Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Django Reinhardt - No thread ?

I don't think we should have an individual thread for every artist seperately... might be better to have a thread on e.g. "jazz guitarists". otherwise you end up with 100s of thread that are just a few youtube videos of one artist because someone happened to be listening to them one night, and then go dead because there isn't much more to say apart from "yeh they're good".

I'm going to use this thread to post a video I just found of Charlie Christian live in a club... contemporary to Django, playing an electric guitar... a pretty crazy sound for 1941:

ohh thanks to wikipedia I learnt that Django Rheinhardt went electric in his later career, and developed a different style to the classic hot club recordings... might have to search some of those recordings out, it mentions a live club recording from 1951.

ohh thanks to wikipedia I learnt that Django Rheinhardt went electric in his later career, and developed a different style to the classic hot club recordings... might have to search some of those recordings out, it mentions a live club recording from 1951.
I’ve got a great box set called Retrospective 1934-1953. You can find it on Spotify too. But the actual box is well worth having.

I don't think we should have an individual thread for every artist seperately... might be better to have a thread on e.g. "jazz guitarists". otherwise you end up with 100s of thread that are just a few youtube videos of one artist because someone happened to be listening to them one night, and then go dead because there isn't much more to say apart from "yeh they're good".
Agree. A jazz guitarist thread would be ace. Humberto please change the title.

Django was brilliant. He had amazing skill and created a fantastic sound, in spite of lacking in the finger department. For those who like Django's style, here's a more recent guitarist with a Reinhardtesque version of Man of Mystery.

Oh, and just to add, Charlie Christian was the daddy of the jazz guitar (even though he died very young). That Minton's set is top notch. Dizzy Gillespie is on trumpet and I believe Theolonius Monk provides some of the piano a few of the recordings.

By creating the thread, you have made the title of it incorrect. Perhaps it should be retitled to just Django Reinhardt.
Loads of posters do this. Why?
It's one of my pet peeves. Actually, and I'm not having a go at anyone here, It annoys me, a lot.
There's never a thread about anything until there is. Starting one and adding 'what no' to the title doesn't make you clever, it makes you annoying.
The search feature is a bit rubbish in my experience. Can search for threads I know exist and they don't show.
Not a bit, a lot! It's shite. You can do a keyword search for a 500 page thread that you posted in yesterday, and is posted in multiple times every day, and the search results show you threads from 10 years ago. It's almost as annoying as 'What no' thread titles.
Google is your best bet to search here, but you won't get results from hidden areas.

Agree. A jazz guitarist thread would be ace. Humberto please change the title.

Oh, and just to add, Charlie Christian was the daddy of the jazz guitar (even though he died very young). That Minton's set is top notch. Dizzy Gillespie is on trumpet and I believe Theolonius Monk provides some of the piano a few of the recordings.
Agree with changing the thread title! Humberto

Yes I don't know much about jazz guitar tbh, that Charlie Christian recording was a bit of a revelation! A lot of the future of music in there... and crazy how young he was... and tragic. Def not as technical as django rheinhardt, and not as well known to the general public (tho hardly obscure either). I guess a lot of jazz guitar is quite kind of formulaic... the crazy/innovative side of things on guitar was taken over by rock music.

Agree with changing the thread title! Humberto

Yes I don't know much about jazz guitar tbh, that Charlie Christian recording was a bit of a revelation! A lot of the future of music in there... and crazy how young he was... and tragic. Def not as technical as django rheinhardt, and not as well known to the general public (tho hardly obscure either). I guess a lot of jazz guitar is quite kind of formulaic... the crazy/innovative side of things on guitar was taken over by rock music.
Did you know that Jimi Hendrix's favourite guitarist was none other than the great Kenny Burrell?

i had a quick listen.... yeh not exactly what I would have expected jimi hendrix to be influenced by, it is very "smooth jazz"

Back
Top Bottom