Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does not even have to fake sincerity just transgress entertainingly.

Trump: Triumph of Bullshit.
tumblr_nx5htaD9ZG1qatd1jo3_1280.jpg

Linky.

No Words on DeVos?

Trump's Pick for Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Was Horribly Embarrassing in Every Way

Inability to understand the difference between proficiency and growth in an education system.

Did not know that the Americans with disabilities act was Federal law.

Claimed she was against gun free zones in schools in case of "grizzly bear attacks" she said that to a representative from Sandy Hook.

Born into extreme wealth, married wealthier told Bernie Sanders than "nothing is free".

Her family has donated around $200m to the Republican party

No Words on DeVos?

Trump's Pick for Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Was Horribly Embarrassing in Every Way

Inability to understand the difference between proficiency and growth in an education system.

Did not know that the Americans with disabilities act was Federal law.

Claimed she was against gun free zones in schools in case of "grizzly bear attacks" she said that to a representative from Sandy Hook.

Born into extreme wealth, married wealthier told Bernie Sanders than "nothing is free".

Her family has donated around $200m to the Republican party

Thinks teachers make too much money.

Has never attended a public school.

Her children didn't either.

Has no degree in any education related field.

I think its beginning to dawn on Ben Carson that he's in over his head.

He's proof that just because you're a brain surgeon, it doesn't mean you have two brain cells to rub together.
Give the man some credit. He was savvy enough to be sucking Trump's dick before most of the GOP formed an orderly line. Sleepy sycophancy was about the only way he was going to achieve cabinet office. It was a long shot but it worked. Being entire unqualified for his grace and favour post he's very qualified to comprehensively wreck US public housing policy as is intended. If he toadies some more he might even get promoted.

Mattis on the other hand is going to be one miserable old Marine trying to reconcile Trump's pro-Russia anti-Iran leanings in Syria, perhaps fight a war over Taiwan and deal with crazies like Flynn and Bannon.

This is the John Lewis guy that was publicly calling Trump a Russian agent as justification for boycotting his inauguration and now everyone's gone into meltdown because Trump answered him back ?.

In the article, the author makes a suggestion as to how a President might answer him back.

The article discusses how Presidents-elect work at attempting to reunite the country after what are typically divisive elections. There are recent examples of this from both Bush and Obama.

Attacking Lewis and slamming Atlanta aren't what's needed right now. The country needs a President who is able to control his anger, and not lash out immediately with whatever comes into his head - whether the critic should be a disabled reporter, a woman, or a Civil Rights-era activist who is now considered a hero by the African-American community.

The Omaha-trained, Washington, D.C.-based stylist says she happily serves Ds and Rs alike and has taken pride in her reputation for being discreet and for leaving politics out of the chair.

Then came an Inauguration Day request — to do the hair of Tiffany Trump, the 23-year-old daughter of President-elect Donald Trump. And to do hair for Tiffany’s mother, actress Marla Maples and Trump’s ex-wife. Kelly was truly flattered. She saw this as an honor.

Then came the catch: To do both women’s hair for free. In exchange, a Maples aide said through an intermediary, Kelly would get exposure through social media.

Grace: Stylist says Trump family request for Inauguration Day came with a catch

On War Is Boring MATTIS TALKS NUKES, BUT IS TRUMP LISTENING?
What does it mean when the president-elect offers to further reduce nuclear stockpiles in return for relieving sanctions on Russia? Is this daylight between Trump and Mattis on nuclear weapons policy? Trump’s offer seems to run counter to his previous statements during the campaign. Conservative national security advisors certainly did not suggest this option, and Russia does not show any interest in dropping its arsenal below New START levels. While Russia may expect to dialogue with the Trump administration on strategic stability, nothing in Russia’s current security situation suggests an interest in any substantial cuts in nuclear weapons.

Of course, there could be cuts in the overall nuclear stockpile, in particular those older nuclear weapons that are no longer operational. One of the selling points of the Obama administration’s nuclear program was that it focused on both modernizing existing nuclear forces and cutting the number of total nuclear weapons. While their statements could indicate differing opinions on U.S. nuclear policy, there is simply no way to know yet.

We should not forget that the Obama administration supported nuclear modernization and laid the groundwork for getting these programs into the U.S. defense budget. Nuclear weapons modernization has long been a bipartisan effort between the two national parties. The chaotic process of developing U.S. policy and implementing defense programs should not be confused with the lack of resolve. Certainly, there will be differences between the incoming and outgoing administration with respect to nuclear weapons modernization and nonproliferation agreements. But in the cold light of day, it may be that the two are more similar than dissimilar. And, continuity of effort can be a good thing for the U.S. national security, especially given the significantly critical nature of nuclear deterrence.
I have a hunch Trump knew almost nothing about nuclear weapons when campaigning and once better briefed found the Russian arsenal rather worrying. He didn't even know what the nuclear triad was in an early debate. He was quizzing State officials about the effect of a nuke on NYC in a recent briefing.

I voted for Donald Trump, and I already regret it

I remember the precise moment that I realized I regretted voting for Donald Trump.

It was during his 60 Minutes interview after the election. I was, like everyone else, shocked that he had won. It seemed so unlikely based on the polls and the confidence the media had that he would lose. It was a pleasant surprise, and I went to bed on election night thrilled that he would be our president.

But sitting on my couch, sipping coffee as I watched the interview, I saw with my own eyes who Trump really was as a person. He backtracked on one of his signature campaign promises: pursuing an investigation into the Clinton email scandal. It’s not that I want Clinton to be crucified or “locked up” — it’s the nonchalance with which he went back on his word after hammering it repeatedly during the campaign. The ease and quickness with which he reversed his position shook me to my core. I realized in that moment that I had voted for a demagogue. And it was sickening.

Since that 60 Minutes interview when Trump went back on his promise to investigate Clinton, I haven’t been able to look at him the same way. Witnessing his open admittance that he made promises simply because they “played well” during the campaign was disturbing. He has shown himself to be guilty of all of the same things he accused Hillary of — lying to the public, refusing to do press conferences, putting himself and his business interests above the American people.

Since the election, Trump has repeatedly spat in the faces of those that cast their ballots for him. I did not cast my vote for his Cabinet members, many of them rich millionaires and billionaires, despite Trump’s lambasting of Hillary Clinton on her association with Wall Street. I did not cast my vote for his sons who sat next to him during his meeting with tech titans, potentially representing the vast business interests of the Trump company that they now run. I did not cast my vote for Ivanka, whose clothing brand was working out an ongoing deal with a Japanese clothing company when she sat in on a meeting with her father and the Japanese prime minister. I did not cast my vote to enrich the very swamp that Trump promised he would drain.

I voted for Donald Trump, and I already regret it

Buyer's remorse.

She should have paid more attention during the campaign, and maybe she wouldn't have made this mistake.

Trump gets compared with Berlusconi, Mussolini etc. Maybe he could also be considered sort of a rightist version of Juan Peron - the guy who made his wife, a former nightclub dancer, the Vice President of Argentina.

On War On The Rocks MAKE TURKISH-AMERICAN RELATIONS GREAT AGAIN: ADVICE FOR THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION
Therefore, when Donald Tramp assumes office, he will be riding on a tremendous public relations capital vis-à-vis Turkish domestic politics. The very first thing that Trump must do is avoid wasting this public relations capital. A few gestures, in the Turkish context, would go a long way. In other words, Trump can play on the capital he enjoys right now to continue charming Turkish people. The downside of Trump’s current popularity is that expectations are very high, which means he can waste his capital very fast with the wrong moves.
My bold, not a good start Burak. This is going to end in tears.

Trump does not have a conventional US attitude to NATO or Russia which weakens Turkey's hand with the US. Though he adores strongmen and may even take to Erdogan initially. I suspect Trump might hand over Gulen but a lot of this will hinge around Trump's attitude to the PKK. Turks should not get their hopes up there but may take comfort in Trump's slippery habit of bilking contractors once they have served their purpose.

Thinks teachers make too much money.

Has never attended a public school.

Her children didn't either.

Has no degree in any education related field.

She sounds like a real sweetheart altogether.

https://news.vice.com/story/betsy-devos-tax-forms-contradict-her-testimony-clerical-error

"Having served as VP of a non-profit isn’t inherently problematic, but this non-profit was the Edgar and Elsa Prince Foundation, which has given money to anti-LGBTQ causes, legislation, and groups. That includes Focus on the Family, which has been a vocal advocate for conversion therapy — a “treatment” for gay people that has been universally panned by relevant expert communities. The organization has also argued that anti-bullying education is part of a radical gay conspiracy."

In TAC NATO’s Mission
Probably the most famous answer was given by Lord Ismay, the first secretary general of NATO. He quipped that the purpose of the alliance was “to keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down.”

If that’s what NATO is for, then much of what the alliance has been doing for the past 20 years would have to be described as “off-mission.” So would Trump’s call for NATO to “focus on terrorism,” for that matter. But if the original mission no longer makes sense, perhaps the organization needs a new mission — or it needs to be scrapped. So: Is the original mission obsolete?
Inasmuch as NATO keeps Germany “down” (while the EU helps raise Germany “up” in the economic sphere), this allows the Germans to have their cake and eat it too, counting on Americans to shoulder the burden of collective security and leaving them free to posture as a more reasonable interlocutor with the Russians. It is difficult to see how this is in America’s interest — unless NATO’s primary purpose is not in deterring Russia through collective security, but preventing the rise of a European rival to American power, and providing America with a force-multiplier for its own adventures.
Kissinger described British attitudes to continental Europe as a divide and rule mentality trying to prevent continental great powers getting together. Under a veneer I think a lot of British strategic attitudes haven't changed that much since Ismay. Whereas the more distant Americans often view all Europeans as potential trouble makers who might be less worrisome if they got along by focusing on making a buck or at least could be persuaded to only regard the villainous Russkis as an enemy.

Piece is somewhat sympathetic to Trump's view of NATO but does point out "fighting terrorism" is a nonsensical mission for the big brigades of NATO. But that rather goes with Trump regarding it as an obsolete construction. If you don't see those nice billionaire Russian siloviki as a threat what's it for?

I do find it very strange that anyone would rate the threat of terrorism or even the Iranians more seriously than a shooting war between nuclear powers that we may slide into if the balances were to shift in Europe and they are shifting.

I do find it very strange that anyone would rate the threat of terrorism or even the Iranians more seriously than a shooting war between nuclear powers that we may slide into if the balances were to shift in Europe and they are shifting.

NATO is now the problem it claims to be the answer to, the balance of power is being leaned on by NATO and its masters. Really there's no reason why we couldn't have had a new security architecture in Europe that includes Russia since the 1990's, the NATO establishment didn't want it... something like that would be about security rather than US primacy, so not much use I suppose. Now we're pushing into Ukraine and wondering why the Russias are rousing themselves to address the problem of NATO in Ukraine. Madness.

NATO is now the problem it claims to be the answer to, the balance of power is being leaned on by NATO and its masters. Really there's no reason why we couldn't have had a new security architecture in Europe that includes Russia since the 1990's, the NATO establishment didn't want it... something like that would be about security rather than US primacy, so not much use I suppose. Now we're pushing into Ukraine and wondering why the Russians are rousing themselves to address the problem of NATO in Ukraine. Madness.
Actually I don't disagree with you entirely. NATO handled it all very badly. The foolish thing was imagining they'd never be a threat again. Russia has a long history of reverses and recoveries. We tried but failed to make a better peace after the USSR left the field. We wandered off bereft seeking other enemies for our splendid militaries in the ME. We became distracted in dusty places, easily terrified by terrorists and rather too keen on self righteous regime change.

History however refused to oblige us by ending. It's a bit utopian to imagine Russia being part of a Kantian security architecture. The Americans fundamentally don't see the world that way and not least because the Russians really didn't want any part of that. They both kept their ICBMs and on a hair trigger. The Russians dwindling in strength then dropped no first use and went to a doctrine of rapid escalation to tactical nukes. For folk like Putin the threatening enemy lies to West and terrorism is an irritation. It's a sensible threat assessment based on capabilities for enemies leaders change and with that their character.

They're now faced with the oh so friendly but rather treacherous by nature Trump. An immature bully, easily slighted who favours sneak attacks and can't see why that should not be nuclear.

There'll always be threat of things descending into war because men are fools grow to take the complexities of maintaining peace for granted or are simply bad. It's like smugly assuming their never be a market crash because we are so much smarter than our fathers.

Actually I don't disagree with you entirely. NATO handled it all very badly. The foolish thing was imagining they'd never be a threat again. Russia has a long history of reverses and recoveries. We tried but failed to make a better peace after the USSR left the field. We wandered off bereft seeking other enemies for our splendid militaries in the ME. We became distracted in dusty places, easily terrified by terrorists and rather too keen on self righteous regime change.
'We'? Are you employed by NATO then?

A talk by Dr Frank Uekoetter for the Centre for Modern and Contemporary History and the Institute for German Studies. One week before his inauguration, a Google search for “Trump” and “Fascism” retrieves more than half a million results. When it comes to the collective memory of Western democracies, it is the experience of Fascism that resonates more strongly than any other with the American president-elect. But is this a precedent that holds up to scrutiny? And how does the literature on Fascism in Germany and Italy look against this contemporary challenge: do we have the kind of history of Fascism in our libraries and our collective memory that we need to confront Trump? By bringing history and contemporary politics into a dialogue, this talk tries to make sense of a phenomenon that may not be quite as unprecedented.

Trump gets compared with Berlusconi, Mussolini etc. Maybe he could also be considered sort of a rightist version of Juan Peron - the guy who made his wife, a former nightclub dancer, the Vice President of Argentina.
The best comparison to Peron is the man who inspired him - Mussolini.

In terms of comparing Trump to Peron, we'll see, but I seriously doubt it. Peron was most certainly 'fascist-lite' in the corporatist way that he coopted labour movements into his movement and persecuted any labour movement that resisted. He gave a speech to business leaders in which he outlined his strategy, which was little more than 'you've got to give the workers something - it's good for business', which was also something more or less in line with his times.

Will Trump give the workers something? Will he even try to cultivate support among the poor - the 'descamisados' that Peron set his wife about charming? I doubt it really. He isn't a man of the people, and his wife is even more remote. And the kinds of thing Peron did, such as coopting unions into the government sphere, really seem unlikely.

The best comparison to Peron is the man who inspired him - Mussolini.

In terms of comparing Trump to Peron, we'll see, but I seriously doubt it. Peron was most certainly 'fascist-lite' in the corporatist way that he coopted labour movements into his movement and persecuted any labour movement that resisted. He gave a speech to business leaders in which he outlined his strategy, which was little more than 'you've got to give the workers something - it's good for business', which was also something more or less in line with his times.

Will Trump give the workers something? Will he even try to cultivate support among the poor - the 'descamisados' that Peron set his wife about charming? I doubt it really. He isn't a man of the people, and his wife is even more remote. And the kinds of thing Peron did, such as coopting unions into the government sphere, really seem unlikely.

You are over-thinking this. Johnny Canuck only thinks that Trump is like Peron because he thinks there is a wife parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom