Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DIY disinfectant what can i use?

bimble

floofy
very minor injury but can't find in house any of the stuff like savlon or iodine or whatever which i am sure i had and do not want to do a special trip to town.
Vinegar? alcohol? toilet cleaner?
internet seems to be hippies talking about lavender oil which nope.

quite interesting, because the word just popped into my head.

Poultice you mean?

Yeah, they went out of use but they’re incredibly healing and soothing. Need to be used in the right circumstances though. Like anything else, they can cause harm if used wrongly. A lot of old medical knowledge was lost as modern mediocre came to the fore.
People would grow up learning how to manage a fever or make&use a poultice or plaister because that’s what was generally done, so they’d see it and experience it themselves and then do it in their turn in adulthood.

We kinda threw the baby out with the bath water with a lot of this stuf. Some of it is being re-evaluated. Like leeches for example.

Those poultice recipes are quite specific bimble. How to make and use a poultice is actually pretty open. I learned about mouldy bread poultices for a boil from an old Irish woman. For the penicillin /antibiotic properties, although she didn’t know that. Also bread is starchy so it draws out the pus.

ETA
Ive had the time to read that article more closely now. just took a brief glimpse earlier. It has some good and interesting information in it, and more broad than I’d first thought. Thanks for posting it bimble

For the avoidance of doubt I am not peddling anything here. Not pushing or advocating anything. I am not making dangerous suggestions. Nothing I’ve said here is snake oil. Everything I’ve said here is supportable in science. If you think otherwise please take it up with me honestly rather than making judgmental assumptions about me. Thanks,

Last edited:
check the date of your tetanus jab....a very unlikely scenario, but a friend was sad because a friend of his is currently in an induced coma due to tetanus and it got me thinking that it´s probably 12 years since my last one, and I´m probably due a booster...I will ask the doctor when I go in for my routine visit in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Sue
check the date of your tetanus jab....a very unlikely scenario, but a friend was sad because a friend of his is currently in an induced coma due to tetanus and it got me thinking that it´s probably 12 years since my last one, and I´m probably due a booster...I will ask the doctor when I go in for my routine visit in the next couple of weeks.
Awful.

I had a booster a few years ago when I was at the GP about something else entirely and they happened to notice my tetanus jab had been a long time ago. Bit random tbh.

I should really get a tetanus jab coz I missed the booster you're meant to have in your teens and I'm always cleaning soil and manure and all sorts out of cuts from work, but last time I tried just ended up having a bizarre row with a nurse at my GP practice.
was it a row related to the nhs or was it something else, eg best south coast football team?

was it a row related to the nhs or was it something else, eg best south coast football team?
She asked what other vaccinations I wanted out of the stuff I'd missed but refused to give any information or advice as to what I could/should still have and apparently just expected me to choose based on what I liked the sound of. Also I had to work out my age rather than knowing it the second she asked, which was enough of a problem for her to mention it in her notes after the appt.

Back
Top Bottom