Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do bay leaves have to be dried to use them in cooking?

I use them straight of the tree as well apart from a quick rinse. :)

I thought drying is just a way to store them if they aren't to hand. :confused:

dunno. I just thought I'd ask because you never hear of people suggesting you plant a bay for fresh herbs like you do with rosemary or whatever. I don't have a bay - I'm going to steal some leaves off my sister's tree :cool:

Bay trees tend to take over if your not careful. They can grow to 35 foot high and the same in diameter. :eek:

I neglected mine for a few years and pruned it last year filling 3 wheelie bins.

bay is about the only herb where the flavour of it dried is better than the flavour fresh. cut a few 2 foot branches and tie them together at the base with string and hang them anywhere out of the way. they will go slowly browner.

you can use them fresh, but IMO, they give more flavour to a dish after they have been dried for a few weeks.

YOu can also chuck the twigs onto a BBQ, to give the smoke a lovely scent.

And I'm really looking foward to having a conversation with my neighbour about her bay tree which is starting to overgrow my garden, 2 sodding huge trees in one small garden and that's half my sunlight gone.

I have heard that fresh bay is mildly toxic and that is why people dry it before using, but I don't know if this is true or not.

So far as I know Bay is not toxic when fresh.

Fresh bay, and the fumes from Bay burned as incense, were used by the Sybil at Delphi to enter a trance state. In large amounts, it is an effective narcotic.

I suppose that some may consider it toxic for this reason.

I have a diploma in horticulture so I can tell the difference :cool:

ah that's cool :)

I think bay leaves are best used dried and whole in cooking, because they give a better flavour. Also my nan used to warn me not to leave them cook for too long, and to always pick them out when cooking is finished or they leave a bitter taste -- maybe that's why they need to be whole. Well at least that's how my nan did things.

I think bay leaves are best used dried and whole in cooking, because they give a better flavour. Also my nan used to warn me not to leave them cook for too long, and to always pick them out when cooking is finished or they leave a bitter taste -- maybe that's why they need to be whole. Well at least that's how my nan did things.

Really :eek: Shit. I better fish them out of my tomato sauce that's in the fridge since yesterday :(

My mum always made me fish the dry bay leaf out of stwes too! :)

However tonight, Mr Oliver chopped up the fresh ones very finely for his marinades. Maybe because the fresh flavour is more delicate?

My mum always made me fish the dry bay leaf out of stwes too! :)

However tonight, Mr Oliver chopped up the fresh ones very finely for his marinades. Maybe because the fresh flavour is more delicate?

Oh well I can't be arsed to fish them out tonight so if they've ruined my tomato sauce, they've ruined it. But I will be cross because it's about a litre and it tasted yummy yesterday. Bugger. I should have just bought some ready made pizzas but I was trying to save money :(

If you're using them straight from the bush make sure they don't have scale insect (tiny white flat things) on the back of the leaf near the vein! They won't have just come off in washing - you literally have to scape them off!
Bay trees and bushes (along witth Oleander) often have a problem with them.

Really :eek: Shit. I better fish them out of my tomato sauce that's in the fridge since yesterday :(

Nah, I always leave the bay leaves in. If any end up on the plate, I fish 'em out and put them back into the pot. No-one has ever complained about my leftovers.

I've even frozen leftovers with the bay leaves in there.

I have picked them out with a fork. The sauce still tastes good and I have not yet eaten it all. Now all I have to do is make the pizza :eek: :D

Was having this discussion only last night. Glad safe to use.

Wow, this thread is nearly 8 years old :D I didn't see it at the time, or I'd have replied then, they are perfectly OK to use fresh - I used to live somewhere with a sunny balcony and kept a small bay tree in a pot out there (it was all the rage in the '90s) and used the fresh leaves all the time, but they have a better flavour (IMO) if dried.

Last edited:
Aye same here. Next door has a mahoosive bay tree and a curry one within scrumping reach. It's the only thing I like about them :D

Back
Top Bottom