Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drumming lessons sought; East London

Schmetterling

I saw something nasty in the woodshed!
I would like to buy my 28-year-old son a taster drumming lesson; either for Christmas, if I am able to find a teacher soon enough, or for his birthday at the beginning of February.

We live in East London. Does anyone on here teach drums (ideally I would like that money to go to someone on here) or do you know someone you could recommend?

I am envisaging a session that would last one to two hours, where some basics are introduced and this on a drum kit as well as on a hand drum - obviously, I am open to advice on the best structure. He does not own any type of drum (if lesson enjoyed then a drum/further lessons would be a future present). He has two music related degrees, and makes music digitally, so he will not be a complete novice.

HoratioCuthbert Buddy Bradley - I have tagged you two as you have posted about lessons on threads in the last three years and might be able to help.

Don't think I'm going to be much help, our daughter is still school-age so we got lessons arranged via the school. I would have thought that finding a taster lesson (possibly even for free) would be easy enough to do though.

However - if he has two music degrees, hasn't he already had ample opportunity to try out playing the drums at various times? Is drumming something he's expressed an interest in trying, or is this just a flash of inspiration from your end?

Don't think I'm going to be much help, our daughter is still school-age so we got lessons arranged via the school. I would have thought that finding a taster lesson (possibly even for free) would be easy enough to do though.

However - if he has two music degrees, hasn't he already had ample opportunity to try out playing the drums at various times? Is drumming something he's expressed an interest in trying, or is this just a flash of inspiration from your end?

Hey; thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes; there are various places around East London but I would have liked the money to go to someone on here. :)

His degrees are music related; none of them involved playing actual instruments. Yes, he expressed interest as a child/early teenager, I never got my act together then to organise this for him, I wojld like to give it to him now. That's why I want to start with a taster session, lest he decides it is not something he wants to do long-term.

Last edited:
Ginger Baker said that drummers are born and not made and I’m inclined to agree. I’m sure that anyone can learn any instrument but a certain amount of natural ability will make the difference between someone who is functional (ie can learn the theory and read tabs) and one who can take some basic tuition and fly on their own. All the drummers I’ve ever played with have found it to be a drive they’ve always had - just looking for the proper outlet. Having taught many guitarists the basics the same principle applies. I hope your lad has it in his soul :)

Back
Top Bottom