Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet v Bedfont Sports, FA Cup, 18 September 2021

Having seen the results of the first qualifying round there are potentially exciting ties for us. In particular the Jersey Bulls, who beat VCD today.

But it’ll be Eastbourne won’t it?

Draw on Monday I presume. I’ll amend the thread title when known.
We normally get someone else and beat them before losing to Eastbourne.

Agreed, avoiding teams in our league is favourable, and financially a home game is probably better. I'd imagine a lot of clubs kept their fingers crossed that they wouldn't get an away tie in Jersey.

Agreed, avoiding teams in our league is favourable, and financially a home game is probably better. I'd imagine a lot of clubs kept their fingers crossed that they wouldn't get an away tie in Jersey.
I believe the deal is that Jersey pay travel costs for visiting teams from the mainland for all their home fixtures and their attendances are probably quite large, with gate receipts split between clubs for FA Cup ties. Therefore the away team basically just has to turn up without worrying about travel costs.

Jersey got 1,200 or so last Saturday. They certainly have to pay all expenses for league games. It's quite a useful recruiting tool for certain CoCo South clubs

What’s the beers for sale policy for this game? They changed the rule didn’t they…

Beer is okay for this game.

Covered by The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985, which prevents…”the consumption of alcohol within view of the playing area including, during the restricted period (15 minutes before the start of the event to 15 minutes after the end of the event), rooms within the ground from which the event may be directly viewed”

But only applies to “Association football matches in which one or both of the participating teams represents a club which is for the time being a member (whether a full or associate member) of the Football League, the Football Association Premier League, the Football Conference National Division, the Scottish Football League or Welsh Premier League, or represents a country or territory” or “Association football matches in competition the Football association Cup (other than in the preliminary or qualifying round)”

If it's Bedfont and goes to a replay, there is a superb desi pub (The Duke of Wellington) across the road from their ground. Obviously we should get the job done at Champion Hill but still...

Kingstonian works fo me . if they can beat Oxhey Jets , then welcome back to Nyren Clunis , Kenny Beaney , Kershaney Samuels , etc. etc.
They did manage to beat Oxhey Jets with a few familiar names on the scoresheet. I think it was Tolfrey’s millionth appearance too.

Attachments

• A77B0B10-EB68-4C0B-B63B-C0A12D24C7B5.jpeg
    A77B0B10-EB68-4C0B-B63B-C0A12D24C7B5.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 14
They did manage to beat Oxhey Jets with a few familiar names on the scoresheet. I think it was Tolfrey’s millionth appearance too.
Speaking of Tolfrey, I believe he broke the record for most appearances at Kingstonian. I think its 460ish appearances

I used to go and watch Merstham occasionally when Bird was in charge. Hes absolute comedy gold. You can play Football Managers Bingo with him, the amount of cliches he uses. He also used to have a habit of going back to the dressing room early at half time because 'thats what Mourinho used to do at Chelsea'. Its always worth having a chat with some ex Dulwich players whove played under him just to see the glint in their eye when they give their (semi) professional response

I used to go and watch Merstham occasionally when Bird was in charge. Hes absolute comedy gold. You can play Football Managers Bingo with him, the amount of cliches he uses. He also used to have a habit of going back to the dressing room early at half time because 'thats what Mourinho used to do at Chelsea'. Its always worth having a chat with some ex Dulwich players whove played under him just to see the glint in their eye when they give their (semi) professional response
I think that's the joy of watching his interminable interviews at Ks. You get a real sense that he's living a bit of a fantasy that he's a Premier League manager talking to Sky or the BBC. In reality it's some poor sod of a volunteer wondering whether he's ever going to stop, while the groundsman is just off camera probably gesticulating at his watch because he wants to turn the floodlights off.

I think that's the joy of watching his interminable interviews at Ks. You get a real sense that he's living a bit of a fantasy that he's a Premier League manager talking to Sky or the BBC. In reality it's some poor sod of a volunteer wondering whether he's ever going to stop, while the groundsman is just off camera probably gesticulating at his watch because he wants to turn the floodlights off.
He's living the dream! (Looking at his transfer dealings he thinks he's Gavin Rose, not Mourinho.)

Respect that the biggest noise in the first half is coming from the dozen children supporting Bedfont.

Biggish crowd today, but it’s noticeable how quiet it is.

Back
Top Bottom