Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you play by the rules when the game is rigged?

DotCommunist

So many particulars. So many questions.
Beat the game on its own terms? refuse to play? Cheat to win?

I'm asking because I was thinking about game theory and how it is morally legitimate to cheat if the game is stacked against you. Even if you lose while cheating you have still won because you ripped the piss out of the game before losing. You started in negative position and therefor every bit you claim back is actually a win.

I am justifying cheating at monopoly btw. Cheating at monopoly is the most valid rule of all.

have run this by the resident christian and she recons the rules are the rules and to cheat is actually wrong- by that logic one must win or endure the loss.

Like playing monopoly when you have two stations, the blues and the utilities. You won't win but by the rules of monopoly you should at least beat whichever poor bastard got lumbered with the greens, repeatedly jailed and hit for super tax all the time.

have run this by the resident christian and she recons the rules are the rules and to cheat is actually wrong- by that logic one must win or endure the loss.

What sort of Christian were they? It could be seen as a fundamental question. Play by the rules and go to Heaven?

Like playing monopoly when you have two stations, the blues and the utilities. You won't win but by the rules of monopoly you should at least beat whichever poor bastard got lumbered with the greens, repeatedly jailed and hit for super tax all the time.

You want justice DotCommunist?

fundy baptist- light on the raging homophobia but heavy on the creationism and the Jesus love. I've some hilarious christian science books on the shelf downstairs.

Justice, yes. What is right not what is mandated and sold.

@yield, no I think predestination is non-lutheran. So possibly calvanist. Roots of providence and so on.

@lbj

it's the only valid rule. I was gratified to find that the game itself was a rip-off from a game created by a pious quaker woman. Called 'The landlords game' and designed to show the iniquity of capitalism through the medium of play. Fucking win.

Therefor the only valid response to a rigged system is to mug it whenever you can. score.

@yield, no I think predestination is non-lutheran. So possibly calvanist. Roots of providence and so on.

@lbj

it's the only valid rule. I was gratified to find that the game itself was a rip-off from a game created by a pious quaker woman. Called 'The landlords game' and designed to show the iniquity of capitalism through the medium of play. Fucking win.

Therefor the only valid response to a rigged system is to mug it whenever you can. score.

The people who play by the rules are suckers. Real capitalists wouldn't play by the rules.

I once tried to play a board game called Community, which was supposed to be some sort of alternative to Monopoly and to encourage co-operation between the players. It was shit and the rules were incoprehensible.

Stealing money from the bank is fine. Insisting that taxes go on free parking, refusing to hold auctions, or denying players the right to develop and collect rents while in jail, on the other hand, should be punished with severe beatings.

When playing Monopoly it is essential to cheat, stealing from the bank is all part of the game. If playing against children, cheating, and mugging them for their properties and stealing from the bank are mandatory. Show no compassion, show no weakness!

The only way is to immediately buy everything you land on. Always works. I like to play in the manner of Nicholas Van Hoogstraten.

Deontological - Don't cheat unless you can universalise the maxim "To cheat in monopoly is A-OK"
Consequentialism - Will cheating lead to increased overall welfare?
Ultilitarianism - Better a honest monopoly player disatisfied than a cheater satisfied!
Rawls - You can cheat, but only if the poorest player is better off because you cheated than they would be without your cheating
Existentialism - The subject is in bad faith when he believes he is the top hat, he must have pre-reflective realistation of his authentic choice
Rand - Man has an inalienable right, derived from nature, to fuck each other over in monopoly and just be a cunt generally

Back
Top Bottom