Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you use any paid Android or Apple apps?

savoloysam

Ready to move into the light
I have a few but only boring security apps. VPN etc.

Are there any apps that you prefer to get the paid versions of?

Citymapper because you get the turbo journey option (plus it’s an ace app so I want to support them).

WeekCal for similar reasons.

Oxford Dictionary for offline searches.

Citymapper because you get the turbo journey option (plus it’s an ace app so I want to support them).
I've never heard of that. What does it do and how much does it cost?

I've bought apps in the past but am struggling to think of any I've bought in the last year or so (apart from one disastrous half-price subscription to a dating app for a month).

Happily, my Pixel Pro comes with a free VPN.

• Sad
Reactions: tim
I do have a few apps that whilst free in themselves are used to control paid for hardware such as Hive, Kasa and Ring. However I have no apps that I have paid for.

I have a paid for Minecraft on my phone. I want to find a decent paid for Sudoku because I'm fed up of ads but it seems they want to make money through ads these days.

I don't know what this means for the app long term. Also Eventually companies like Google caught up and overtook Citymapper on its key USPs isn't my experience at all. For all it's cleverness Google can't seem to understand that I don't have a car.

I have citymapper and google and apple maps and they're all good in their own ways, but quite honestly the feature which trumps them all (on the iphone) is Apple maps working while the screen is locked.

What pisses me off about some of these paid for apps is when they switch from being a one off (i.e. lifetime) PRO version to suddenly becoming a monthly subscription and to hell with people who coughed up for the 'pro' version when it was a one off payment.

This happened IIRC with FlightRadar24. I paid for PRO to remove the ads and unlock the pro features, and after months of working fine this way, I'm now back on the 'basic' tier unless I agree to pay monthly. I don't think so.

Not really app specific but I do pay monthly for YouTube Premium (albeit via India in rupees because its way cheaper) for the ability to listen while the screen is locked and download videos/music. And of course no ads.

What pisses me off about some of these paid for apps is when they switch from being a one off (i.e. lifetime) PRO version to suddenly becoming a monthly subscription and to hell with people who coughed up for the 'pro' version when it was a one off payment.

This happened IIRC with FlightRadar24. I paid for PRO to remove the ads and unlock the pro features, and after months of working fine this way, I'm now back on the 'basic' tier unless I agree to pay monthly. I don't think so.

Not really app specific but I do pay monthly for YouTube Premium (albeit via India in rupees because its way cheaper) for the ability to listen while the screen is locked and download videos/music. And of course no ads.

Some of the subscription apps seriously take the piss with their pricing. Always read the reviews before purchasing an app.

I have done occasionally in the past but not now. I support one podcast on Patreon for extra content but that's just £1 a month.

Apple (and google) reduce the commission for subscriptions vs one off payments if people subscribe for over a year - that's the reason so many went to subscription despite it being aggravating.

Todoist, because I use it for work, it runs my life so it's worth the money for the paid version & extra features.
Used to pay for Evernote so that I could use it on phone, ipad and pc but stopped because the UI became complicated and cluttered with features I didn't want and searching and finding notes was hard. Defeated the object. I moved my notes to Dropbox Paper which is more of a document sharing app (like Google drive) but I pay for a Dropbox sub anyway, that's where all my work stuff is kept. The UI is simple and uncluttered, that's all I need really and that everything syncs across all my devices.
Moovit - it's an app for bus and train services in Yorkshire and it's virtually unusable unless you pay because of the pop ups, that pop up and stay up for ages at the worst moment, so that was a reluctant one, but it's the only way often to find out if buses are cancelled or late because it has a real time tracker on it. (Oh how I miss London transport.)
Yoga Studio by Gaiam - it was free for years until it got sold to Gaiam and I've used it for ages now, you only get a shit stripped down version if you go for the free one, the paid version has more classes and the ability to create your own. I use it nearly every day.
I also pay for several different cloud services but I keep almost everything in Dropbox, otherwise I forget where it is. I got icloud because mum refuses to delete ANYTHING off her phone and that way she can keep all her photos. Mum and dad and my phones and ipads all back up to that icloud space that I pay for. I also use it for work but only for Procreate files - if it's any other kind of file it goes in Dropbox. I ran out of space on Google so I pay for that now,, too, I try to not use Google drive apart from with one creative director client of mine who loves Google slides. Then there's creative cloud sigh again I use it for flipping to and fro between ipad and pc when I'm designing something but try not to keep much on there, apart from colour palettes and Adobe capture patterns that I'm sharing with clients.
I now have to pay £4.99 a month for Pantone connect - I have to work with pantones, can't avoid it and the old pantone app that cost me north of £100 is now obsolete and has become a subscription. It's the shittest app and UI I've ever used except maybe the DHL website.

Last edited:
DuoLingo - think it's in the region of £40-50 a year, so about £1 a week, which is good value.
I didn't mind the interruption of the ads in the free version, in a sense. I didn't mind having a finite number of 'lives' so that if I made too many mistakes I'd have to wait a day for my lives to refresh so I could carry on. What made me pay for a subscription was that one of the frequently recurring ads was Gary Barlow advertising BBC Maestro masterclasses. His voice started to grate. Then it was like hearing nails scrape down a blackboard. So I coughed up.

Driving Licence Theory Test - around a fiver?
Don't know what the app's correct name is, something like that. Someone recommended it in a Facebook group for something completely different, and a few other people piped up saying they'd used it and found it helpful.

I use other free apps.

One or two - A bagpipe/smalpipes tuner - had to pay to get the smallpipe features, a photo-editing app, although the editing features in my current phone camera app are making it redundant. A printer manager that has also been superseded by my new printer's control app. I get access to several Office 365 installations through work, so I have one on my phone.

OSmaps. Use it all the time. I have a VPN on my main PC which I can use on my 5 as one of the 5 gadgets.

I have a snooker game that I play a lot but that's free. Oh and a star gazing app.

Memory Map for OS mapping

aCalender years and years. One of payment and by far the best way of seeing my Google calendar on mobile I found.

Strava

Spotify

I had the same issue with flight radar. I now use it via a browser on the rare occasion I hear a plane (generally the late flights to South America which I used to hear when I lived in Berkshire, I often had planes going overhead at about 5000 feet coming into land too so used it a lot more).

iWebtv is one I pay for. I use it to cast film streams from phone to tv. Think I cost it about £6 to remove all the ads, etc but well worth it when you consider

Only one I can think of. It's a writing/sketching app that works with my apple pen.

SimplyPiano, (yearly subscription)
YouTube Music (& video), (yearly subscription)
HI-Q MP3 recorder
Ultimate Guitar
Clefs/Perfect Ear training

Garmin Connect came free with the watch, but I guess I paid for it... Or maybe it's free anyway, I never looked into it.

• Lexulous Word Game - Apps on Google Play I play this across android, iOS and Windows but pay for the android version on my phone
  • nordvpn - Android Apps on Google Play
  • fitbit - Android Apps on Google Play came free with the watch - but I suppose I've paid for it another way - might ditch it or see what's free when it expires
  • Spotify - have recently ditched this - will go back when I get suitably effed off with the adverts again - have been advised to try YTmusic&Ytube paid for
  • I pay for Prime - or I do until it renews in July when they can go whistle after putting it up - so whatever comes bundles with that Prime Music, Prime Reading, don't use them afaik, I do use Prime Video occasionally, which leads me on to
  • Netflix - have a subscription for the house so have it on my phone and tablet too
  • Office 365 - paid for on my laptop so get the 'full' mobile version iyswim
There will be others I've had and ditched and can't remember now

Back
Top Bottom