Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dawn of War II - Warhammer 40k win!

These arcane security hoops are getting effing ridiculous.
I have a complete game DVD right here, yet it still takes 15 minutes to install.
Steam, Games for Windows, blah de blah de bollocks

GTAIV was a big enough pain the arse
(No, I wouldn't like tie my ea account into my games for windows account tbh, I rather you just let me play the fucking game I've just bought)

I'm liking the single-player campaign, but multi just... Lacks. I know they're trying to bring some of the to-and-fro'ing from Company of Heroes into Dawn of War, but it's just not working. Matter of fact, playing DoW2 multi made me go back and reinstall CoH instead.

It sounds like they're actually going even closer to the board game in terms of scale. Yer typical 2000 point space marine army's what, 3 squads and a tank and a commander and a psyker?

that sounds like a confession to me? :) you don't reckon you might squeeze a Dreadnought or Landspeeder in there, prolly depend if you go for the Terminators eh?

I have a sub £500 1yr old laptop (Toshiba equium AMD X2 64 bit/2Gb ram /128mb ATI Radeon card) which will just run things like X3 Reunion (sooo pretty) so I'm hoping that my new copy of DOW2 waiting at my GFs house will run...

Am I the only one geeky enough to notice that the Assault Marines in DoW II are beakies?

I can be even sadder and tell you that that is Mk6 "Corvus" Power Armour.

My fave was always the MkIII "Iron" Armour.

MkVIII is by far the coolest. The original MkVII which is the most common type used for the miniatures wasn't actually sculpted by Jes Goodwin (who has made most of the Space Marine models over the years) - the MkVIII was him putting his personal stamp on what Space Marines should look like.

I can be even sadder and tell you that that is Mk6 "Corvus" Power Armour.

My fave was always the MkIII "Iron" Armour.

MkVIII is by far the coolest. The original MkVII which is the most common type used for the miniatures wasn't actually sculpted by Jes Goodwin (who has made most of the Space Marine models over the years) - the MkVIII was him putting his personal stamp on what Space Marines should look like.

Heh I still remembered all that. I like the MkVII's myself the most...

I'm not sure I like this chapter mind you, I know it's the one that was in the last DOW, but come on, compare it to the Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood angels etc (except the Ultramarines, they were lame) and it just seems very unimaginative.

I'm not sure I like this chapter mind you, I know it's the one that was in the last DOW, but come on, compare it to the Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood angels etc (except the Ultramarines, they were lame) and it just seems very unimaginative.

The Blood Ravens are definately rubbish.. one imagines they didnt want to annoy the fanbois by picking one of the old Chapters.

TBH the whole game is deeply underwhelming, its much less free roaming even than the last one was (and nowhere near as good as Soulstorm which remains my favourite). This is the curse of WH40k computer games though, they are nearly always (VOTBA and DoW 1 aside) deeply disappointing.

The Blood Ravens are definately rubbish.. one imagines they didnt want to annoy the fanbois by picking one of the old Chapters.

TBH the whole game is deeply underwhelming, its much less free roaming even than the last one was (and nowhere near as good as Soulstorm which remains my favourite). This is the curse of WH40k computer games though, they are nearly always (VOTBA and DoW 1 aside) deeply disappointing.

GW rarely let licensees use main canon elements of the 40K universe.

Deep down they probably resent the video games as it's not proper wargaming.

DOWII has been top of the US PC games chart for a couple of weeks now - pretty good stuff considering PC games are massively pirated - the rest of the chart is dominated by WOW (can't be pirated) and The Sims (target market wouldn't know how to pirate a game) - they've probably made more money than GW makes in a year.

DOWII has been top of the US PC games chart for a couple of weeks now - pretty good stuff considering PC games are massively pirated - the rest of the chart is dominated by WOW (can't be pirated) and The Sims (target market wouldn't know how to pirate a game) - they've probably made more money than GW makes in a year.

You're having a laugh. The PC game is what, £30? A couple of figures a paintbrush and a handful of colours would cost the same, never mind the boxed sets.

I think the reason the games are a bit less than the table top ones (if they are) is because it's too hard to balance PC gaming like that.

I also think that Games Workshop will like the fact that a whole new type of gamer has been introduced to the universe.

I'd imagine GW generates more income, but their costs for all those shops must be astronomical. I wouldn't be surprised if the game generated more profit than GW does in a year.

I'd imagine GW generates more income, but their costs for all those shops must be astronomical. I wouldn't be surprised if the game generated more profit than GW does in a year.

Aren't they franchises?

No, their financial results talk about them as if they're owned. They discuss closing unprofitable shops and hiring more staff for the ones they have.

They've lost money in both of the past years to the tune of £10M. And that's only on revenues of £110M. Not good. Though they are at least slightly profitable before write-downs and one time costs.

Didn't the makers of warcraft approach GW? When GW told them to F off they invented the Warcraft idea. Now Blizzard have more money than god and GW are still flogging lead minatures...

To be fair I actually managed to play a game of the re-vamped Space Hulk (I practically forced my flatmate) and I thought it was well balanced and computer game-esque - totally different from my era of 40k (around 1994)

Bumped because the new expansion "Retribution" has been released. It features hat-obsessed Ork pirates from Somerset in their own playable campaign, as well as five others (one for each race).

:D

Back
Top Bottom