Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ditching iOS for Android

So far, so good.

1.Will need a FaceTime alternative and keep an eye on whether my wife's iCal is syncing nicely with my Google Calendar (they were before, as that's what i used anyway, so fingers crossed).

2.I miss the physical home button and don't really like the back button.

3.I like the phone too.

1. I find Google Duo reliable for face to face between Android using people - dunno about Applers using it and what their experience is like - does the Google Hangouts app still do video calling? Facebook Messenger? IMO? There are loads
  2. You need ButtonMapper - you can make them all do what you want, multiple things for different numbers of presses - I came from Motorola phones to an S7 so was kinda freaked by getting the home button back - so now to go Home I press the back button twice - no grubby physical pressing for me!
  3. Glad to hear it!

e2a: I don't recall how much I paid to get the functionality I have in Button Mapper, if I paid at all, b ut it certainly was nowhere near £14 - they quote a range of in app purchases ranging from 69p to £14.49 - just thought I'd mention that before you d/l

Oh, I know that, but the experience at the time was unforgettably awful, almost as bad as Apple's Quicktime for Windows. Both were total garbage and kept me clear of Apple products from thereon in.

Firstly, sincere condolences.

Apple Quicktime, there is a blast from the past. :)

Now I'm on an X without any kind of buttons. I love it, just swooshing my finger around to move around. Using my iPad Air and having to use the home button now grinds my gears. A back button would just puzzle me, but like the X, I'd probably just get used to it after a bit. I guess it comes down to preference, but I think you easily re-train your brain on how to use the device within just a few days.

I thought I might not like it, but yeah, in just a day, I found I really liked the swipe up. And yep, now the home button on my iPad feels clunky.

I thought I might not like it, but yeah, in just a day, I found I really liked the swipe up. And yep, now the home button on my iPad feels clunky.

Swiping is what I miss most about my old BlackBerry 10 phone. Easily the best OS I've used, and I'm glad that Apple are beginning to steal some of the best aspects :D

I use Android phones and also an ipad mini, the lack of a back button does do my nut on the ipad at times. It's also painfully slow but is quite old.

I see the appeal of apple stuff for their simplicity but it aint worth paying a massive premium in my eyes. (I got my ipad for free).

Let's face it, most people get iphones and macs for the logo and perceived prestige of using them, a 80 quid android phone does the same things as an 800 quid iphone, but you look more of a tight arse with a cheapo android sitting on the table next to your frappe and panini. Probably made in the same factory too. Capitalism working at it's very best/worst innit?

I use Android phones and also an ipad mini, the lack of a back button does do my nut on the ipad at times. It's also painfully slow but is quite old.

I see the appeal of apple stuff for their simplicity but it aint worth paying a massive premium in my eyes. (I got my ipad for free).

Let's face it, most people get iphones and macs for the logo and perceived prestige of using them, a 80 quid android phone does the same things as an 800 quid iphone, but you look more of a tight arse with a cheapo android sitting on the table next to your frappe and panini. Probably made in the same factory too. Capitalism working at it's very best/worst innit?

An 80 quid Android phone is a very different beast to a premium phone, no matter what OS the premium phone is running. The difference in screen quality and speed are the two that will be the most noticeable, but there are many more.

An 80 quid Android phone is a very different beast to a premium phone, no matter what OS the premium phone is running. The difference in screen quality and speed are the two that will be the most noticeable, but there are many more.

Maybe they are slightly quicker, but lets face it, grot videos in slightly higher definition may look 'nicer', but they are still grot videos.

:thumbs:

That's a shame, not that I use it anymore as I couldn't be bothered to reinstall it with the default keyboard doing gesture typing. I dunno if Swype was the first but it was the first I heard of or used and I never want to go back. Swype genuinely made a huge improvement to my experience of using my phone.

I have decided that once my current 5s dies I'm going to go android. The difference of buying a new phone for £150 or a second hand one from eBay for the same price.

I moved back to Android after 2 or 3 years of ios.
I'm glad, over all.

Any suggestions for a good android podcast app? I've tried a couple but they've been a bit shite.
Happy to pay a couple of quid

A few weeks in and I'm no longer noticing any difference in my experience. It obvs helps having a decent phone.

I moved back to Android after 2 or 3 years of ios.
I'm glad, over all.

Any suggestions for a good android podcast app? I've tried a couple but they've been a bit shite.
Happy to pay a couple of quid

Podcast Addict does it for me
I use the free version, ad supported. There is a pay version, three quid I think.

I have decided that once my current 5s dies I'm going to go android. The difference of buying a new phone for £150 or a second hand one from eBay for the same price.
So my phone hasn't died but the OH's has. He isn't as tech savvy as me so I am the one going to make the switch.

I had an experiment a while ago with an android phone a friend gave me for about a month and it was all good apart from space and music.

It was only a 16gb phone so I decided as long as when I bought a new one it had enough space I'd be fine.

I upped my budget a bit and have ordered an Honor 9 that's coming on Monday.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Excited as this will be the first brand new phone I've had in about 10 years, having only been buying second hand iPhones from eBay in that time.

Nervous as this is me properly going away from iOS. There will be no back up handset to fall back on.

I'll let you know.

So my phone hasn't died but the OH's has. He isn't as tech savvy as me so I am the one going to make the switch.

I had an experiment a while ago with an android phone a friend gave me for about a month and it was all good apart from space and music.

It was only a 16gb phone so I decided as long as when I bought a new one it had enough space I'd be fine.

I upped my budget a bit and have ordered an Honor 9 that's coming on Monday.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Excited as this will be the first brand new phone I've had in about 10 years, having only been buying second hand iPhones from eBay in that time.

Nervous as this is me properly going away from iOS. There will be no back up handset to fall back on.

I'll let you know.

Now your free of iOS you could add another 128gb for sub £30...

Now your free of iOS you could add another 128gb for sub £30...
Well, this is the thing that annoys me about android .

They give it you can add a SD card, but there are so many apps that don't support it. Even when you get one that can be formatted as I did when I had my experiment.

So I have bought a 64gb phone, which my iPhone is, so I should be fine . And I will add and format my SD card that I bought and also put as much as I can on that and have more space.

They give it you can add a SD card, but there are so many apps that don't support it. Even when you get one that can be formatted as I did when I had my experiment.

So I have bought a 64gb phone, which my iPhone is, so I should be fine . And I will add and format my SD card that I bought and also put as much as I can on that and have more space.
Almost all of the big apps I use support the SD card, but its main use is for filling up with photos and tunes.

I've had an android tablet for about 6 years. 8gb, and 28gb SD card . I might as well only have 6gb.

Luckily I only really use it as an ereader but when I've wanted to use it for more I've been blocked .

Basic stuff like weather and trains won't go on SD card . Same as social media stuff. Never mind any games .

Sure. But you can put all your photos and music on it, leaving more space on the phone.

There is good reason for it. SD cards could be slower and less reliable then the internal memory, so even if you can put apps on there, I don't bother. Mind you with 64gb internal that would be a lot of apps.

Last edited:
Couldn’t go back to 64gb. It was driving me nuts!

View attachment 141230

I know an Android thread, but seeing your photos usage has reminded me that, I have no idea what the iPhone X does different, but since I've had it, and I've took a lot of photos and videos, the storage for them on he actual phone has never, and I mean never, gone more than 200MB. I know it uses some HEIC format, which converts to jpg also when you use iCloud, or if it's the iOS rather than the X itself. It's something I need to look into more on how/why it's doing this. Not that am I complaining because photo storage and not easily being able to tidy up the cache for photos/videos that were happily stored on iCloud was a big problem when I had an iPhone 6 with less storage.

Sorry for the tangent guys! :(

I have no idea what the iPhone X does different, but since I've had it, and I've took a lot of photos and videos, the storage for them on he actual phone has never, and I mean never, gone more than 200MB.
Check in Settings, Photos and you probably have Optimise Storage turned on. This aggressively relies on iCloud to store the actual photos, while keeping a thumbnail cache on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom