforward for us, and makes you wonder how many times we've given teams that advantage this season in some of our more ill-disciplined displays.

Edited to say their manager thought they should have had two clear penalties in amongst other inept decisions contributing to a disgraceful refereeing performance, to the extent that he felt sorry for the crowd having to watch it. For my part at least, I can confirm his pity is not required.

Last edited:
Quite possibly, but I think we'd have felt pretty hard done by if we'd been on the receiving end of some of the decisions - four bookings and a sending off with no cards the other way, a penalty given against, a goal ruled out - just like you feel it was even handed if it mostly goes your way.

It was nice to see the opposition lose the plot for a change, though - made the game a lot more straightforward for us, and makes you wonder how many times we've given teams that advantage this season in some of our more ill-disciplined displays.

Edited to say their manager thought they should have had two clear penalties in amongst other inept decisions contributing to a disgraceful refereeing performance, to the extent that he felt sorry for the crowd having to watch it. For my part at least, I can confirm his pity is not required.

That interview is embarrassing. He calls the referee "arrogant". Neither of their penalty shouts was realistic. One was a forward charging through a non-existent gap and falling down. The other was a forward running into the back of a defender and doing a Tom Daley. I was roughly level with the 18 yard line at the end they were attacking in the second half. Their sending off was entirely down to their player being aggressive towards the referee, it wasn't an obvious handball at all, the guy was totally out of order.

Ming was lucky not to get at least a yellow card for winding up their players near the end but their #9 and #16 could also have had cards for the same incident and didn't.

I'm fairly sure the ball was out of play before their disallowed goal, rather than offside, either way it doesn't mean the decision was incorrect.

None of their yellow cards looked harsh to me and the red card certainly wasn't.

I would imagine most of the crowd thoroughly enjoyed it! 😂

That interview is embarrassing. He calls the referee "arrogant". Neither of their penalty shouts was realistic. One was a forward charging through a non-existent gap and falling down. The other was a forward running into the back of a defender and doing a Tom Daley. I was roughly level with the 18 yard line at the end they were attacking in the second half. Their sending off was entirely down to their player being aggressive towards the referee, it wasn't an obvious handball at all, the guy was totally out of order.

Ming was lucky not to get at least a yellow card for winding up their players near the end but their #9 and #16 could also have had cards for the same incident and didn't.

I'm fairly sure the ball was out of play before their disallowed goal, rather than offside, either way it doesn't mean the decision was incorrect.

None of their yellow cards looked harsh to me and the red card certainly wasn't.

I would imagine most of the crowd thoroughly enjoyed it! 😂

Completely agree. I thought they were a better footballing side than some of the higher placed teams that I've seen (Tonbridge, Bath, and Eastbourne all springing to mind), but their discipline was very poor, and it was that that cost them the game.

They should have had more bookings, totally I'll disciplined display. The dive through the non existent gap where both our defenders pulled away from a challenge was fucking embarrassing.

I'm glad we won to open a 6 point gap, if Holland is out it will be difficult with Stephens at the back as at times he looked in no man's land. That said luckily we don't have to play title/play offs challengers so should be ok.

Roll on Hungerford...........

Can't argue with 4 wins and 1 draw out of 5 home games since Hakan came in. That is excellent and will probably save us this year. Away form not been great but better last time out and hopefully we will take a few to Hungerford. Good place to visit

Pics galore!

From Max:

Dulwich Hamlet ease relegation woes with crucial 2-0 win over Taunton Town, Sat 15th April 2023

Dulwich Hamlet ease relegation woes with crucial 2-0 win over Taunton Town, Sat 15th April 2023

And from me:

Photo report: Dulwich Hamlet 2-0 Taunton Town, Sat 15th April 2023

Back
Top Bottom