Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet v Bedfont Sports, FA Cup, 18 September 2021

Yeh, exactly - Carlisle was hardly the plucky performance that we all hoped for and, certainly for me, was tarnished by the fact that we hoofed Quade out for a pair of blokes who's names I can't even fucking remember now.

And if we're talking cups generally then let's not forget the shambles v Balham a few years ago. Nor Christchurch last season.

Agreed that for some reason it doesn't look like we can bothered.
Absolutely. Maybe restrict entry to a tenner, tops, if we're just expected to turn up to provide a bit of colour for the team phoning in cup performances.

The other team has to agree to reduce prices and there is no reason for them to agree.

I believe.
That's fine. Charge half price and give all the income to the opposition. Can probably file it under something or other to do with being a 'community club'.

Reactions: EDC
Can't really add much more to what's already been said. At least I got to catch up with lots of great people after thinking I couldn't make the match.

Yeh, exactly - Carlisle was hardly the plucky performance that we all hoped for and, certainly for me, was tarnished by the fact that we hoofed Quade out for a pair of blokes who's names I can't even fucking remember now.

And if we're talking cups generally then let's not forget the shambles v Balham a few years ago. Nor Christchurch last season.

Agreed that for some reason it doesn't look like we can bothered.
You’re forgetting the Tooting shambles.

You’re forgetting the Tooting shambles.
Or Hornchurch or Wingate and Finchley.

Second half yesterday was old bad Hamlet compared to the improvement last week. People trying to win the game on their own. Dayton and McGregor are both neat, tidy footballers, but there was too much distance between them and the forwards. I don't think they can play together - and like Christchurch last year, going into a cup game against lower league sides with two defensive midfielders?

Or Hornchurch or Wingate and Finchley.

Second half yesterday was old bad Hamlet compared to the improvement last week. People trying to win the game on their own. Dayton and McGregor are both neat, tidy footballers, but there was too much distance between them and the forwards. I don't think they can play together - and like Christchurch last year, going into a cup game against lower league sides with two defensive midfielders?

I didn't attend yesterday but when I saw the line-up my reaction was that it looked unbalanced, pretty top heavy. We're probably a CB or CM light in all honesty. Quade cant fill in for both a missing Holland and Timlin sadly.

Still, that team should have enough to overpower Bedfont Sports.

Last edited:
Oooooooh! So that's why we're doing it! The contract with Discovery must be larger than the FA Cup prize money. Genius.

Cor - for a moment there I thought it might have been another expensive Cup-related fuck up.
Don't be daft. I'm not suggesting anything as ridiculous as a conspiracy - I'm just saying this will feed in nicely to the 'Football legend/hero Peter Crouch is coming to save the struggling club' narrative, which is what this documentary will no doubt try to sell itself on, regardless of the facts.

Don't be daft. I'm not suggesting anything as ridiculous as a conspiracy - I'm just saying this will feed in nicely to the 'Football legend/hero Peter Crouch is coming to save the struggling club' narrative, which is what this documentary will no doubt try to sell itself on, regardless of the facts.

I know you weren't, Ed - I was just been being silly.

Although, to be fair, I reckon a nice conspiracy subplot would add an extra level of engrossing suspense to the documentary...

I know you weren't, Ed - I was just been being silly.

Although, to be fair, I reckon a nice conspiracy subplot would add an extra level of engrossing suspense to the documentary...

A conspiracy where the reveal is that Clasper admits that Peter Crouch was only appointed a director in name only or DINO purely for the TV show.

Plus that no one can control Gav and inevitably whatever happens at the end of the season will be based on whether he can get a better offer elsewhere.

A conspiracy where the reveal is that Clasper admits that Peter Crouch was only appointed a director in name only or DINO purely for the TV show.

Plus that no one can control Gav and inevitably whatever happens at the end of the season will be based on whether he can get a better offer elsewhere.

Cc editor - see prev comments re heresy, ban, and, if necessary, painful execution.

I just reread the thread from when we lost 1-0 away to Hornchurch in the FA Trophy. Very similar to yesterday's debacle.

FA Trophy 1st Round Hornchurch v Dulwich Hamlet Saturday 14th December

That was the point I decided that Gav had taken the club as far as he could. More sensible heads than mine cautioned against a knee jerk decision. Almost 2 years have passed since then, with Covid disrupting a large chunk of it, and here we are with yet another cup shocker from players that just don't seem that interested.

Being honest, I don't want us to go up, so poor performances in the cup hurt more. But if the club are serious about wanting to keep progressing up the pyramid, then surely we need to start looking for a manager capable of getting us there.

I just reread the thread from when we lost 1-0 away to Hornchurch in the FA Trophy. Very similar to yesterday's debacle.

FA Trophy 1st Round Hornchurch v Dulwich Hamlet Saturday 14th December

That was the point I decided that Gav had taken the club as far as he could. More sensible heads than mine cautioned against a knee jerk decision. Almost 2 years have passed since then, with Covid disrupting a large chunk of it, and here we are with yet another cup shocker from players that just don't seem that interested.

Being honest, I don't want us to go up, so poor performances in the cup hurt more. But if the club are serious about wanting to keep progressing up the pyramid, then surely we need to start looking for a manager capable of getting us there.
Whilst Hornchurch were a stronger and more experienced team than Bedfont, that was a far worse performance in my view. We were outfought and barely created a chance in 90 minutes at Hornchurch. On Saturday we battered Bedfont for large spells but just couldn't score. The results may be the same but I don't think the performances are at all comparable. I wasn't watching a team of players who "don't seem that interested" on Saturday.

That particular season was a car crash apart from the FA Cup run, and even that ended with the sour note of established players being dropped for two newcomers against Carlisle. Perhaps there would have been a change at the end of that season had it not been interrupted and Gavin may well have taken the club as far as he can, but last season can't really be used as evidence either way.

Right now I believe we have our best squad since promotion and we've made our best start to a league season at this level. Five matches into a league season with the team occupying a play-off place is an odd time to suggest sacking the manager, unless of course you already wanted a change anyway.

Back
Top Bottom